• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
26 26

8,204 posts in this topic

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:09 PM, ThothAmon said:

Awesome cover.  Pretty horrific.

It strikes me that while this cover depicts a genuinely horrifying tableau, Jose Antonio Domingo somehow makes it feel almost soothing with his use of moody, earth-tone colors. IMO, one of the best Horror-Mood covers because of it's transcendence from a typical "Walking Dead" type cover into something infinitely more interesting... (worship)

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:50 PM, the blob said:

I never understood how Famous Monsters' content didn't get stale, it doesn't seem like there were enough new horror movies coming out every month during that period to fill the pages and kids in the 60s surely got tired of reading about lon chaney, but I guess with all the foreign films, maybe. I guess a lot of it was short fiction and what not?

I think that because it was a labor of love by Jim and Forry, the essence of that shines through, especially in the earlier editions...

On 9/25/2018 at 1:50 PM, the blob said:

I never understood how Famous Monsters' content didn't get stale, it doesn't seem like there were enough new horror movies coming out every month during that period to fill the pages and kids in the 60s surely got tired of reading about lon chaney, but I guess with all the foreign films, maybe. I guess a lot of it was short fiction and what not?

Oh it got stale, especially if you were a long time reader. They started sliding reprinted articles in slowly at first, but boy they started a recycling program as time went on! The readership kept changing, so to new readers, it was new stuff. It was specifically aimed at an 11 year old audience. But back in the 60's, there wasn't really any way to see all of the stills that popped up in FM.

Castle Of Frankenstein catered to a much older reader (and more sophisticated one). It was more serious and less punny. COF got even better for me after the first 5 issues or so, but distribution was a real nightmare.

I stopped reading FM after issue 106. In 104 Forry Ackerman used Robert Bloch to write an article to get readers to send FJA a buck so he could keep his place, and that pissed me off.

I pick it up now for nostalgic reasons and the great covers. If I want real film scholarship I'll pick up Little Shoppe of Horrors (and a few others) or the sadly defunct Monsters From The Vault

11 minutes ago, evilskip said:

Probably going to flip these, but I just couldn't pass them up. They had a 4 issue run and then vanished. The girl on issue #1 looks to be menaced by a critter from The Black Scorpion(1957). Kinda strange for a mag on British films.

shriek1.jpg

shriek2.jpg

Cool books! Ihate seeing it but did these get damaged in transit? Similar bottom right corner crunch between the two that I’m all too familiar with from improper packaging. 

3 hours ago, bounty_coder said:

Cool books! Ihate seeing it but did these get damaged in transit? Similar bottom right corner crunch between the two that I’m all too familiar with from improper packaging. 

No, that is the way they were when I bought them. I'm pretty sure I should be able to flip them at a grade of 6.0. They are really high gloss and if it weren't for the damaged corners.....

11 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I've got a bunch of Manitoba books , and they are beauties. good show on the sigs.

Oakman, Show us some of your Manitoba beauties ?