• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

Wow...the Showcase 4 9.2 only sold for $51000. :o

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have no desire to own this book, and judging from the final bid, I suppose others put their money in other books. I am curious, however, if folks think this final bid is high/low/about right price for this book.

The market is down almost all across...so this is not the usual.

It has had higher bids but with the price that the 9.4 and 9.6 sold for I just don't think this book can get to 90-100K. I do think it could pull 70 easy if on Heritage at no reserve.

I think the market may be down but I also think this book has been around for awhile and the asking price is so known that the serious bidders are not going to try since they are not willing to pay the reserve. But thats just my 2 cents.

It met reserve at $51K?

Last Bid: $51,000 (Reserve Not Met)

That's a great book...too bad reserve not met. It's been for around a while , but it should eventually sell. If the seller should have just sold it back 5 years ago for around 80000 and put that money in the CD (around 5% back then), then that person would have collected $20000 interest.

here is my copy.

sadly it has amatuer color touch on the spine

showcase4.jpg

This may be true, but at least you can open and read it without fear your squandering your kids inheritance lol

It has had higher bids but with the price that the 9.4 and 9.6 sold for I just don't think this book can get to 90-100K. I do think it could pull 70 easy if on Heritage at no reserve.

I think the market may be down but I also think this book has been around for awhile and the asking price is so known that the serious bidders are not going to try since they are not willing to pay the reserve. But thats just my 2 cents.

Couldnt have said it any better.

I think the market may be down but I also think this book has been around and shopped unmercilessly for awhile and the asking price is so known that the serious bidders are not going to try since they are not willing to pay the reserve. But thats just my 2 cents.

Couldnt have said it any better.

Agreed, although I added an edit to improve one part slightly.

Edited by tth2

It met reserve at $51K?

Last Bid: $51,000 (Reserve Not Met)

Sun will rise in the east, the tide will roll in, swallows will return to Capistrano... some things never change.

Its in the CL sale section at $89k ($80k to seller). So I suppose we know the cap on the book.

Its a book I'm interested in but I have focused on other comics to date where there are "one-off" opportunities to purchase.

Its in the CL sale section at $89k ($80k to seller).

Sigh.

Sorry Tim, you may be disappointed with me, but I don't agree with your logic about shopping it around. It has been offered on my website and ebay store and appeared in perhaps one auction every year or 18 months. Anyone who bothers to check the census, or read the description, will know it is the ONLY copy that exists in grade. And anyone willing, or able, to spend that kind of money will presumably know that it has been or is available for sale. There are very few people out there who can spend that kind of money so I don't see how the book being available and my attempting to sell it through different venues which have different audiences at different times hurts the sales price.

When it was in the CC auction it reached something like $75k. I bought it for $62k in 2004. The 9.6 sold for a low $180k I believe and the 9.4 sold for $160k. I don't see why $90k - $100k is not reasonable for a 9.2.

I also don't believe in the mechanics that someone apply to prices between 9.6 to 9.4 to 9.2. Perhaps if there were dozens of copies in each grade some fractional application might be appropriate. But when there is ONE copy in each grade I fail to see how any type of percentage really applies. Plus, so far as we know, the 9.4 and the 9.6 are currently out of circulation and who knows when they will be offered again. So this is the highest graded copy available for sale. And, as far as I am concerned, while my price tag is nothing to sneeze at and is only possible for a small group of people having to pay 1 1/2x to 2x that amount for the 9.4 or 9.6 is yet another level up entirely.

Of course, anyone is free to disagree and you obviously do, but this is my opinion and I'm sticking to it! :P

Mark,

Keep waiting. As long as you don't need the money you will eventually get your price. That is a fantastic book. I don't know about the 9.4 but the 9.6 is a very weak grade and I would bet money it won't see the light of day for years.

Sigh.

Sorry Tim, you may be disappointed with me, but I don't agree with your logic about shopping it around. It has been offered on my website and ebay store and appeared in perhaps one auction every year or 18 months. Anyone who bothers to check the census, or read the description, will know it is the ONLY copy that exists in grade. And anyone willing, or able, to spend that kind of money will presumably know that it has been or is available for sale. There are very few people out there who can spend that kind of money so I don't see how the book being available and my attempting to sell it through different venues which have different audiences at different times hurts the sales price.

When it was in the CC auction it reached something like $75k. I bought it for $62k in 2004. The 9.6 sold for a low $180k I believe and the 9.4 sold for $160k. I don't see why $90k - $100k is not reasonable for a 9.2.

I also don't believe in the mechanics that someone apply to prices between 9.6 to 9.4 to 9.2. Perhaps if there were dozens of copies in each grade some fractional application might be appropriate. But when there is ONE copy in each grade I fail to see how any type of percentage really applies. Plus, so far as we know, the 9.4 and the 9.6 are currently out of circulation and who knows when they will be offered again. So this is the highest graded copy available for sale. And, as far as I am concerned, while my price tag is nothing to sneeze at and is only possible for a small group of people having to pay 1 1/2x to 2x that amount for the 9.4 or 9.6 is yet another level up entirely.

Of course, anyone is free to disagree and you obviously do, but this is my opinion and I'm sticking to it! :P

Mark, it's your book and you're entitled to do with it what you will. Your arguments make perfect sense on paper, but sometimes theories don't translate into reality. I disagree with your strategy with the book, and the fact that it's still unsold despite your best efforts for the past FIVE YEARS should be telling you that it's time to reassess your strategy. Even Dan Snyder is finally admitting that his approach to owning a football team has been wrong.

Sigh.

Mark, it's your book and you're entitled to do with it what you will. Your arguments make perfect sense on paper, but sometimes theories don't translate into reality. I disagree with your strategy with the book, and the fact that it's still unsold despite your best efforts for the past FIVE YEARS should be telling you that it's time to reassess your strategy. Even Dan Snyder is finally admitting that his approach to owning a football team has been wrong.

I could respect you for everything you've said until you added in the Snyder comment!! (tsk):slapfight:

Sigh.

I could respect you for everything you've said until you added in the Snyder comment!! (tsk):slapfight:

what are you trying to say, that the ole ballcoach was a mistake :o

Sigh.

what are you trying to say, that the ole ballcoach was a mistake :o

:popcorn: