• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
26 26

8,214 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, N e r V said:

Also after a little research I did find out that it (Haunt of Horror digest #3) is by Kelly Freas and it and most of the intended stories never saw print. So my best shot at seeing it in colour would be it showing up on a Kelly Freas art site.

Freas did the cover? Nice! With that grainy black and white pic, the wolf head made me think it could have been Corben too. Are there any Kelly Freas portfolio books published that might have this art in it? Nice pulp btw!

I summon the mag guru's with a question on this one..  I found these hard to find first issues in the comiclink exchange, the one on the left had a picture but the other one on the right did not, I bought both anyway, both assigned a 4.0 grade.  Seemed like a no brainer at the time but the second copy to my eye looked significantly worse, oxidized staples, color fade/color loss, and one of the worst odors I've had in a while from a comic, likely mold or something similar.  I just wanted to close it up and put it away, it was difficult to deal with.  I've already asked comiclink on their return process but in the meantime curious if you think it's a bad move to return a hard to find book. 
   The other question was regarding the staples; the nicer one I'm keeping didn't have any oxidation on them at all.  They were shiny on both the outside and inside, seemed out of place and I started thinking could it be a staple swap book but then I looked at a few others and I guess the few I looked at seemed to have similar looking stapes too.  Do these seem pretty normal for an eerie pub?

hnVSHFr.jpg
2JTqvnQ.jpg
WOCmZAc.jpg

Nice book on the left!

I am not an expert on any of these things and I don't play one on tv either.

I would send the 2nd book back for full refund.  You got the better copy already so that part of your collection is now filled.   To me, the 2nd copy is over graded at 4.0.  I would consider it to be a 2.0 and the rust and smell would be a big reason to not have it in my collection.

As for the staples, I often find clean, bright staples in my older issues so I would be happy about it and not worry.

Hope this helps.

Edited by chevalmeow
spelling.

36 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

I summon the mag guru's with a question on this one..  I found these hard to find first issues in the comiclink exchange, the one on the left had a picture but the other one on the right did not, I bought both anyway, both assigned a 4.0 grade.  Seemed like a no brainer at the time but the second copy to my eye looked significantly worse, oxidized staples, color fade/color loss, and one of the worst odors I've had in a while from a comic, likely mold or something similar.  I just wanted to close it up and put it away, it was difficult to deal with.  I've already asked comiclink on their return process but in the meantime curious if you think it's a bad move to return a hard to find book. 
   The other question was regarding the staples; the nicer one I'm keeping didn't have any oxidation on them at all.  They were shiny on both the outside and inside, seemed out of place and I started thinking could it be a staple swap book but then I looked at a few others and I guess the few I looked at seemed to have similar looking stapes too.  Do these seem pretty normal for an eerie pub?

hnVSHFr.jpg
2JTqvnQ.jpg
WOCmZAc.jpg

Prices?

38 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

Yes, the staples appear to be normal.

Please keep in mind the only thing these two books may have in common is being manufactured at the same facility...

The rusty staples is obviously less desirable but note that I’ve gotten a 9.4 CGC Grade on book with rust setting in on the staples. I think these Eerie pubs used cheap components and that coupled with what sounds like moisture exposure  (its smell) the staples were bound to turn. If the details of the book were not mentioned or obvious I’d definitely return the book if it was misleading. 

21 minutes ago, bounty_coder said:

The rusty staples is obviously less desirable but note that I’ve gotten a 9.4 CGC Grade on book with rust setting in on the staples. I think these Eerie pubs used cheap components and that coupled with what sounds like moisture exposure  (its smell) the staples were bound to turn. If the details of the book were not mentioned or obvious I’d definitely return the book if it was misleading. 

9.4 with rust? WTF! :mad:

D2B4F987-3E13-42C1-9562-C8E68CC5DEC9.gif.4d829999494513a5cde659425ff8f2e5.gif

2 hours ago, 90sChild said:

$65 each, not a steal I've seen them cheaper on ebay but I don't know what kind of demand there is really if resold.

FYI,  the first issue isn’t that hard to find in those shapes. It’s in grade where it really becomes difficult. The next “Frankenstein” cover is far more popular too and more difficult to get a good price on it.

5 hours ago, 90sChild said:

hnVSHFr.jpg
2JTqvnQ.jpg
WOCmZAc.jpg

I wouldn’t be concerned about staples having been replaced on this book. They appear period correct and well outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed Usually you will find evidence of rust migration, glue at the spine or other signs of why staples might have been replaced. The thickness of the staple, and the close latch point on the interior look good. Page quality looks very nice too. Generally, seems like all the pre-1970 Eerie pubs are tougher than 1970-on.