• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I wasting my time buying CGC 9.8's.....
1 1

155 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, eastcoaster said:

bronze 9.8 slabs

common book like Spider-Man 1

That's not a bronze book.

it's not like there are dozens and dozens listed on eBay.

Is this sarcasm that's gone over my head? I searched "Spider-man 1 Mcfarlane 9.8" on Ebay and counted 60+ CGC 9.8s on the first page of results alone.

1 hour ago, Colin Nash said:

Good point. I've only recently started collecting moderns. Don't press them because you take the risk of small creases appearing. I only buy CGC cased 9.8's in modern age, or buy raw to save money and keep until a later date to see what the market is doing. You can save a shed load of money buying older comics in 9.0 to 9.4's. They still look great and if you buy right they will go up in value in time. My philosophy on older silver age/bronze age is to buy raw, then get them pressed and graded later. There is a lot of over priced stuff on ebay so be patient and beware.

What experience are you basing this on?

10 minutes ago, eastcoaster said:

Not sure how others define overpriced but to me it's above fair market value. I can't judge if the FMV is too high... it is what it is.

depends on the book.

Some are definitely overpriced, others are not. ( just my opinion )

1 hour ago, Colin Nash said:

Good point. I've only recently started collecting moderns. Don't press them because you take the risk of small creases appearing. I only buy CGC cased 9.8's in modern age, or buy raw to save money and keep until a later date to see what the market is doing. You can save a shed load of money buying older comics in 9.0 to 9.4's. They still look great and if you buy right they will go up in value in time. My philosophy on older silver age/bronze age is to buy raw, then get them pressed and graded later. There is a lot of over priced stuff on ebay so be patient and beware.

Alex, I'll take "Nonsensical Assertions" for $400.

3 minutes ago, eastcoaster said:

You mean you expect the price to fall below the current FMV? Yeah I guess that's a speculative way to define  overpriced.

I expect prices will fall on a large percentage of CGC 9.8's but especially gimmick, variant type books with multiple cover printings. They are hot for a moment, then fall.

I guess it comes down to asking what type of hobbyist you are?

If you're buying for your own collection, you're not just buying for art or storyline, you're buying books slabbed so some small part of you is buying for the value of the comic, maybe not now but in the future.

9.8s can get quite expensive, especially older ages. But than again 9.8s are almost perfect condition so for example if you bought a 1962 Chevy impala, you would want to buy a nice one for appearances purposes.

The difference between that hobby and this one is restoration is not graded or judged in cars but rather admired.

9.8s are one of the best grades, and its quality over quantity if you pursue the hobby that way.

Edited by Hollywood1892