• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I wasting my time buying CGC 9.8's.....
1 1

155 posts in this topic

I think most bronze 9.8 slabs should be price $50 or less. Beside keys or top of the cencus slabs, I can't imagine why most people will have to pay more because they are quite easy to get.

I have been pondering this for a few days now. Maybe I should just buy 9.4's and 9.6's? I really only buy for my personal collection but like the money I get when, heaven forbid, I need to sell my 9.8's. I always buy them back and my spending gets crazy and I have to sell a few! What do you all think? I am talking bronze/modern comics here.....
Buy whatever makes you happy.

thanks for all the input! 9.8's are coming down fast in price. I just had some auctions end on ebay for a few ASM key 9.8's and they bombed pretty hard. Depressing.....I wish I didn't need the money, I would of rather kept them then sell them at the prices I got :sorry:

were they bronze or copper?

I pretty much only collect SS books with a few exceptions. Personally I don't have a specific threshold for grade on what I buy. It's a case by case basis depending on the book. There are certain issues that, yeah, I want in 9.2 or better but it all depends on the book and who it's signed by. In a lot of cases, I'm perfectly willing to sacrifice grade on a book if it'll allow me to obtain two or three others. Plus, the last time I checked, VF was still considered to be high grade. Then again maybe my thinking is outdated. 2c

I have been pondering this for a few days now. Maybe I should just buy 9.4's and 9.6's? I really only buy for my personal collection but like the money I get when, heaven forbid, I need to sell my 9.8's. I always buy them back and my spending gets crazy and I have to sell a few! What do you all think? I am talking bronze/modern comics here.....

It's the opposite, you should be holding out for 9.9s. :sumo:

lol

Buy 9.8 late BAs (i.e., anything with a 30 cent or higher cover price), Copper and Moderns if they're below the cost of slabbing. Otherwise, pass or just buy them raw in NM/M.

Are you wasting time buying CGC 9.8s...?

No.

They will always and forever be the "highest graded" that one can obtain a complete collection of whatever it is they collect from about 1972-present.

Will anyone be able to put together a 9.9 run of ANYTHING of any significance..?

Tell me...how many *complete* runs of anything have extant copies in 9.9, with at LEAST 2 issues in the run...?

Wolverine Limited series (by the skin of its teeth.)

Wolverine: The Origin

Locke & Key

Anything else...? Probably a handful of IDW titles.

Any Spidey titles? Even Spidey Minis? Not likely. X-Men? Batman? FF? Watchmen can't be done. Miracleman can't be done. Punisher can't be done. Nothing John Byrne did can be done. Nothing Jim Lee did can be done. Nothing Todd McFarlane did can be done.

So....9.8 remains the legitimate ceiling for "highest graded" that one can reasonably pursue as a collection with any kind of completeness.

Are you wasting time buying 1975-up 9.6s and lower, unless they're rare Indies like TMNT, Albedo #0-2, Cerebus, etc.? Yes. You can quite literally buy 9.4-9.6 examples at almost any convention, raw, without paying the slab premium.

For 99% of copper/modern books the only reason for buying 9.8 copies is because you want a collection of high grade slabbed books. In that case, paying much more than the raw NM price for a slabbed 9.4/9.6 makes little sense, as there are a huge supply extant in these grades raw, and in raw condition not too many people really care if a book is a 9.4 or a 9.6.

If you do want slabbed super high grade copies(9.8+) be prepared for price volatility as more copies appear in the census or interest in a title wanes.

9.4s are great books, and at nice discounts. A nicely centered 9.4 to me is better than a mis-registered 9.8. Cracking & keeping raw is also an idea - seems like a waste of plastic though.

On 3/14/2010 at 12:42 PM, etanick said:

I think most bronze 9.8 slabs should be price $50 or less. Beside keys or top of the cencus slabs, I can't imagine why most people will have to pay more because they are quite easy to get.

Really? If you look up a common book like Spider-Man 1 9.8, it's not like there are dozens and dozens listed on eBay. My experience buying raw books is a crapshoot. There aren't that many 9.8 raws offered and many sellers are overly optimistic with their grading.

I just try and buy nice examples that are in my price range.  I do it more as a 'completionist' than anything.   If I see a VF/NM Bronze Spiderman, Captain America or FF for $5 I am all over it.  They present well, not too many issues.  Someday those grades may go up or down, who can tell, but at $5, meh....

Edited by Mercury Man

Good point. I've only recently started collecting moderns. Don't press them because you take the risk of small creases appearing. I only buy CGC cased 9.8's in modern age, or buy raw to save money and keep until a later date to see what the market is doing. You can save a shed load of money buying older comics in 9.0 to 9.4's. They still look great and if you buy right they will go up in value in time. My philosophy on older silver age/bronze age is to buy raw, then get them pressed and graded later. There is a lot of over priced stuff on ebay so be patient and beware.