• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To restore or not to restore a high-value golden-age comic?

43 posts in this topic

I recently obtained a very nice, high-value, golden-age comic. Unfortunately it has one flaw -- a very long tear across the cover.

If not for that flaw, the comic would be in amazing condition.

Now, I know nothing about restoration. I can only just detect it, and definitely would not know how to do it.

But I'm thinking this long cover tear should be carefully sealed up with professional-style restoration tape, just so the comic's cover won't get worse, and also so it can be safely and enjoyably handled. (I would probably have to enlist somebody else to do this, because I don't even know what type of tape to use.)

My other options would be to leave the tear as it is and not handle the comic. Or I guess I could have the comic CGC-graded and not worry about it since it would be sealed up in a hard-plastic case anyway.

One other concern: Would the comic grade significantly higher as restored than it would if it were left alone?

Anyway I would be interested in hearing the perspectives of those of you who have dealt with this sort of decision before.

jkrk has a beautiful Detective 38 with a long transverse tear from the bottom staple, (almost as if the book was improperly placed in a mylar) that he has for sale on the Boards that still looks amazing as a CGC Universal 3.0. He decided to keep the book as is rather than "restore" it. I'd rather have that beauty as is rather than as a (possibly could restore to 9.0 - that's how pretty the book is) PLOD.

disclaimer: I will never own a book as cool as that one

I'm on the other side of the fence... in cases like this, restoration returns the book to a readable condition that is nice to look at. I really don't understand the hatred of PLOD books. Yeah, yeah, they are worth less than unrestored in the same condition, but I will never understand how a restored 9.0 can possibly be less desirable than a blue label 3.0, especially if the only restoration is one tear seal.

my 2c

I'm on the other side of the fence... in cases like this, restoration returns the book to a readable condition that is nice to look at. I really don't understand the hatred of PLOD books. Yeah, yeah, they are worth less than unrestored in the same condition, but I will never understand how a restored 9.0 can possibly be less desirable than a blue label 3.0, especially if the only restoration is one tear seal.

my 2c

+1

It's not like that with restores automobiles. They are worth much more than low condition originals

my 2c

+1

It's not like that with restores automobiles. They are worth much more than low condition originals

Yes, but attitudes in the collectible auto market toward restoration are a lot different than in the comic market, for a number of reasons. You can't make a decision on whether to restore a comic based on what happens in the auto market.

To the original poster: can you post a scan of the book? That will make it easier to give you good advice.

As far as the end value goes a restored book is essentially worth half

2c

Half seems rather generous based on what I've seen, but then I'm no expert.

I have a sweet ToS #39 with a significant cover rip, which is pretty much held nicely in place by the slab. I say read it once, carefully, then slab it.

I don't know where you came up with that number, but a restored book can be worth anywhere from the same as an unrestored copy in the same grade to a tenth of the value of an unrestored copy in the same grade...

As far as the end value goes a restored book is essentially worth half so if the book is a 3.0 now and a 6.0 after you break even. If it grades higher than double than the value goes up and it's handable again.

2c

I have always admired people that can resist the temptation to pull figures out of their ar ... ehh 'spoon', - and then present it as hard facts :foryou:

2c

Neither is MastrCntrlProgram even though he likes to pretend as such (thumbs u

around these parts we have always gone off the principal that a restored book is worth half the assigned grade. we are also talking mid to high grade stuff, slabbed or raw, below 9.0. obviously prices will differ depending on the book.

the census also is that it is preferable to have a nice unrestored copy rather than a restored copy. not too many years ago a restored book was like having the plague, nobody wanted to touch it unless it was dirt cheap.

me personally i'd never restore a silver age book, way too many of them out there, the same with mid grade common gold books. i don't see the point unless you just want it to look pretty. maybe it would make a difference 9.2 on up.

it would make it easier if we did know what book and what kind of resto we're talkin

2c

I don't agree with his valuation either, but you don't need to be a dong about it.

I don't know where you came up with that number, but a restored book can be worth anywhere from the same as an unrestored copy in the same grade to a tenth of the value of an unrestored copy in the same grade...

The way I have always valued restored books is to estimate the pre-restoration grade (if you know what it was, this makes this step a lot easier), and then add the reasonable value of the restoration services provided to the book. If a good job is done on the restoration, then you can add a little more (say 10%). If a poor job is done, then you add nothing for the value of the restoration and grade the book in its apparent state now, treating the "restoration" as additional defects.

There is a lot of wiggle room in this calculation and there are no hard and fast rules. For some books, like an Action Comics #1 in unrestored 4.0, the book is probably more valuable in unrestored 4.0 than it would be if a professional did a perfect job of restoring it to a 9.0.

2c

I don't agree with his valuation either, but you don't need to be a dong about it.

I guess you don't see his posts very often . . . ;)

my 2c

It depends on the restoration. I'm sure that most will agree that "fixing" a tear seal is less heinous than color touch or trim, neither of which are likely able to be removed. But with an unrestored copy, the possibility to "fix" a book is always there, whereas the possibility to "unfix" restoration isn't. jkrk's Detective 38 is a very pretty book in the CGC slab "as is", that was my point.

2c

This is from The CI site. I havent seen his book but I am guessing it would get an App 6.0-8.0 slight and what do you see it says for that? :preach:

Golden Age Comics (pre-1956)

slight moderate extensive

app NM 9.4 0.25 0.20 0.125

app VF 8.0 0.50 0.35 0.20

app FN 6.0 0.70 0.60 0.40

app VG 4.0 0.80 0.70 0.50

app GD 2.0 0.90 0.80 0.60

2c

This is from The CI site. I havent seen his book but I am guessing it would get an App 6.0-8.0 slight and what do you see it says for that? :preach:

You're guessing the grade on a book you haven't seen, and where the only description given is "very nice, high-value, golden-age comic" and "very long tear across the cover" :doh:

2c

You're guessing the grade on a book you haven't seen, and where the only description given is "very nice, high-value, golden-age comic" and "very long tear across the cover" :doh:

He's entitled to his opinion, whether you agree with it or not. At least he's basing it on something he learned. All you're doing is trolling and adding nothing of value to the discussion.