• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
26 26

8,214 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, speedcake said:

Did you just high grade shame us?  :sumo:

He did, didn’t he?  But in the nicest way possible.  :banana:

In all seriousness, Hamlet has had a deep seeded dislike for the whole uber high grade chase for decades.  His point (I think) is that you can’t read a comic book if you’re afraid to touch it lest it drop a half grade and 40% of its value.  He’s a big fan of enjoying the whole book- cover and story inside (pretty sure he reads the ads also!).

3 hours ago, Hamlet said:

Well, a lot of it is just being cheap, too. 🙂

I have a tough time justifying paying $200 for a 9.6 when I can get a FN+ for $15-20.

Plus, being willing to buy lower grade books means there are a lot more books available to purchase when I’m out hunting.  I’m not going to find much to buy at the local conventions I go to if I’m looking for 9.2+ books.  There are tons of VG+ copies there though. 🙂

Sounds like you and I are in notable agreement.  I would rather have 10 books I can read rather than one I can't.  Although I do respect people preserving high grade examples, and I'm quite willing to drop $200+ once or twice a year on a lower grade book so I can read it... I'll pay money for rare books, just low grade ones.

Back to the whole Lone Star lowball idea, let me share one I got from them a few months ago.  If you saw it in another thread, you may already know what they graded it at.  If you didn't, I would love to hear your guesses.  No hidden defects I could spot, other than some very, very slight darkening along the very edges of the inside cover.

FC_0402.jpg

FC_0402_b.jpg

14 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Sounds like you and I are in notable agreement.  I would rather have 10 books I can read rather than one I can't.  Although I do respect people preserving high grade examples, and I'm quite willing to drop $200+ once or twice a year on a lower grade book so I can read it... I'll pay money for rare books, just low grade ones.

Back to the whole Lone Star lowball idea, let me share one I got from them a few months ago.  If you saw it in another thread, you may already know what they graded it at.  If you didn't, I would love to hear your guesses.  No hidden defects I could spot, other than some very, very slight darkening along the very edges of the inside cover.

FC_0402.jpg

FC_0402_b.jpg

I’ll play this game.  My grade is an 8.5-9.0 (maybe higher?) but I can see my comic shop.com grading it as a 6.5-7.0 which is crazy.

8 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Wow!  Is there a subscription fold that we can’t see?  That’s a pretty extreme example!  Nice grab!

No subscription fold or anything else unseen.  It's really one of the nicest 50's books I've ever seen in person.

To get back on topic, a pickup today.  A beater, but I've never seen a copy of this series in the wild before:

Shock_2.2.jpg

8 minutes ago, speedcake said:

And last but not least, my latest Vampirella from Steve. @Hamlet you may want to avert your eyes 

That is one beautiful copy. I do occasionally sprinkle in a high grade copy or two.  Generally when Steve or Randall Dowling has a sales thread 🙂

I just got my first copy myself.  It was a slightly disappointing eBay VG.  Looked a little better in the picture, but wasn’t.