• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
26 26

8,204 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, wombat said:

CGC 9.0’s were around $1500.00 last year and CGC 9.2’s hit as high as $2000.00.

PQ is OW/W but I don’t think they did a great job with pictures.

I would be disappointed with anything under 2k, would hope for something around $2500.00, and be happy if approaches 3k. :)

But it’s ebay and craziness flows both directions there...

There’s no way to tell exactly but a rough guide to CGC copies of Vampi #1 look like this with at least OW/W PQ:

CGC 8.0 $1000.00+

CGC 8.5 $1250.00-$1500.00

CGC 9.0 $1500.00-$2000.00

CGC 9.2 $2000.00-$3000.00

CGC 9.4 ?

CGC 9.6 $7500.00-?

The 9.4 is tough to guess since I haven’t seen one sold for around 5 years. Maybe 5k+ on that one? Also any copies with cream pages like most bronze books feel the hit. A CGC 8.5 with C/OW pages went for $900.00 recently. Just like any copies with White Pages will hit higher.

Edited by N e r V

Savage Tales #1 is well under Vampi #1 prices right now. I have to wonder if it’s where Vampi was a few years ago before prices started a steady climb upward. It’s got the “low distribution” tag attached to it, a pretty killer Conan cover, the first appearance and origin of the Man-Thing and it’s a Marvel Mag. Their first really to begin their revived 1970’s magazine line. After Savage Tales Conan gets a nice long Continued run in Savage Sword in 1974.The prices today on it might seem like a steal in few years. Just my opinion...

On 5/24/2019 at 11:35 PM, N e r V said:

I have a CGC 8.0 Vampi #1 and now a CGC 9.0 Savage Tales #1 so I’d agree those two are probably the top 2 drivers right now based on their steady rise in prices. Glad I bought copies on both before they get really difficult in pricing. As stated there are any number of other hard to find mags that are pretty sought after. Try finding nice copies of Eerie Tales #1 or Weird Mysteries #1. Famous Monsters #1 is still up there in price along with Mad #24 too. 

For me the most “sought after” has been the same from day 1. A first printing of the Eerie #1 ash can.

Hhmmm, think I’ll post a new updated “hit list” thread in the near future of the costly and scarce magazines I’m after. A lot of the above are on my list and I’ve made some progress of filling and expanding my list. 

I believe that someday a number of the classic covers we see and take for granted in the magazine field today are going to see some super gains. 

Magazine collecting is still flying slightly under the radar with prices vs it’s cousin the comic book but I don’t expect that to last forever based on some pricing on certain issues I’ve seen in the last few years.

I whole heartedly have to agree with you on all aspects of your post.

Most importantly I would love to see your new list. I very much  enjoyed your last list.

:applause:

5 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I whole heartedly have to agree with you on all aspects of your post.

Most importantly I would love to see your new list. I very much  enjoyed your last list.

:applause:

Waiting just a bit to see if I can get a few off that list first.:)

Expanding it this time as a full magazine hit list, not just Warren.

It’ll include some misc. mags like this one that you don’t see every day.

3A80F455-E2E8-4DCC-B5C2-14ED1BB1F25D.thumb.jpeg.351d82b5d9d903172661e625da346565.jpeg

Had this in my collection for a while:

IMG_3573.thumb.JPG.3ab062158be49961d564b3f82d3bea84.JPG

There are some out there that don't know the connection Stan has to this book. But for those of us who do...

Alas, Simon Garth! The one and only...

Edited by bronze johnny

Agreed. Menace 5 is among the most significant precode horror books and I will argue that it's the most significant Atlas horror precode comic book for this primary reason: Stan Lee's single greatest precode story. Stan's recent passing has led to much focus on his contributions to Marvel's Silver Age as part of the Lee & Kirby team. As time goes on, more comic book historians and collectors will focus on Menace 5 as the apex of Lee and Everett's work together during an era without the the dominant superhero genre. The fact that the Zombie is the most notable creation to come out of the Atlas precode era only adds to Menace 5 holding a very special place in the history of: 1) Atlas Comics; 2) Precode Horror; 3) Bill Everett's precode art portfolio; and 4) Stan Lee's Atlas writing portfolio. 

TFTZ is the book that led me to Menace 5 and precode horror. Tracing Simon Garth back to an era where I later discovered Jack Cole, L.B Cole, Bernard Baily, Ajax-Farrell, Charles Biro, Russ Heath, Johnny Craig, Al Feldstein, Graham Ingels, Frank Frazetta, Matt Fox, Sheldon Moldoff, Wally Wood, Lee Elias, Lou Cameron, Myron Fass, Norm Saunders, Don Heck, Howard Nostrand, Bob Powell, etc. From the Bronze Age to the Atomic...