• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
26 26

8,214 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Annihilus said:

Thanks for all the info, guys! Just from doing a little research, it reminds me a bit of counterfeit Cerebus #1 where it does have a (mostly historical) value, but is not free.

I thought about getting a counterfeit just to have it (and still might) but am probably still a long way away from ever getting an original, if ever. If you can believe Google, 'around 400-500' of the original were printed and while that is not a ton, it is also much more than something like 10 or even 50. It would be interesting to know where/how all of those were distributed in the half dozen cities they were sent to. I know they 'went to news stands to be sold', but surely there is more to the story.

Been reading a ton of Warren this week. Some good, some not so much, but enjoyable either way.

For you or anyone else who hasn’t seen the story I copied 2 pages that do a good job at providing you with background on the ash can as well as pretty clear confirmation from James Warren that the blue staple editions are clearly not a second printing but they are the infamous counterfeit copy that Overstreet lists the differences on. I do think the Eerie #1 counterfeit is more of a special case with its history and production that gives it value over some of the comparable books like the Cerebus #1 counterfeit.

First up is from the Warren companion:

B27EC419-EA06-4C88-AC94-2E6631564545.thumb.jpeg.1836a5a9f21bdaf0f37b44a65e3d8890.jpeg

Next up is from Comic Book Artist #4:

CC958DB8-0CED-44FE-85B8-BF8BE9C78DC9.thumb.png.075f33beb111047d1992dac4eb38475a.png

Finally here’s the ad I remember seeing back in the 1970’s that Warren released in response to the blue staple counterfeit:

CC810E30-CD42-4F90-A9B0-0CD717D9AEE0.jpeg.7db40627771f5e88addfc757268eb161.jpeg

I’m glad I found you all. Hiding in plain sight here on the forums this whole time. 

What’s been really eye opening, between Steve’s sales threads so far and the seemingly unending uncle bounty thread going on now, is just how freakin much great horror stuff there is out there that I now need. 

No really, thanks. Thanks a lot. :roflmao:

This is gonna take a while 

24 minutes ago, N e r V said:

For you or anyone else who hasn’t seen the story I copied 2 pages that do a good job at providing you with background on the ash can as well as pretty clear confirmation from James Warren that the blue staple editions are clearly not a second printing but they are the infamous counterfeit copy that Overstreet lists the differences on. I do think the Eerie #1 counterfeit is more of a special case with its history and production that gives it value over some of the comparable books like the Cerebus #1 counterfeit.

First up is from the Warren companion:

B27EC419-EA06-4C88-AC94-2E6631564545.thumb.jpeg.1836a5a9f21bdaf0f37b44a65e3d8890.jpeg

Next up is from Comic Book Artist #4:

Finally here’s the ad I remember seeing back in the 1970’s that Warren released in response to the blue staple counterfeit:

Here's the page in question from Empire of Monsters

AEBF6C2E-F7C0-4440-9AD0-8967EB41FFEC.jpeg

13 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Man, I thought I was having a stroke for a second until I realized you posted the exact same interview from 2 different publications!  FWIW, I know you feel like you have complete clarity on this issue but I’ve seen enough copies to know there are not just 2 versions.  That may have been the case in 1975, but it’s not today.  I’ve seen a copy that has all of the hallmarks of the counterfeit without the blue striped staples.  

Your copy is probably legit, I’m not saying it isn’t.  It just seems like hubris to me to think that because I haven’t personally seen something, it doesn’t exist.  And it doesn’t seem out of the question that Warren’s narrative is incomplete.  :foryou:

2 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Man, I thought I was having a stroke for a second until I realized you posted the exact same interview from 2 different publications!  FWIW, I know you feel like you have complete clarity on this issue but I’ve seen enough copies to know there are not just 2 versions.  That may have been the case in 1975, but it’s not today.  I’ve seen a copy that has all of the hallmarks of the counterfeit without the blue striped staples.  

Your copy is probably legit, I’m not saying it isn’t.  It just seems like hubris to me to think that because I haven’t personally seen something, it doesn’t exist.  And it doesn’t seem out of the question that Warren’s narrative is incomplete.  :foryou:

Sorry, I was having a hard time seeing the copy of the Warren Companion so I posted what I thought was a cleaner version. I have a copy of the book but I know a lot of boardies don’t.

I’m sending you a pm on the other topic...

I sent Randall a pm long enough he probably wants to give me a EC gasp type ending so I’ll sum it up by saying as with everything else in life you should look before you leap and that Overstreet is probably the earliest source of “fake news” due to poor fact checking and that Eerie #1 ashcan is a great book to have in your collection and a pet peeve of mine how I perceive it’s treated these days. 

