• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Off-White Pages or White Pages??

29 posts in this topic

On 2/26/2010 at 10:25 PM, Mac Man said:

I could care less, whether we're talking about some of my low grade babie or my higher grade books (Yes, I DO own a number of high grade books!).

The only time I really begin to care about PQ is when we begin talking about books that are tan, brown, or brittle. THEN we're looking at possible defects and THEN I'm not paying premium. Otherwise, it's just another for niche, competitive collectors to out do one another. I'm not knocking it, as each to their own. But I do believe that it's something of a manufactured means of add another competitive facet to the collecting game.

I feel that way when I see Jerry Robinson owned books. His books, his collection, his file copies. Nearly ALL of the ones I have seen have brittle pages. Like he stored them next to a glass blowing oven. It's too bad, too. A lot of early Batmans have come up for sale but I could not get past the brittle page thing encapsulated or not.

On 7/22/2020 at 9:01 AM, seanfingh said:

Please don’t tell them that . . .

Not to speak ill of the dead, but at least he isn't marring any more books. Man. That guy would sign his own death warrant if it was put in front of him.

Remember the Big Bang Theory episode with Stan Lee? Raj was going to get him to sign an issue of Batman because he would then have something unusual. It's like having Neal Adams sign Cerebus books. Kinda useless and pointless and stupid and ridiculous and unimaginative. Few other words I can't think of right now.

It really all depends.  I'm not a white page only collector and go off of presentation.  It is also case by case.  I've seen some white page books that don't present as well as others that actually look "bone white" (way over used of course).

A perfect example for me is Giant Size X-Men #1.  I've seen and held many copies of this book and a better percentage of white page copies actually present better even when graded because of that white cover.  I've also seen white page copies that show yellowing on the front cover.  

There is probably data out there that shows that there is a small percentage value gain in a white pager over an off white page but again, it comes down to a personal preference and for me is a case by case basis.  Very similar to the debate of 9.6 vs 9.8 where there is an even more substantial value jump with debate on the real grading difference.

On 7/10/2020 at 8:50 PM, Anthony Hoag said:
On 2/26/2010 at 10:47 AM, Inappropriate Spock said:

I would not pay more for white pages but I think it's highly desirable to find a 40-50 year old comic that still has white pages. Finding an old comic that looks and feels as if you just plucked it off the newstand is very cool.

Having said all that, I think some collectors are a bit too nuts about white pages, but that's all part of personal preference right? :grin:

Agreed.

I have a detective comics 353 1966 7.5 white pages what do you think it’s worth? 

tree fitty? (shrug)

9 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

I feel that way when I see Jerry Robinson owned books. His books, his collection, his file copies. Nearly ALL of the ones I have seen have brittle pages. Like he stored them next to a glass blowing oven. It's too bad, too. A lot of early Batmans have come up for sale but I could not get past the brittle page thing encapsulated or not.

Yup. I remember when his collection came to market. I’d have loved to own a copy but brittle pages? Nope. Hard pass.

22 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

There is probably data out there that shows that there is a small percentage value gain in a white pager over an off white page but again, it comes down to a personal preference and for me is a case by case basis.  Very similar to the debate of 9.6 vs 9.8 where there is an even more substantial value jump with debate on the real grading difference.

The most visible data seems to lie in ebay sales. WP books seem to be 10% more costly than the same book in the same grade with ow or ow/w pages. I suppose I prefer WP over the lesser when they present themselves, but I don't turn books away because they don't have WP. I have long felt that 9.8 books should have WP if they are to have that designation.