• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on CGC GRADING (((POLL)))

167 posts in this topic

5% for the interior??!?

So if I take a comic and crumple up each and every interior page very carefully so that the exterior isn't bothered at all, take scissors and cut a dozen 5" slices through every page in such a way that it's all still attached, and use the interior pages to wipe up "accidents" my cat has for the next 6 months, you'd still give that a 9.0 or better if the cover was perfect?

Sounds like you're collecting trading cards, not comics!!!

I agree with all your points, but there are a few ways that Golden Age differs from the other ages that has to be considered:

• Many Gold covers didn't have any gloss at all
  • Pages on Gold comics weren't nearly as white as today's comics are.

Fairly minor points there, but a Gold comic with pages with as much whiteness as the day they came out and without gloss should still have a shot at a 10.0, even though they lack the features of more modern printing processes. Everything else should be downgraded equally with the other ages, unless someone can point out other printing differences that should also prove as exceptions.

Talking about the interior of comics, I just got a 9.6 tales to astonish from Metro for $200! it has a green label and i thought it might have been one of those married eastern covers. But guess what it got the Qualified green because - it has two small pieces of tape on the interior centerfold! The book is a beaut and i saw a 9.4 go for about $900 this summer. I could care less about that tape and bet i could hav e it removed somehow and still have a 9.4 or better! It is an incredible looking book - for those who don't know the book, it is the one with Hulk and Sufer flying thru a fire. I felt like i got one of the biggest bargains ever but I know some would be really worried about those invisible pieces of tape. I also just got a Spidey 5 9.2 with a purple slight p - it has 2 small drops of glue at each tip of the spine. you can't see the glue though! Because of that note by cgc, i got a book that sells in that kind of shape for $4000 for $700!

So, you got your holy grail #93. Congrats! However, I'm surprised they gave it a qualified label. Steve Borock advised me via PM previously that they consider tape to be a defect to be incorporated in a grade. Doesn't seem to jive with his explaination. However, as long as you are happy with the book! grin.gif

Big-time restoration removal candidate on that issue with the interior tape, and it shouldn't lower the grade to have it removed. How much did you get the Spidey 5 for? That, too, is a possible restoration removal candidate.

I 've seen some CGc labels on Modern books with "heavy ink stain on inside panels" or something like that, where maybe there was a glop of ink. I've also had pages stuck together by an ink blot? This was in a Mcfarlane Spidey I had benn reading...so I guess we do have to worry sometimes...

I got the Spidey for $750! I won't have it in hand for another 10 dyas or so but will try to send a scan. I can't wait to see it! 2 drops of glue -one at each tip of the spine- and it knocked the price down several thousand. Nuts if you ask me but am glad to have it.

You are right - i think i have heard that about tape before also. But i have the book in hand and the green lable only says 2 small pieces of tape interior centerfold! Maybe this book was graded a long time ago and they have changed grading criteria or something. i thought $200 was a steal -especially as tough as Metro is.

Here's the deal:

CGC grades differently for different eras; that's pretty well an accepted fact. The reason they do this is because it is required to sell CGC comics. Every era needs their 9.6-9.8 high-grade issues, simply because many rich collectors will sneer at a lower-grade copy, no matter if it's the best available.

So the top 5% of any comic era is what's used to determine the 9.6 and above grades, which is commonly what has been used by dealers in the past. This ensure that "NM Collectors" continue to spend big-bucks, without adhering to the impossibility of making a Gold, Silver or Bronze comic match up to a Modern NM.

Think about it this way, a Golden Age CGC 9.4 is likely a Modern CGC 7.5, so why not give the Golden Age book a 7.5? It would still be a ultra-rare comic by comparative standards, but most collectors would still sneer at it and say "I only collect NM comics".

So basically, CGC ensures that each and every era has their NM comics, through differential grading based on age.

I don't really agree or disagree with it, as CGC is a business looking for profits, as long as we're not under the assumption that a Golden Age CGC 9.6 is anywhere near the pristine nature of an Ultimate Spider-man #24 CGC 9.6.

I don't really care, but I just thought about it a few times and just wanted to throw it out there, so board members could have fun with it. tongue.gif Like I said in a previous post...

I just think CGC did this since humans tend to frown (example--> mad.gif ) on things that are deemed bad or low...in this case Low grade comic books hhehehehehee.

Same concept hehehe.

I see what your saying but this is exactly why older books guide for a lot more. A NM should be a NM whether the book is 3 or 30 years old.

Or 70 years old grin.gif

But that is exactly right. NM should be NM regardless of age (pardon the pun). If it turns out that true 9.4NM are almost non-existent and 9.0 - 9.2 is pretty much as high as most GA is going to get, then so be it. That is a reality that cannot be changed by sliding lower grade books into a higher slot. The condition of the book is gonna remain what it is regardless of what we call it.

Mmm, perhaps it got the qualified grade because the tape was keeping the centerfold in place. Why don't you phone the fine folks in customer service and ask them! Enquiring minds want to know! mad.gif

Yeah, I don't see CGC' era-based grading standards to be that big a deal, as I wouldn't expect any 70-year old comic to ever attain the condition of an off-the-presses book. It's gotten to the point that i order to get a 9.8 or higher Modern book, it has to be pristine and touched only using gloves.

The only issue I have is exactly where the cut-off points are in terms of years. That would be useful info to be sure.

Nice pick up from the Vault auction clobberin.

I saw how little that book went for and was AMAZED, especially with the small amount of restoration done.

Be very interesting to see if you could do a restoration removal as James suggested.

Congrats!

M

I 've seen some CGc labels on Modern books with "heavy ink stain on inside panels" or something like that, where maybe there was a glop of ink.
What was the grade on that one, do you remember?

yeah - I could not believe I did not get outbid or that it did not make reserve. Aftr the auction he sent me an email and named his price - what a deal! I really hope that auction catches on with folks. the guy who runs it seems super nice and it just has a better feel to it than Heritage. more like Allstar I guess. I have 2 other 9.4 books with that glue notation and have never been able to find the glue by eyesight! And i got those books at incredible prices too. Nothing better than a blue light K-mart special.