• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Split CGC case + drastic tempature change = condensation inside
1 1

18 posts in this topic

I wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem.

To start with its cold here.. witches upper chest area cold....really cold

Got a few items in mail today, 1 of which was a CGC comic, bought on Ebay.

I of course greedily opend my box, removed padding, and took out my new purchase.

Much to my horror, 893whatthe.gif I watched it as it totally fogged up started sweating , inside and out of the case , , I wiped off the case, looked at the case, and while it was not totaly open, the side seams of the case were split , and I guess this alowed hot air to get inside the CGC case when it was still at sub zero temp.

Now I have tiny water spots inside my CGC case from condensation, and my Blue lable is permantly wrinkled. frown.gif

Looks like the inner holder kept my comic safe though.

I think it is safe to say, that if you live in a cold region to be wary of how fast you expose your CGC case to really warm air. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Lets hope this only happened to me, as It wasnt a fun experience.

Zeman

It's always either cold or luke warm here so I keep my books in a controlled environment. Obviously the thing you can't control is the temperature while the book is being shipped to you or beforehand when the person was storing it. At least you know the actual book is safe.. for now.

Brian

I wiped off the case, looked at the case, and while it was not totaly open, the side seams of the case were split , and I guess this alowed hot air to get inside the CGC case when it was still at sub zero temp.

If I read dat right, the case isn't split. CGC cases are only sealed at each of da four corners, so the side seams of the outer cover aren't air or water tight.

Reminds me of a post a made when I first got here. Do you think people would be put off of an Amazing Spiderman #129 CGC 9.8 if you had stored it in your full bath? 893whatthe.gif

Buy the label, not the comic! Who's willing to risk it?

If I read dat right, the case isn't split. CGC cases are only sealed at each of da four corners, so the side seams of the outer cover aren't air or water tight.

Yup yup, I went back and looked at all my CGC cases, they are indeed not glued, this one just seemed to get bowed out very easily, more then the others .

I will now let the Prority box sit in the house for a few hours before opening, to bring it up to temp.

Yup yup, I went back and looked at all my CGC cases, they are indeed not glued, this one just seemed to get bowed out very easily, more then the others .

I will now let the Prority box sit in the house for a few hours before opening, to bring it up to temp.

I'm thinking maybe it was wrapped tightly enough that the natural gap in the sides of the case sealed temporarily and when you unwrapped it the temp seal was broken. Maybe a case of packing being to good? confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm thinking maybe it was wrapped tightly enough that the natural gap in the sides of the case sealed temporarily and when you unwrapped it the temp seal was broken. Maybe a case of packing being to good? confused-smiley-013.gif

Great - so now we have to worry about people packing stuff too well? Frightening thought. "Dear seller: please don't pack the comic(s) too well, as I'm concerned about condensation buildup" 893frustrated.gif

I've had the same problem with top & bottom side edges have split & bowed apart with a 2 MM gap. The sleeve was very tight & I had difficulty removing it, after which the seal broke. The comic looks wavy & moisture entering is a big concern, anyone have the same problem?

53 minutes ago, wolverine180 said:

I was under impression that the inner wells are sealed. Therefore water and air tight. Is this not the case?

Nothing is "air" tight about the case i know that.... 

On almost anything valuable or fragile I buy (not just comics) during colder months, I let the unopened box sit for several hours. Fast changes in temperature are never good and it can take a while for the inside to get up to room temperature. I did once get sloppy and open up a package with a graded card pretty soon after getting it; it started to fog up immediately so I shoved it back in the packaging and left it alone. It turned out okay.

A fella I knew told me a story about him and his band traveling in the 70s.  It was winter time and below freezing outside.  He said the van they'd been traveling in had been sitting outside in the night time air for hours.  One of the guys in the band went outside to get a Gibson Les Paul from the van to bring inside and play a little.  Before he could say "Don't open the case!", the guy opened it.  Being that it went from extreme cold, to super warm in an instant, he told me that the finish on the guitar cracked all over.  I don't know if this actually happened or if the guy was pulling my leg, but it's an interesting story.