• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

I paid to have it put on.

many years ago i bought it off ebay raw...bought it as unrestored (back when you had to send money orders through the mail)...sent it to cgc and they gave it a restored graded of  4.0...then i sent it for professional restoration...the restoration guy said he saw some color touch but wasnt able to remove it properly so we decided he would work the book to get as high a grade as possible.  then i sent it to CGG (which was new at the time) and they gave it the current grade.

Edited by rucnok

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

Same book from the Weiss auction that sold alongside the Tec 29 

6 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

I think so. A 2.5 sold in auction on ebay for under $10K.

But on the flipside, 2 different copies of Showcase 4 with the top 1/3rd of the front cover cut off and issues on the bottom sold for $3K and $4600 and those books are likely 0.5 copies. So the floor seems to be going up but the lower grade copies don't seem to appreciate that much per grade point.

9 hours ago, Iceman399 said:

what did it sell for there?

The Showcase 4 originally sold for $45K plus the commission at the Phil Weiss auction.

The commission would have been 13% if the buyer had paid by check within 10 days (otherwise 15% commission)

Under best case circumstances, at 13% commission, the Weiss sale total would come out to $50,850 ($45K + $5,850 commission)

The final floor bid at Heritage was $36K ($43K includes buyer's fee)

I think Heritage charges sellers a15% commission normally.

So, total for the seller at Heritage would be $30,600 ($36K minus 15% ($5,400)

That means the seller took a hit of over $20K from the February Weiss auction buy to the May Heritage sale.

This assumes that the original Weiss buyer was a dealer or someone with a resale number (no tax involved) and not Heritage themselves or someone who negotiated a better seller's fee from Heritage.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Showcase-4-CGC-1-8-Cream-To-Off-White-Pages-First-Silver-Age-Flash-DC-1956/263702073218?hash=item3d65de4f82:g:7ewAAOSwJdBbAise

I am a noob when it comes to CGC (I like to read my books) but was looking at this and to my untrained eye that left boot and belt look like it has been colour touched. If so why no purple label. Does the colour touch have to go through to the other side, or when it gets that low it does not matter.

Thanks

17 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

Just wondering whether Showcase 4 lived up to the editorial in Showcase 1.  What was in the future of Showcase? 

42324766442_dc0652520f_b.jpg

Neat. Never seen that before (as I've never owned a Showcase #1)

On 5/22/2018 at 10:39 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Showcase-4-CGC-1-8-Cream-To-Off-White-Pages-First-Silver-Age-Flash-DC-1956/263702073218?hash=item3d65de4f82:g:7ewAAOSwJdBbAise

I am a noob when it comes to CGC (I like to read my books) but was looking at this and to my untrained eye that left boot and belt look like it has been colour touched. If so why no purple label. Does the colour touch have to go through to the other side, or when it gets that low it does not matter.

Thanks

First off, CGC will consider intent. Is a spot of color an attempt at cover up or an accidental drop of a pen ? In this case, I think I see what you are referring to. To me, it looks like some pencil marks. 

On 5/10/2018 at 2:58 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Sometimes books slip through the cracks at auction. I recently sold a CGC 6.5 for $70K (shameless plug, yes I do have my 5.0 on eBay now :smile: )

On 5/22/2018 at 8:39 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Thanks

I see no color touch. Just pencil shavings.