5 hours ago, N e r V said:

I sent Randall a pm long enough he probably wants to give me a EC gasp type ending so I’ll sum it up by saying as with everything else in life you should look before you leap and that Overstreet is probably the earliest source of “fake news” due to poor fact checking and that Eerie #1 ashcan is a great book to have in your collection and a pet peeve of mine how I perceive it’s treated these days. 

We've beat this horse all-the-way around the race track several times. As you indicated, it really comes down to educating yourself on the risk involved with purchasing that magazine and deciding if you are willing to take that risk.

Some of the older threads disappeared during thread migration but this one has some pretty good info...

7 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

They don’t post that often on here anymore, but @RedRaven and @Makmorn have probably spent as much time as anyone trying to parse the details of Eerie 1.

These two guys are the experts on this subject. As a matter of fact I trust Makmorn so much I bought my Eerie Ashcan from him.

It was his personal copy.

Edited by oakman29

5 hours ago, RedRaven said:

We've beat this horse all-the-way around the race track several times. As you indicated, it really comes down to educating yourself on the risk involved with purchasing that magazine and deciding if you are willing to take that risk.

Some of the older threads disappeared during thread migration but this one has some pretty good info...

I was aware of the older threads. It’s part of the surprise in me that Eerie #1 has been kind singled out over other counterfeits. I also saw some posters using some of the same misinformation from Overstreet or others. I had a lengthy pm exchange last night with Randall (ask him :nyah:)  and I have to work today but if it’s ok I’d like to pm you tomorrow with what I’ve discovered through research and see if you can add something to it.

Brett

Edited by N e r V

On 10/15/2019 at 7:12 PM, bounty_coder said:

There is a Scale of Size valuation at play here.  When everyone says "mags are graded softer" it is not so much that.  It is the fact that Mags are bigger; have more real estate thus their defect impact is scaled upwards as well.  For example if you took the exact defects on a Certain Mag and Transposed them to a Comic book...all else being equal...The comic get's a lower grade because the surface area of the defects to size of medium ratio is more impact-full. That might blow some minds but that essentially is what it starts to boil down to (in my experience).

This is exactly how CGC graders are told to evaluate magazines...size really does matter.  (thumbsu

6 hours ago, oakman29 said:

These two guys are the experts on this subject. As a matter of fact I trust Makmorn so much I bought my Eerie Ashcan from him.

It was his personal copy.

Hi Oakman!  :hi:

One thing I can tell you about Eerie #1 is the reason why CGC decided not to certify it. I was part of that conversation, and I was ready, willing and able to go down that path if the powers-that-be had decided to pursue it. Unfortunately, it was ultimately deemed to be "too much trouble" to get involved with due to the difficulty of determining whether the book was counterfeit or not. I've always felt that was a missed opportunity, but c'est la vie... 

Edited by The Lions Den

15 hours ago, speedcake said:

I’m glad I found you all. Hiding in plain sight here on the forums this whole time. 

What’s been really eye opening, between Steve’s sales threads so far and the seemingly unending uncle bounty thread going on now, is just how freakin much great horror stuff there is out there that I now need. 

No really, thanks. Thanks a lot. :roflmao:

This is gonna take a while 

I've been pursuing it for half a century now. If there's anything I can do to help, feel free to let me know...

2 hours ago, N e r V said:

I was aware of the older threads. It’s part of the surprise in me that Eerie #1 has been kind singled out over other counterfeits. I also saw some posters using some of the same misinformation from Overstreet or others. I had a lengthy pm exchange last night with Randall (ask him :nyah:)  and I have to work today but if it’s ok I’d like to pm you tomorrow with what I’ve discovered through research and see if you can add something to it.

Brett

Sure. Most of what I claim to know is posted in the threads so I don't have much more to offer than my own personal opinions.

2 hours ago, RedRaven said:

Sure. Most of what I claim to know is posted in the threads so I don't have much more to offer than my own personal opinions.

On more than one occasion, I've read that Jim Warren had most of the original run of Eerie #1 destroyed after he'd secured the copyright, and that he'd kept only ten copies.

On Page 43 of The Complete Illustrated History of The Skywald Horror-Mood, Al Hewetson confirms receiving a copy of Eerie #1 from Warren, wherein Warren calls Archaic Al his "#7 man", meaning the copy he gave Al was the seventh one he'd given away. There's even a picture of the Eerie #1 and the written notation. Stories like this one, from reputable sources with photographic evidence, would seem to be more credible than rumors and speculation... hm

Edited by The Lions Den

On 10/18/2019 at 1:24 PM, RedRaven said:

Good enough then. As I have time I’m posting on the thread that the Lions Den resurrected that you and others were in before so feel free to add or correct any information you might want to post.