• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
26 26

8,204 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Hamlet said:

I lost the Ebay small picture game with these.  Some staining on the 17, water damage on the corner of the 20.  Not quite bad enough to be worth returning them, but definitely not a win-

60BD27C2-0588-437D-AED1-08AAB99C1804.jpeg

The eBay giveth, and the eBay taketh away. It’s about a 50/50 proposition at best when you figure in bad shipping practices. 

Edited by Stevemmg

On 4/29/2020 at 7:23 PM, Stevemmg said:

While I love raw mags best, my obsession with high grade copies sometimes leads me down the path of graded copies. Here are some new additions. 

@Stevemmg ... Steve, I am certain that we caused each other to pay a lot more for our winnings than we could have otherwise. :insane:  :sorry:  :foryou:

Amazing haul :applause:; glad to see these beauties in your grasp...

Did you nibble on the Hell-rider #2 9.8? :shy:  B| :flamed:

31 minutes ago, Stevemmg said:

The eBay giveth, and the eBay taketh away. It’s about a 50/50 proposition at best when you gure in bad shipping practices. 

Good god.  I recently bought some oversized pin-up mags from the golden age; gave very explicit instructions for protection and labeling to help mitigate damage.  The futhermucker sent them in a large manilla envelope with no notes on the outside on how to handle.  Somehow by the grace of god they were not mangled.  A bit of bump/bending but nothing major at all.  Really dodged a bullet.

Aha..  I wondered who else might be making a run at the mags from the boards. Did you get any?  I would guess you did. I let the Hell-Rider slip by, as there were more ahead I thought I had a shot at, and I do have a raw 9.4. Didn’t turn out that way. Really happy about the ones I did won, though. I completely missed the Comiclink auction with the exceptional Vampirella offerings. 

Edited by Stevemmg

15 minutes ago, bounty_coder said:

Good god.  I recently bought some oversized pin-up mags from the golden age; gave very explicit instructions for protection and labeling to help mitigate damage.  The futhermucker sent them in a large manilla envelope with no notes on the outside on how to handle.  Somehow by the grace of god they were not mangled.  A bit of bump/bending but nothing major at all.  Really dodged a bullet.

I've been telling Steve about some of my war stories.  When you buy comic mags, the majority of people know they have value and they usually arrive in bags, most with backing boards.  But when you buy virtually any other kind of magazine, it's a free for all.  I'm talking raw mags in bubble mailers, mags rolled up in a tube, raw mags in a box, but wrapped up in saran wrap with packing tape on the outside making them impossible to open without damaging them.  Everything you can imagine.  

And they almost never come in bags!  :sumo:

7 hours ago, Stevemmg said:

Aha..  I wondered who else might be making a run at the mags from the boards. Did you get any?  I would guess you did. I let the Hell-Rider slip by, as there were more ahead I thought I had a shot at, and I do have a raw 9.4. Didn’t turn out that way. Really happy about the ones I did won, though. I completely missed the Comiclink auction with the exceptional Vampirella offerings. 

Yeah I went a bit ballistic on that session. There were a lot of stronger bids than I anticipated. 😂 again I'm certain we unknowingly punished each other. It'll be a bit before I get to mine but will share a few when so. 

I did end up with the Hell-Rider #2. Didn't expect to need to go that high. But it's a book that has been relatively more difficult to find for me in HG and with it being Don Rosas old copy I sprung. 

Two other highlights that I was prepared to combat on were:

Dracula Lives #9 CGC 9.8 w

- I've found this book exceptionally more difficult in HG than the surrounding copies. Might just be me. It's my favorite cover of the run. Luis Dominguez really brought it with this one. 

Eerie #60 CGC 9.8 w

- Ken Kelly masterpiece. Figured there was a good chance I would never see another this nice.  

I tend not to bid on Pedigree auctions anymore after I was the highest bidder on a Dracula lives #3 9.6, then with 1 second to go I was outbid and the 3 minute countdown began again, I said eff that and low and behold the same book was in the following auction, made me very wary on bidding in future auctions, I since bought a nicer copy from Clink for the same price I had bid on the Ped one.

5 hours ago, bounty_coder said:

Yeah I went a bit ballistic on that session. There were a lot of stronger bids than I anticipated. 😂 again I'm certain we unknowingly punished each other. It'll be a bit before I get to mine but will share a few when so. 

I did end up with the Hell-Rider #2. Didn't expect to need to go that high. But it's a book that has been relatively more difficult to find for me in HG and with it being Don Rosas old copy I sprung. 

Two other highlights that I was prepared to combat on were:

Dracula Lives #9 CGC 9.8 w

- I've found this book exceptionally more difficult in HG than the surrounding copies. Might just be me. It's my favorite cover of the run. Luis Dominguez really brought it with this one. 

Eerie #60 CGC 9.8 w

- Ken Kelly masterpiece. Figured there was a good chance I would never see another this nice.  

I have had the same experience with Dracula Lives #9.  Got a nice copy now but it was really hard to find.