• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
26 26

8,204 posts in this topic

On 9/25/2020 at 12:20 PM, 90sChild said:

Few pickups from the boards, and a Creepy #7 ebay 9.0 that might be undergraded?... you be the judge I'll post scans below.

If the pages have chipped corners that can lower the grade as well. It's a pretty common flaw for early Warrens. Looks pretty nice to me, though...

8 hours ago, Stevemmg said:

Congratulations, Charlie. That is a McHenry collection copy, and I think the only Vampirella 7 from that collection that I don’t own. This was a spectacular original owner collection that was bought by an antique mall dealer, well, at least part of the collection. While there were some copies that were lower grade, most were news stand fresh. They were stored in banker boxes and each box had the description of the contents. As it arrived, it included Cartoons, National Lampoon, Heavy Metal, Vampirella and then a smattering of other titles. It was brought in by a young man in his early ’20’s, who had simply asked the dealer if they would buy magazines. He described it as some car magazines and “Vampira” and they reluctantly agreed to look at them. Very unfortunately didn’t ask him anything about the origins of these magazines. There were boxes labeled with other titles like Savage Tales, Epic, etc that weren’t included. Interestingly, none have any kind of date stamps or markings, and he had multiples of all the Frazetta covers and some other keys. It was very apparent to me the type of collector this was, and I have been hoping now for four years that the rest of this will turn up. I bought a limited number of Creepy, Eerie and Skywalds from it, and runs of NL and HM that were complete from their first issues and running up to 1985/6. The Vampirella’s stopped at #87, so likely the rest of those are still out there too. 

The dealer also didn’t bother to get any contact information of the young man that brought them into the antique mall. It could have been an inheritance, a theft, a storage unit find, or any number of situations.  What a shame, a phone call could solve a lot of the mystery perhaps. 

I always enjoy hearing stories like this...it gives me hope. ;)

On 10/3/2020 at 9:36 PM, 90sChild said:

Three new black cover Skywalds, at $90 I think I did ok not amazing.  The more popular covers were getting $60-100 a piece and it just didn't feel like great value to spend that. 
Also added two vf/nm vampire tales, I have more than half of them now in 9.0 so I guess this means I'm required to finish the set.  

S6qvqnH.jpg

KX5V9C0.jpg

Where did you get these beauty's from?  

I just found out that my submission of Eerie #25 to CGC for the Steranko in house signing has finally been graded (after 8 weeks).  I don't have a lot of signed slabs so I obviously don't do this very often.  The only books that I have signed and slabbed are Vampirella Commemorative Blue #1 (Frazetta), Vampirella V5 #1 (Middleton), Stabbity Bunny #1 (Rivera), and a non-CGC Frankenstein Alive, Alive 1 (Wrightson).

I should be getting it back by the end of this week.

This graded out as a 9.6 with OW-W pages! I was expecting maybe a 8.5 - 9.2 grade.

Happy, Happy!  Joy, Joy!!

35 minutes ago, chevalmeow said:

I just found out that my submission of Eerie #25 to CGC for the Steranko in house signing has finally been graded (after 8 weeks).  I don't have a lot of signed slabs so I obviously don't do this very often.  The only books that I have signed and slabbed are Vampirella Commemorative Blue #1 (Frazetta), Vampirella V5 #1 (Middleton), Stabbity Bunny #1 (Rivera), and a non-CGC Frankenstein Alive, Alive 1 (Wrightson).

This graded out as a 9.6 with OW-W pages! I was expecting maybe a 8.5 - 9.2 grade.

Nice, grats!  I considered sending mine in as well for the signing but I didn't want @Stevemmg to hunt me down and punt me into the East River...

21 hours ago, chevalmeow said:

You I was gonna say something.  The Eerie 25 you sold me looks way better than an VF. I think I owe you money.

Edited by oakman29
It's a 9.2