• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will the real Superman please stand up

Who is the REAL Superman  

249 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the REAL Superman

62 posts in this topic

CLEVELAND -- When Shaquille O'Neal walked into Quicken Loans Arena, past the security checkpoint, through the loading dock and past the visitors locker room with a "Magic" decal magnetically affixed to the large steel door, there was a frown on his face.

He arrived for his latest game against the Magic and his uncomfortable counterpart -- and, whether he likes it or not, his heir -- with some fresh wounds.

O'Neal admits the club scene in Cleveland is rather tame, and says that living way out in the suburbs and in Greater Cleveland's often smothering snow belt keeps him in on most cold winter nights. He's been watching a lot of TV, a lot of "SportsCenter" in fact, and he couldn't have missed Dwight Howard's latest Superman imitation.

Howard plays Clark Kent, who comes to check on Lois Lane stand-in Hannah Storm after she's just been saved from an office fire by Superman. "This is SportsCenter," the ad says. This is also what fuels O'Neal's apparent contempt for the young man who plays in his old city at his old position and uses his superhero persona.

"Superman my a--," O'Neal said after the game, releasing the statement like he'd been waiting to say it for months and couldn't hold it in anymore.

When the game began -- a contest that ended with the Cavs' 13th consecutive win, and second this season over Orlando -- O'Neal felt teammates coming to double-team Howard, and his anger boiled over.

The first time Howard got the ball, he made a standard move, hopping to the middle of the lane and setting up to shoot over his left shoulder. Only O'Neal hacked him for no reason and picked up a needless foul, but it did send a message. Before long, the two were elbowing and shoving.

Toward the end of the game, they were at it again. Each had five fouls and the game was on the line; the score was tied, with lots of the focus on the two big men around the basket. But the finish belonged to O'Neal.

He had a dunk and a layup on Howard and pulled down three key defensive rebounds. Howard went scoreless over the final 7½ minutes and a close game turned lopsided. Some of it was because the Magic, as they tend to do when they lose, forgot about Howard and didn't feed him the ball. And some of it was because O'Neal refused to allow Howard to get position and refused to accept help to do so.

Howard had 19 points and 11 rebounds in just 31 minutes. O'Neal had just 10 and six in less than 20 minutes, but O'Neal clearly felt it was one-sided.

When the locker room opened, O'Neal was well-dressed and waiting. He had a plane ready to take him to Dallas, where he won't be an All-Star like Howard but instead will be a party host and a fan. But the jet could wait and so could a question about the Cavs' Black Heritage Celebration this night. He shooed the question away.

oneal

When I was coming up and there was Pat Ewing and Hakeem [Olajuwon], I never doubled anybody. You tell me who the real Superman is.

” -- Cavs center Shaquille O'Neal

All season he's held his tongue. Repeating quotes about accepting a sidekick role to LeBron James and just wanting to be a role player, often referring to himself as a "tender 38," when that birthday hasn't even arrived yet. But this time he was ready to be the old Shaq and do it at Howard's expense, apparently for liking the same superhero and playing the same position in the same town where O'Neal started.

"When I was coming up and there was Pat Ewing and Hakeem [Olajuwon], I never doubled anybody," O'Neal said. "You tell me who the real Superman is."

Then more he talked, the more venom he released, a soothing of his ego and a return to his years of waging psychological warfare on his opponents in the media. He even started quoting Jay-Z.

"Don't compare me to nobody. I'd rather not be mentioned, I'm offended," O'Neal said.

When O'Neal was introduced in Cleveland back in July, three different times he said the Cavs would not be double-teaming centers. Once he said it to Cavs coach Mike Brown's face, creating some discomfort on the stage.

What O'Neal really meant was not double-teaming Howard, which O'Neal saw the Cavs do from a courtside seat in the Eastern Conference finals in Orlando. The Cavs haven't this season, and they're now 2-0 against the Magic.

There's pride that it is working and pride that the Magic don't play him the same way, a green light to take more shots at Howard, the reigning Defensive Player of the Year.

"Don't let them double-team me and make it a him versus me thing," O'Neal said. "Been doing it 18 years straight. Hakeem, Ewing, Rik Smits, [Tim] Duncan, [David] Robinson, the best of the best, straight up. I never doubled nobody. Nor have I ever asked for a double-team. If want to bang and push, let's bang and push. You're all giving away [superman] titles, it's crazy."

