• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
26 26

8,204 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

OK, so this book did show up here just 12 days ago.  The difference being, thanks to @manetteska, it's now in my collection. This gives me the full run; not necessarily the most coveted comic magazine but it's a neat, scarce series with a lot of great creators.  I'm delighted to have the complete series.

witzend_01.jpg

I’ve had various issues over the years but never the complete set at once.  Nice work!!  :applause:

I have a new set to collect.  Fantastic Monsters Of The Films.  This is issue #7 (Vol 2 #1).  There were only 7 total issues.  This one and the 1st issue seem especially hard to find in grade.  My copy seems to be about F+ - F/VF as it has cream to tan pages.  However, it seems all other issues that I have come across are VG at best.

874527331_FantasticMonstersOfTheFilms7.thumb.jpg.b3c098888628444ccb1fa3022081be97.jpg

18 hours ago, creaturefan95 said:

242816212_SavageTales1_1.thumb.jpg.604a372ba4a4b2f78bc841f70e1cd199.jpg

Nice one!  I got lucky and found an unread copy of this for $12 several years ago.  There was just one small catch...

(I still think it was genuinely a good deal, but I would like to find another copy one of these years...)

Savage Tales 01.jpg

Edited by OtherEric

On 3/19/2020 at 1:59 PM, The Lions Den said:

I could understand if there were no notes on a book graded 9.8 or above. Anything less than that should have some kind of note to inform the owner why it didn't get a 9.8 or above.

So that leads me to the conclusion the graders were too busy to put notes in. This could have happened for any number of reasons... 

Had five magazines come back today, grades 6.5 - 9.2. All have notes, including the 9.2. I guess they were just lazy on my last batch. 

26 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Had five magazines come back today, grades 6.5 - 9.2. All have notes, including the 9.2. I guess they were just lazy on my last batch. 

I'm happy to hear that! 

The only thing I could add is that sometimes the graders are so busy they simply bypass the note-taking process. I'd like to think that it's not due to common laziness...

18 hours ago, manetteska said:

For whatever reason I've found that Vampire Tales #2 very difficult to get back from CGC above a VF/NM 9.0.  

19 minutes ago, bounty_coder said:

While I don't have this in hand yet (I will also share once it arrives) I was able to climb to the top of the pile for arguably one of my most favorite comic magazines in existence.

I have been searching for a true NM range copy of this book for well over 10 years.  It is one of the toughest MAD books to get in grade.

Kelly Freas absolutely produced one of the greatest MAD covers with this Headless Horseman classic in my opinion.  The fact that it is also a Halloween issue just frosts my cake.

Pacific Coast Pedigree; I have accomplished one of my main focused collecting goals; getting arguably one of the nicest presenting copies in existence of my favorite covers in the medium.  

I think some divine intervention stepped it to allow me to snag this copy.  As I saw some of the Pacific Coast copies around this (for some bizarre reason) go for 4-6x this one. (shrug)

image.png.44e5162283b124809f8591acbfb9efa0.png

- bounty

Very nice. Congrats Bounty!