• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holocaust in GA Comics
1 1

80 posts in this topic

Isn't there a Nedor that has a death camp cover like Cap 46 - not just a concentration camp?

I don't have a copy of it to scan, but you may be thinking of Wonder #5. It shows the Grim Reaper busting in on Japanese soldiers machine gunning and flame throwing a bunch of American civilians into a big pit.

Yeah, that's probably what I was thinking of.

The artist may have been Paul Reinman.

???

The story is signed in the splash page? It is by Paul Reinman.

Next time, again, I just won't try ...

Everyone has you on ignore except me. And that's because I don't know how to do that. :baiting:

:acclaim: I've joined the heights of popularity of JC!

Some like to call Air Ace 2.1 a concentration camp cover, although it strikes me more as a POW camp. Doesn't look like I have a scan of my copy.

But we're talking about the holocaust really, and as Mark said it's two different things. To my knowledge, Captain America 46 is the only, the ONLY book to acknowledge what was going on with the holocaust on the cover. Pretty impressive.

Well ... CA 46 came out in April 45. Auschwitz was liberated in January 45 and VE day was in early May 1945. So it might really have been more a matter of the limited time between the truth of the Holocaust becoming public knowledge (1/45) and the end of the war in Germany (5/45).

I've had that discussion with others. Seems like the atrocities were more well known than the media would have let on. It may just be the fact that showing those events was not deemed appropriate for kids comics.

I saw an interview with a WW2 vet in a recent documentary who said that they were informed of the atrocities, but many believed it to be propoganda.

Of course, there is a difference between the Holocaust and Concentration Camps, although for the generations post-WWII it is a difference without a distinction.

Dachau was a Concentration Camp that was set up as early as 1933 as I recall for undesirables and political prisoners. There were "work" Concentration Camps (Dachau) and "death" Concentration Camps (Auschwitz), which of course does not mean that thousands upon thousands of people were not murdered at a work Camp. They absolutely were, but that was not the primary purpose of the facility.

The public knew of Concentration Camps prior to WWII, but what wasn't publicly known was the truth as to what was happening. Newspapers were reporting on Jews going missing throughout Europe in the early years of the War but to where was not known. I don't think it was until 1943 that the USGOVT admits it really started to know and publicly more around 1944. Of course, that is not to say there were not bits and pieces of information coming out of Europe that, especially in hindsight, provide critical evidence that we should have known what was going on.

BTW, my grandfather was the American Army Chaplain who led the religious services for the survivors at Dachau in May 1945. I co-edited a book detailing the experiences that was published in 2004. If anyone is interested in additional information, just let me know.

Intriguing. Just ordered a copy. I'll be in touch when I find time to read it.

The other story you mention may be City of Slaves with art by Sam Kweskin in Battlefield #9 from March 1953. The splash page can be seen on the Atlas Tales website.

Or in the scans I posted... :baiting:

Yep, you beat me to it! But at least the Atrocity scans were mine!

Hi Ger,

might as well thank you here for your AE article on Stan's writing pre-Marvel era. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. :applause:

Then there's this one from Men's Adventures 24.

This is so disturbing.

I remember seeing the cover to this and thinking it was a straight up horror story. Didn't realize it was a WW2/holocaust story.

I'm thinking I'm not the only one considering adding this issue to my want list.

Does anyone know if Real Life 3 is the earliest concentration camp reference on a comic cover? GCD doesn't have dates for the run, but since it began in 1941 I would guess it predates Mystic 10 (Aug 1942)

I would consider Mystic 6 to be a concentration camp cover, though it doesn't use the actual words. Very similar visual motifs as Mystic 10, with the walls and towers.

Mystic 6 is from October 1941, which I believe predates Real Life 3 by a month.

(not my book...)

that is a cool one Jon :cool: One of the best Destroyer covers (and #10)

The other story you mention may be City of Slaves with art by Sam Kweskin in Battlefield #9 from March 1953. The splash page can be seen on the Atlas Tales website.

Or in the scans I posted... :baiting:

Yep, you beat me to it! But at least the Atrocity scans were mine!

Hi Ger,

might as well thank you here for your AE article on Stan's writing pre-Marvel era. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. :applause:

Ditto! Welcome to the Boards! :hi:

It would be great having you contribute to the Forum.

The pride and joy of my Timely collection:

cap467-1-1.jpg

(worship)

Thanks to you Rick!! (thumbs u

tough to let go, but I knew you would appreciate it more than me (thumbs u

The pride and joy of my Timely collection:

cap467-1-1.jpg

(worship)

Thanks to you Rick!! (thumbs u

tough to let go, but I knew you would appreciate it more than me (thumbs u

That is a fantastic book, I'd love to own a copy one day...

Of course, there is a difference between the Holocaust and Concentration Camps, although for the generations post-WWII it is a difference without a distinction.

Dachau was a Concentration Camp that was set up as early as 1933 as I recall for undesirables and political prisoners. There were "work" Concentration Camps (Dachau) and "death" Concentration Camps (Auschwitz), which of course does not mean that thousands upon thousands of people were not murdered at a work Camp. They absolutely were, but that was not the primary purpose of the facility.

The public knew of Concentration Camps prior to WWII, but what wasn't publicly known was the truth as to what was happening. Newspapers were reporting on Jews going missing throughout Europe in the early years of the War but to where was not known. I don't think it was until 1943 that the USGOVT admits it really started to know and publicly more around 1944. Of course, that is not to say there were not bits and pieces of information coming out of Europe that, especially in hindsight, provide critical evidence that we should have known what was going on.

BTW, my grandfather was the American Army Chaplain who led the religious services for the survivors at Dachau in May 1945. I co-edited a book detailing the experiences that was published in 2004. If anyone is interested in additional information, just let me know.

Intriguing. Just ordered a copy. I'll be in touch when I find time to read it.

Thanks! (thumbs u

I didn't know the Holocaust and concentration camps was mentioned in so many GA comics. Great thread! (thumbs u

I've often asked the artists/writers who are still around from that day (or the historians who have written books on the topic) to what extent comic books were influenced in dealing with the Nazi topic by the overwhelming number of Jews in the field during the 1930s/1940s.

Depending upon who you ask you receive different answers, from "of course" to "not really at all". But I have trouble believing there was not a deep-seated underpinning and influence whenever possible.