There is indeed some craziness. It probably will be renewed a week from Sunday when the Cavs travel to Orlando for another meeting. A chance for O'Neal's personal rivalry to be restoked, whether Howard acknowledges it or not.

His teammates know; they've seen the commercials, too.

"The whole Superman thing kind of bothers him," James said with a smirk, purposely understating the situation. "That's definitely his nickname, and the fact that everybody kind of gave Dwight his name kind of bothers him a little bit."

Dwight Howard is a slightly better center than Shaq was in his prime. Today's Howard and a young Shaq had pretty much the same field goal percentage, blocks per game and rebounds per game. However, even with Howard's dismal free throw percentage, he is a significantly better free throw shooter than Shaq has been.

I don't even know why Shaq is trying to contend with Howard, in the present. Today's Shaq is nowhere near as dominant as Howard is, in any aspect of the game.

Never been a Shaq fan - too much nonsense off the court...

Can't believe the whole "Tell me how my @$$ tastes" thing didn't result in suspension. I am a straight up Kobe h8ter but that was just in poor taste and Shaq-fu came off like a jerk-off. Redicules.

Dwight Howard is a slightly better center than Shaq was in his prime. Today's Howard and a young Shaq had pretty much the same field goal percentage, blocks per game and rebounds per game. However, even with Howard's dismal free throw percentage, he is a significantly better free throw shooter than Shaq has been.

I don't even know why Shaq is trying to contend with Howard, in the present. Today's Shaq is nowhere near as dominant as Howard is, in any aspect of the game.

Hakeem in his prime would destroy Howard and did destroy Shaq.

How many titles and championship games was Shaq in during his prime? There was a reason they have the Jordan Rules and the Hack a Shaq rules too. There are no Howard rules...

I've never been able to watch more than a minute of Pro basketball without changing the channel.

Since Michael Jordan left the game, I have been the same way.

-slym

Michael Jordan is the single most overrated basketball player in history. Perhaps, the most overrated sports figure in history. The man is idolized.

Statistics don't lie. He was a great player, but there are plenty of others who were (are) better. Steve Nash, John Stockton and Larry Bird to name a few.

Hakeem in his prime would destroy Howard and did destroy Shaq.

Actually, both Howard and Shaq have better career field goal % and rebounds per game.

However, Olajuwan, is a superior shot blocker and free throw shooter.

I've never been able to watch more than a minute of Pro basketball without changing the channel.

-slym

Michael Jordan is the single most overrated basketball player in history. Perhaps, the most overrated sports figure in history. The man is idolized.

Statistics don't lie. He was a great player, but there are plenty of others who were (are) better. Steve Nash, John Stockton and Larry Bird to name a few.

This is an interesting analysis.... Care to expand on this thinking?

-slym

Like I said, I believe was a great player (worthy of hall of fame status)...but so many make the claim that he is the greatest player there has been, and I disagree.

He had a great field goal percentage, of 49.7%. However, people get blinded by his total points scored. There other players that were more efficient in their shooting, but didn't score as many total points because they took fewer shots.

As far as 3-point shooting goes, Jordan was only an average shooter, with 32.7%. In my opinion, a good 3-point shooter needs to have 35% or higher. 37% or higher to be a great 3-point shooter, 40% or higher to be a legendary one. Fortunate for the Bulls, they had Steve Kerr who was the single best 3-point shooter there has ever been.

Jordan was a "good" free throw shooter, but not a great one, with 83.5%. In my opinion, to be considered a "great" free throw shooter, a player should have 85% or higher. 90% or higher to be a legendary free throw shooter.

He averaged 5.3 assists per game, 6.2 rebounds per game, 2.3 steals, and 2.7 turnovers per game.

Comparing him to Larry Bird, for example:

Field goal: 49.6%; nearly identical

3-point shooting: 37.6%; greatly in favor of Bird.

Rebounds per game: 10.0; greatly in favor of Bird.

Free throw percentage: 88.6%; greatly in favor of Bird.

Steal per game: 1.7; Jordan was the superior stealer.

Turnovers per game: 3.1; Jordan was better at taking care of the ball.

