• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
26 26

8,214 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, chevalmeow said:

Working on a a slabbed set of Eeries and got these 2 at a good price.  I have another 7 being graded and slabbed at CGC right now.  One of them is my Eerie #25 which is to be signed by Steranko!

1079662693_Eerie99FC.thumb.jpg.1c50b0238c6734d66b73789b94dbd031.jpg

Eerie 79 FC.jpg

(worship)

4 hours ago, chevalmeow said:

Working on a a slabbed set of Eeries and got these 2 at a good price.  I have another 7 being graded and slabbed at CGC right now.  One of them is my Eerie #25 which is to be signed by Steranko!

1079662693_Eerie99FC.thumb.jpg.1c50b0238c6734d66b73789b94dbd031.jpg

What a great cover.  Has a very heavy vibe of "How much can we suggest Star Wars without being actionable?".  That's not Han Solo, that's not Luke's Landspeeder, and that's not C-3PO; but it looks like the 70's version of a DVD mockbuster...

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  If you look at the cover artwork and the amazing quality of Warrens (and other magazines), these books are so undervalued compared to other silver and bronze age books.  Grab 'em now while they're relatively cheap.  The Frazetta covers in particular are due.  2c

17 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  If you look at the cover artwork and the amazing quality of Warrens (and other magazines), these books are so undervalued compared to other silver and bronze age books.  Grab 'em now while they're relatively cheap.  The Frazetta covers in particular are due.  2c

You don’t think it makes sense that you can get a VG/FN copy of Vampirella 7 ( if you’re patient ) for the price of two “Ebay NM” copies of Spawn #1 ?  Not the newstand copies mind you. Not 9.8 candidates.  Just two run of the mill nice copies of a book that they printed 1.7 million copies of.  Granted, Spawn is a popular character, but something seems out of whack there.

I joke in the Gold thread that I’m increasing my allocation to mid grade Warrens.  There isn’t any scale to it, obviously, but I’m only half-joking.

I’m curious to see how many copies I end up with 😀

On 6/27/2020 at 7:53 PM, oakman29 said:

Zero 9.8's?  With very few above 9.0 demand far outweighs supply.

If I may be permitted to "nerd out" for a moment or two...  :gossip:

I'm thinking that the dark cover has a lot to do with this---spine stress, rubbing and wear stand out like a sore thumb on this book. Also, many copies I've seen have noticeable color breaking "wrinkles" around the edges of the front cover, which will often knock a book out of 9.8 or better. Add to that the infamous "the top of Cousin Eerie's head is always chopped off" manufacturing flaw, and it's pretty easy to understand why this book comes up a little short...  

On 8/10/2020 at 2:22 PM, Hamlet said:

I finally paid up for a decent Eerie 17. Nothing but rags have been available on Ebay when I’ve looked.  Bought it as a VF-, which I think is accurate. The Vampi 100 is a decent copy I grabbed from MCS.

8CC5D327-2A0B-4D8D-9ECE-95A78D243B60.jpeg

MCS had a nice Eerie #17 CGC 7.5 OW/W for around $150.00 before someone snagged it. I almost pulled the trigger on it as a placeholder until a CGC 9.4 W showed up for me. They still have a couple of CGC 7.5’s in the $150.00-$175.00 range but they start with cream to off white pages which might be a deal breaker for some.

On 8/11/2020 at 6:29 PM, The Lions Den said:

If I may be permitted to "nerd out" for a moment or two...  :gossip:

I'm thinking that the dark cover has a lot to do with this---spine stress, rubbing and wear stand out like a sore thumb on this book. Also, many copies I've seen have noticeable color breaking "wrinkles" around the edges of the front cover, which will often knock a book out of 9.8 or better. Add to that the infamous "the top of Cousin Eerie's head is always chopped off" manufacturing flaw, and it's pretty easy to understand why this book comes up a little short...  

There’s still an awful lot of Eerie #23’s raw out there I’ve seen that would fill in some numbers at or above the 9.0 number. Before I settled on my copy I considered going with a couple of higher raws that were available. I still believe mags lag badly behind comics for being slabbed/pressed in general. I think we are seeing more interest in doing this but until then I take the number of slabbed copies on mags with a grain of salt.

Whats your take on the mags to comics ratios at CGC?

18 minutes ago, N e r V said:

MCS had a nice Eerie #17 CGC 7.5 OW/W for around $150.00 before someone snagged it. I almost pulled the trigger on it as a placeholder until a CGC 9.4 W showed up for me. They still have a couple of CGC 7.5’s in the $150.00-$175.00 range but they start with cream to off white pages which might be a deal breaker for some.

Yeah, I’d say my raw copy is in that ballpark and was about $125.  I mostly just wanted a cheap, presentable copy to fill my run, because it isn’t an issue I’m focused on.  I couldn’t really find a VG to FN copy for much less though. 

20 minutes ago, N e r V said:

There’s still an awful lot of Eerie #23’s raw out there I’ve seen that would fill in some numbers at or above the 9.0 number. Before I settled on my copy I considered going with a couple of higher raws that were available. I still believe mags lag badly behind comics for being slabbed/pressed in general. I think we are seeing more interest in doing this but until then I take the number of slabbed copies on mags with a grain of salt.

I would love some leads on a VF or better Eerie 23.

19 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Yeah, I would guess that the extra expense of grading and storage issues for slabbed magazines make them less frequently slabbed.  It will be interesting if some of the more recent slabbed sales of Eerie 23 at strong prices push some owners of raw copies to get them slabbed.