• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade game!

310 posts in this topic

Hi fellow comic fanatics! Thought this would be fun! Here is a new game I thought up, not sure if anyone else is doing this so, thought I'd just give it a go.

Guess the grade of this comic! Imagine the rest of the book is beautiful without defects. What do you think the best possible grade could be of this comic judging by the cover alone!

Looking forward to your guess! After a few days, I'll post the full scan with the grade and see how close people can guess! Thanks for your participation!

please wait to respond until I can get the photo visible!!!! THANKS!

sensation1guesscropped.jpg

casarachi

Quote {Should we play guess the shill instead?}

Not sure what this question means.

Also.... it's quite surreal to me that 3 people have said 9.4, in fact, that's the only grade suggested thus far. Not even a 9.0 or 9.2. WOW! Sounds like a science, not an art. I'm confused.

I will admit now my reason for starting this thread is I wanted to buy this but didn't agree with the grade bestowed upon it.

I'm quite surprised (being in the hobby for 30 years+) to hear these opinions given the color fleck, dust shadow(which the pages on the edges are probably darkened as well, and pencil, and oh yeah, the mis-cut bottom page or back cover at the bottom which is appears tan, would suggest such a high grade.

How could one comment "off white pages" without seeing inside? (though again, I do state imagine the best possible grade given all else is a 10.0)

If I were buying this book, i personally wouldn't pay more than 7.0. 7.5 at best,.... a 9.4 suggests a 100K$ for this book.

I must have been buying off some "strict" graders all these years.

yeah, there's a pic posted, I can see it, you can't?

booz, when you say "oh nonsense", in what way are you talking?

Your over my head on that. lol

If I sent this book in to get graded, I know it wouldn't come back better than a 7.0 and you guys are all good wtih 9.4? I'm stumped.

I really am stumpedified here. A 9.4 suggests a book that looks like it just came off the stands. Do books that are new come with 1x10.5 inch dustshadows?

Heck, it's hard to get a book new off the stands better than 9.2! that's why Overstreet lists 9.2 as the highest grade.

Not to mention the pencil. It's not an arrival date, it's a name. It's not "mile", (definitely NOT MILE HIGH) looks like "mule"!!!!!! This is OK on a 9.4? (your estimates so far)

Sorry but so far, I'm blown away.

:acclaim:

a .2 difference is $1000's upon 1000's difference, and you guys act like it's an "easy/no brainer grade at 9.4"

I just read on another thread "GA bump" Does this mean, they have "lieniancy" because it's almost 70 years old? I was brought up that you grade a golden age comic the same as you would a new comic. That age is not an excuse for "wear & tear".

I respectfully disagree with the guessing' so far.

How could one comment "off white pages" without seeing inside?

That's easy enough...I just went to Heritage's auction archive and read it off the CGC label.

lol

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7017&Lot_No=92076

If someone on the other post can loose half a grade with re-submission,(on a 5.0 never mind a 9.4!!!!) then why in the world would anyone pay double guide for a book that if re-submitted might be a 9.0?

I don't like 3rd party grading. too many politics involved.