As a 100% non-Sports interested male, I read the whole piece above and understood this:

Someone called someone else something, and then someone did something to someone else, and there was something to do with a basketball court, and then they were quoting someone or each other or something, and I think Superman flew in at one point and handed out comic books, and as everyone enjoyed a raspberry flavoured popsicle they turned to Rabbit, who commented: "I don't see much sense in that," and Pooh said humbly: "No, there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."

Is that about right? (shrug)

-slym

Like I said, I believe was a great player (worthy of hall of fame status)...but so many make the claim that he is the greatest player there has been, and I disagree.

He had a great field goal percentage, of 49.7%. However, people get blinded by his total points scored. There other players that were more efficient in their shooting, but didn't score as many total points because they took fewer shots.

As far as 3-point shooting goes, Jordan was only an average shooter, with 32.7%. In my opinion, a good 3-point shooter needs to have 35% or higher. 37% or higher to be a great 3-point shooter, 40% or higher to be a legendary one. Fortunate for the Bulls, they had Steve Kerr who was the single best 3-point shooter there has ever been.

Jordan was a "good" free throw shooter, but not a great one, with 83.5%. In my opinion, to be considered a "great" free throw shooter, a player should have 85% or higher. 90% or higher to be a legendary free throw shooter.

He averaged 5.3 assists per game, 6.2 rebounds per game, 2.3 steals, and 2.7 turnovers per game.

Comparing him to Larry Bird, for example:

Field goal: 49.6%; nearly identical

3-point shooting: 37.6%; greatly in favor of Bird.

Rebounds per game: 10.0; greatly in favor of Bird.

Free throw percentage: 88.6%; greatly in favor of Bird.

Steal per game: 1.7; Jordan was the superior stealer.

Turnovers per game: 3.1; Jordan was better at taking care of the ball.

Someday I am going to introduce you to my dad, BIG LARRY BIRD fan, always telling me that he was better than Jordan. And honestly, he did a lot of the little things people never recognized. Both were greats. But I have to admit, I have become more and more of a Bird fan after looking at stats and watching highlights.

I mean, even when I play now, every few games someone mentions...

Watch me Bird Dunk.

Now that is longevity lol

JJ

You conveniently left out 6 NBA Championships versus 3 NBA Championships.

This is why Steve Nash and John Stockton are not even in this conversation.

Michael Jordan is rarely considered the best of all time in any case. I lived in Massachusetts during the 80's but I still consider Jordan to be more successful. The man retired from basketball for two years to play baseball, then came back and won THREE more championships.

Bird:

Honors: Elected to Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame (1998);

NBA champion (1981, '84, '86);

NBA Finals MVP (1984, '86);

NBA MVP (1984, '85, '86);

Nine-time All-NBA First Team (1980-88);

All-NBA Second Team (1990);

All-Defensive Second Team (1982, '83, '84);

NBA Rookie of the Year (1980);

One of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History (1996);

Olympic gold medalist (1992).

Jordan:

Honors: Six-time NBA champion (1991-93, 1996-98);

NBA MVP (1988, '91, '92, '96, '98);

10-time All-NBA First Team (1987-93, 1996-98);

All-NBA Second Team (1985);

Defensive Player of the Year (1988);

Nine-time All-Defensive First Team (1988-93, 1996-98);

Rookie of the Year (1985);

14-time All-Star;

All-Star MVP (1988, '96, '98);

One of 50 Greatest Players in NBA History (1996);

Two-time Olympic gold medalist (1984, '92).

You cannot boil down Jordan in statistics. That's all I will say. I never said he was the best a this or that, I only said after he left the NBA, I stopped watching.

-slym

This is correct.

In the 1990's there were people that NEVER watched basketball but they would watch Jordan.

He was bigger than the game.

He also took athletes pitching products to new heights (for better or for worse)

You conveniently left out 6 NBA Championships versus 3 NBA Championships.

Championships are irrelavent when talking about an individual player. Jordan did not win the championships--the Bulls did.

When all of the stars align, and you have the good fortune to be on a good team, you win championships. Jordan did not win them by himself. If Jordan were on the Clippers, instead of the Bulls, I'd say that he would have 0 championships to his name.

Steve Nash is one of the greatest players ever. Yet, he plays on a mediocre team, which is why they are having trouble even making a playoff spot.