• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
26 26

8,214 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Hamlet said:

I feel like I did pretty well here.  None of them are better than Fine, but they are all attached and complete.  I’d call them mostly VG+.  The 6 is probably more like VG- with a rough corner and some denting on the front cover, but for $7 each I sure can’t complain-

303F97DF-DA6E-4297-9911-FA14C0C33CEB.jpeg

^^

1 hour ago, Randall Dowling said:

Does this mean you have an under copy available?  :wishluck:

Not yet but I will upgrade when I see a better copy. If you’re really interested I’ll place you at the top of my list when I do upgrade. FYI, that slight miscut seems to show up on a lot of copies I’ve seen so far. Most copies I’ve run across are around VG or under so this copy seemed one of the most solid so far. Also cream and tan pages are abound on copies along with rusty staples. There was a nice 7.0 CGC copy on Heritage about 4 years ago but it was restored.

This article on the book is from the Kirby Museum site and worth a read on the “possible” Joe Simon and Sick magazine connection.

https://kirbymuseum.org/blogs/simonandkirby/archives/4319

On 2/25/2020 at 12:43 PM, N e r V said:

Worked a deal out today. Placeholder with OW/W pages.

If you know anything about anything about magazine collecting you know how tough this one is to find...

E5854685-2674-4336-85D7-2E3398784231.thumb.jpeg.5d650e0c1be6c1435069af4cf6d94337.jpeg37AF55DF-2968-4475-A580-E791200C497B.thumb.jpeg.b5c0e6b401d6a85a969f3bd0fe17d93f.jpeg

I'm pretty sure I've never seen this one before...pretty amazing...

2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I'm pretty sure I've never seen this one before...pretty amazing...

It’s been a bookend to Eerie Tales #1 that I picked up a few years ago. Both are generally uncommon and tough in grade.

Here’s some details on how the 2 books connect from GCD:

Grand Comic Database Information™ on Eerie Tales #1
Issue: #1
Published: November 1959, Price: 0.25 USD, Pages: 52, Editing: Joe Simon [as Basil Darkerton]; [as Vanessa Vampire] (Associate Editor); [as Richard Stalker] (Art Director)
Color: Color Cover; Black And White Interior  Dimensions: Magazine Size  Paper Stock: Glossy Cover; Newsprint Interior  Binding: Saddle-stitched  Publishing Format: 
Notes: Joe Simon editorial credit from Alter Ego (TwoMorrows) #36. The host introducing most of the stories in this magazine is a character who first appeared in Weird Mysteries (Pastime Publications, 1959 series) #1 (March 1959). He is not introduced by name in this issue, but calls himself "your Morgue Keeper." In Weird Mysteries the character was called "Morgue'n." This may imply that the material presented here was originally planned for the never-released second issue of Weird Mysteries. The art credits for unsigned stories were reviewed for Alter Ego by Michael T. Gilbert, Hames Ware, Jim Vadeboncoeur, Jr., and Dr. Michael J. Vassallo, who confirmed the existing GCD credits and added Battefield as artist for "Shroud Number Nine," though they suspect Powell’s "The Suckspect" and Morrow’s "Burn" were re-touched in-house or drawn with the aid of assistants.

37004BE3-0294-4F73-B2B2-EE5761F60AC8.jpeg.790f7676c465fe7e4dabafb8ac27ba69.jpeg

4 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Thanks Nerv. Chock one more up on the "to get" list.:facepalm:

How is that informational thread for Eerie 1 ashcan coming?

I am dying to see that.

Well I’ve had some scans for it for a while now just not sure what else to do yet. Work problems causing me “OT” from my “regular” schedule is causing problems right now. Haven’t had even lunch with my GF for the past week...o.O

FYI, it may be off the “to get” list but now it’s on my “want to upgrade” list.hm

It seems there is no end to most things In collecting...lol

28 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Already on the Vampi thread but here’s an upgrade...

EFF87281-A2FA-440B-8DE8-1540339E46DA.thumb.jpeg.c338ab0be9cae5fa8bf39db132e9a0a9.jpeg

85D24D06-8785-4A08-9DD6-DBD8DBD1645A.thumb.jpeg.164707b99404771cb7d7de19cea7eceb.jpeg

My 8.5 from Steve barely had a chance to get cold in her grave before this one showed up...:x

One of my favorite covers.