• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
26 26

8,214 posts in this topic

On 10/18/2020 at 6:15 PM, N e r V said:

9.4 with rust? WTF! :mad:

One of my recent mag purchases graded 9.6 wp has a sun shadow across the length of the bottom of the back cover. Grrrrrrr.  :censored: Not an acceptable flaw on a 9.6 to me ever. There was no back cover scan by the seller, or I would have passed. 

Edited by Stevemmg

1 hour ago, Stevemmg said:

One of my recent mag purchases graded 9.6 wp has a sun shadow across the length of the bottom of the back cover. Grrrrrrr.  :censored: Not an acceptable flaw on a 9.6 to me ever. There was no back cover scan by the seller. 

Unless it occurred after slabbing? People do some stupid things around books like spilling coke or letting cats pee on them so I wouldn’t be surprised either if they do dumb things with slabbed books as well like getting them some sun. Lol

Just a thought...

10 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

A new addition.  These very early issues of the men's adventure magazines are unusually tough in high grade (but equally cool in their own right).  This is the second issue of Male, dated July 1950.  I think the cougar is my second favorite part of this cover.  The baby comes close but I'm going with the cougar.

2012224882_MaleMagazine_02_S.thumb.jpg.ec06854e974ade29f594294ed16731fc.jpg

I don’t think she’s old enough to be called that....:nyah:

1 hour ago, chevalmeow said:

Last batch that I received today are these 4 from ebay.  The Castle of Frankenstein is an upgrade while the others are about FN copies that I needed for the collection.

2020-10-23-0007.thumb.jpg.996afd7fe0b168af2c6fa9b730092e50.jpg2020-10-23-0009.thumb.jpg.f5f5c62e865d227bf706754f9acf1bf4.jpg2020-10-23-0010.thumb.jpg.f8c88a51a2eaed856f8ca1873ae65bda.jpg2020-10-23-0011.thumb.jpg.12df98f89e7132e0892c47955cd6eb0e.jpg

You can always find gems in those old Castle of Frankenstein magazines. That issue contains a article on Hitchcock where he mentions having breakfast with H. G. Wells and discussing a possible film of War of the Worlds! Now that’s something I would have loved to see...

8186FEA4-D799-45B6-A335-0181F2996F58.thumb.jpeg.0c843e60e318fc4ba127ec83bca8425c.jpeg

1 hour ago, N e r V said:

You can always find gems in those old Castle of Frankenstein magazines. That issue contains a article on Hitchcock where he mentions having breakfast with H. G. Wells and discussing a possible film of War of the Worlds! Now that’s something I would have loved to see...

8186FEA4-D799-45B6-A335-0181F2996F58.thumb.jpeg.0c843e60e318fc4ba127ec83bca8425c.jpeg

Thanks for sharing. Surprised That it was perfectly legible. Funny that Wells considered the story dated and Hitch agreed. Any mention, though, of Marnie now gives me the willies after watching the documentary a few years ago. 

Mo' purchases Mo' problems.   I bought these books on ebay and received them today.  I've attached the top three scans that were in the seller's listing, and then I've attached the books how they arrived.  All three of them appear to have issues that were not present in any of the pictures... I'm questioning if these are even the right copies of the books?  :pullhair:

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

ybuqKx8.jpg
EwNfO9F.jpg
dDkxkm8.jpg

2 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

Mo' purchases Mo' problems.   I bought these books on ebay and received them today.  I've attached the top three scans that were in the seller's listing, and then I've attached the books how they arrived.  All three of them appear to have issues that were not present in any of the pictures... I'm questioning if these are even the right copies of the books?  :pullhair:

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

ybuqKx8.jpg
EwNfO9F.jpg
dDkxkm8.jpg

Generous (poor?) scanner or touched up.

Yeah it has me very confused because there are certain aspects where there are similarities, for example the nightmare #9 bottom squarebound edge the paper appears to have folded over slightly and showing white paper which is also present in the seller's scan, but none of the color breaking is there on any of the edges.  Why put all that effort into touching up images, it would take 5-10 minutes per book at least just to blend things and this is a person with 11000 feedback so not a smart time investment.  If they were stock images you'd have to expect they would be misrepresented.  That top edge chipping with the color completely gone I don't know how anyone could think buyer's wouldn't notice it.  I also don't know how that could happen during transit if the shipper was at fault, I could see spine ticks being caused from sorting machines bending the package but color shouldn't just be disappearing.  It also couldn't dog ear corners.  Who knows.  I'll give the seller a chance to make it right, but he's not gonna like what I think they are worth.

Also I really like your Vampi #5, very hard to get that book without color rubbing off along the spine.

Edited by 90sChild

16 hours ago, Stevemmg said:

Such a gorgeous cover and a reminder of how great this chapter of BWS’s artistic career Turned out to be.  

8 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Have you seen this cover?  It's also spectacular

Epic Illustrated #16.jpg

My first Conan comic off the newsstands was #29. I saw a copy of #28 but it was already “pulled” aside before I could buy it and the clerk refused to sell it to me (I’m guessing now it was already counted as a return). So my introduction to Barry Smith was in my copy of Savage Tales #2. I was obsessed with Jim Starlins work on Captain Marvel at the time so Smith quickly was added as a favorite too. The fact his work wasn’t happening regularly for me at Marvel and those Conan back issues were higher priced because of him added to the mystique. I never really bought Epic magazine but his later work by the next decades I didn’t care for. He had a strange career with first aping Kirbys style on superheroes, finding his place on Conan but (for me at least) losing the style he gained in the 70’s much later in his career. Those Epics look good but not a lot that followed them...

91807A02-1D27-4A1A-A729-1D6F2E1C35FB.thumb.jpeg.f44995c12d91052d828883e9e85b5755.jpeg