• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on CGC GRADING (((POLL)))

167 posts in this topic

no problem, easily done

Thank you for understanding, blowout! (phew!). grin.gif

just hope ricky isn't looking

Oh no no! Hope Ricky IS looking since he started the thread. There is an unwritten law stating one may not hijack a thread they started, nor contribute to said hijacking! tongue.gif

there is ample evidence out there to suggest that they grade differently in regards to books from different eras

Indeedy. What really troubles me is that those who submit GA books seem to be at the literal whim of CGC. It is not a fair predicament to be in nor should someone who is paying for the grading have to encounter. A sad thing.

well it was explained to me that books pre 1954 (was the date I believe) can have tiny color touch and get the blue lable. This was done basically to not of the big $ holders of the Edgar Church collection who got magic marker crazy back in the old days. So those big keys from the Mile High that were touched up wouldnt get the dreaded purple kiss of death. Fair? it doesnt affect me so I wont comment. On one hand the Mile High's are so damned nice it would be stupid to devalue a one of a kind pedigree but......... I figure grading standards are changing alll the time as the big players say they typically will go. I remember books with tape repairs would grade no better than good at one time now I see fine copies wioth small repairs. And a chunk out of the cover would relegate you to the Poor/fair section yet I saw a Action 1 with approx 1/10 of the cover out as a good+. Dont worry when I hit the Lotto or find the next Mile High Collection I'll make sure the grading standards fit my needs, lol. Chet

BTW, check out Sully's Wolverine CGC 9.2 auction, and I'll be more than willing to post some Golden Age CGC 9.2's that don't come close:

Have fun CI, check out this bee-u-tee-ful CGC 9.2 from the gold age. Maybe I should punch holes in my moderns to get this unique 9.2 wink.gif

"Gold" CGC 9.2 with HOLES

All comics must be graded by the same stardards. That is what makes the comics valuable. If not I will wait another 10 years til I send in my 9.2 bronze age. By then they should be 9.8. Cgc needs to wake up there is too much passing off as 9.0 from the silver age.

I just had to add this to this thread for the non-believers. tongue.gif

Steve said:

"... CGC has ALWAYS stated that we take off much less for bindary chips and arrival dates written on Golden Age comics because that is the way they hit the news stand. "

Thank you tongue.gif