• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
26 26

8,214 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, evilskip said:

I remember buying this at the grocery store as they kept it right at the checkout aisle. The lady at the cash register started b------g about how disgusting the cover was. I told her to just ring it up or get the manager and have him check me out.

I found Fangoria pretty young (around 13 ish, so I missed this issue and really didn't get into them till about issue 65) But I had a many similar experiences trying to buy them. In retrospect as a parent I get it now as some of the covers we're brutal but looking back it was all in good fun. I even had one lady threaten to call the police because they we're so shocked that the grocery store she worked at would even consider selling such a lurid book in the first place let alone to me. (I got my older brother to buy it for me a minute later lol)

8 hours ago, evilskip said:

I remember buying this at the grocery store as they kept it right at the checkout aisle. The lady at the cash register started b------g about how disgusting the cover was. I told her to just ring it up or get the manager and have him check me out.

I found Fangoria pretty young (around 13 ish, so I missed this issue and really didn't get into them till about issue 65) But I had a many similar experiences trying to buy them. In retrospect as a parent I get it now as some of the covers we're brutal but looking back it was all in good fun. I even had one lady threaten to call the police because they we're so shocked that the grocery store she worked at would even consider selling such a lurid book in the first place let alone to me. (I got my older brother to buy it for me a minute later lol)

15 hours ago, deadleg said:

I don’t know much about Fangoria issues. What makes issues 9 and 10 so great? Also, that price guide with the Wrightson art is awesome! I’m gonna have to look out for that one. 

Back in the 80's Fangoria got pretty popular especially the late part of the decade (The whole Freddy craze was a big part of it) and they sold back issues in an ad in every new issue. Issues 9 and 10 we're the two that sold out first from the companies own backstock. Another company that placed very cool AD's in the books back then was Fantaco Enterprises (out of Albany) selling horror memorabilia and old mags and comics, they priced the back issues of Fangoria at collector prices and issue 9 at one point (for I think an issue or two at the peek went as high as $350 and issue 10 went for I think $125 at its ultimate peak) in retrospect they really weren't that rare at all compared to the other issues around it just that the Starlog press didn't have any copies themselves anymore. Oddly the entire horror magazine collecting crowd used the fantaco ad as their personal price guide and I think thats why it went up so high.

Now issue 10 isn't even remotely rare since ebay came up and issue 9 is a little bit rarer but you can certainly find one in at least VF shape on the bay with a quick search. Finding them in above 9.4 (which is my goal) is the real challenge as they were printed on horrible paper stock and the printing created lots of dinged corners from dull printing blades etc. Saying that there is a 9.8 sitting on ebay at the moment from Doug Sulipa but its in my mind horrifically overpriced, with patience you should be able to find a raw 9.8 on your own out in the wild and if your lucky you could find it for anywhere from $10 to $90(max) depending if the dealer knows the value or even cares, so good luck if your looking. There is a rather large group collecting them now regaining their childhood but it isn't very ruthless so prices aren't insane for pretty much any issue. 

The issues we're are hard to find for me are issues 15 and 22 and Bloody Best Of Fangoria 1-4(especially 1) in true 9.4 and higher (black covers), honestly I think they each ultimately cost me $20 each but lucking upon high grade copies was the challenge. Great way to collect, challenging but still cheap.  It's rather fun run to put together and one filled with incredible nostalgia for me and if anyone out there in CGC Boards land has any nice high grade Fangoria's before issue 100 (or the last few issues 340-344) I'd love to hear about them (PM me if you could)

On 12/18/2018 at 9:30 PM, bronzejunkie said:

Found a few things recently that I thought would be fun to share, first up... This beautiful Wrightson cover to one of the first price guides for Monster mags from the mid 70's. I honestly had never seen this piece of art before and had to own it the second I saw it. This may be one of my fave pen and ink Wrightson pieces I have ever seen. Considering its a fanzine and a thicker newsprint cover its in pretty sweet shape.

image3.thumb.jpeg.6d02f988508cce8310989aea354c45e0.jpeg

Show an interior shot of some of the prices‼️‼️👍👍

On 12/20/2018 at 4:05 PM, WhatMeWorry said:

So that's where that Wrightson was printed! Has bothered me for years. I first seen that image in Bernie Wrightson: A Look Back.

I like your death wish Mad parody avatar🎶🎶👍‼️👍

On 12/22/2018 at 4:10 PM, bronzejunkie said:

Sorry I’m on vacation with family but I will certainly take some pictures when I get back - happy holidays everyone!

It will probably just be frustrating seeing real low prices then compared to today🙈🙈😲🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤪

Thanks!!  And to think that at one point I had zero interest in collecting this series.  The artwork and covers got me hooked just like the Warren titles.  I found that it helped to get the harder-to-find issues first and then concentrate on the rest.

Hope you are having a great holiday!  Merry Christmas!

4 hours ago, chevalmeow said:

Thanks!!  And to think that at one point I had zero interest in collecting this series.  The artwork and covers got me hooked just like the Warren titles.  I found that it helped to get the harder-to-find issues first and then concentrate on the rest.

Well that's great advice.

23 hours ago, chevalmeow said:

Complete👍‼️🆒 that is a nice big mag run to complete👏👏👍❤️