• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
26 26

8,214 posts in this topic

I agree with N e r V.  BWS style did really change over the years but I’m a big fan of what it morphed into.  He used to have these over sized magazines called “Storyteller” that I really enjoyed.  You could tell he was still a huge Kirby fan.  What’s he up to these days?  Does anyone know?

Edited by Jasonmorris1000000

1 hour ago, 90sChild said:

Mo' purchases Mo' problems.   I bought these books on ebay and received them today.  I've attached the top three scans that were in the seller's listing, and then I've attached the books how they arrived.  All three of them appear to have issues that were not present in any of the pictures... I'm questioning if these are even the right copies of the books?  :pullhair:

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

ybuqKx8.jpg
EwNfO9F.jpg
dDkxkm8.jpg

Unfortunately, I also bought three books from that same seller on eBay.  It's quite obvious to me that the scans do not match the books I received.  Not worth my time to return them, but I won't buy from them again.

1 hour ago, 90sChild said:

Mo' purchases Mo' problems.   I bought these books on ebay and received them today.  I've attached the top three scans that were in the seller's listing, and then I've attached the books how they arrived.  All three of them appear to have issues that were not present in any of the pictures... I'm questioning if these are even the right copies of the books?  :pullhair:

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

ybuqKx8.jpg
EwNfO9F.jpg
dDkxkm8.jpg

In recent feedback, someone mentioned that seller uses photoshopped images. You should do the same. 

32 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I agree with N e r V.  BWS style did really change over the years but I’m a big fan of what it morphed into.  He used to have these over sized magazines called “Storyteller” that I really enjoyed.  You could tell he was still a huge Kirby fan.  What’s he up to these days?  Does anyone know?

Barry Smith through the years:

Kirby ape:

BF88E7B0-05A9-42E6-B577-FF9D076094F9.thumb.jpeg.9a644cd6302901c4a5c15b90cf3dc396.jpeg

Conan highs:

B3E0D24C-AD8C-4A5F-B50F-D34A1CFB34B1.thumb.jpeg.949be449cd49e29051a9c11878677766.jpeg

Your fav:

670057B3-F485-4C38-A38E-F79006F2AF79.thumb.jpeg.f2ec30fe3058f17014c73c46f893f7d8.jpeg

Something from the 2000’s I wouldn’t even recognize as his work:

128E7ADC-38B9-4B62-8066-A9EFFA030AED.thumb.jpeg.319020fa2d4cd4651607241afa1c9864.jpeg

2 hours ago, 90sChild said:

Yeah it has me very confused because there are certain aspects where there are similarities, for example the nightmare #9 bottom squarebound edge the paper appears to have folded over slightly and showing white paper which is also present in the seller's scan, but none of the color breaking is there on any of the edges.  Why put all that effort into touching up images, it would take 5-10 minutes per book at least just to blend things and this is a person with 11000 feedback so not a smart time investment.  If they were stock images you'd have to expect they would be misrepresented.  That top edge chipping with the color completely gone I don't know how anyone could think buyer's wouldn't notice it.  I also don't know how that could happen during transit if the shipper was at fault, I could see spine ticks being caused from sorting machines bending the package but color shouldn't just be disappearing.  It also couldn't dog ear corners.  Who knows.  I'll give the seller a chance to make it right, but he's not gonna like what I think they are worth.

Also I really like your Vampi #5, very hard to get that book without color rubbing off along the spine.

They look like totally different book to me.

I wish my scanner was big enough to handle these.  I can't really say I'm a fan of the size.  I can't find bags and boards for them and they don't fit in a normal sized box.

1 hour ago, N e r V said:

Barry Smith through the years:

Kirby ape:

Conan highs:

Your fav:

670057B3-F485-4C38-A38E-F79006F2AF79.thumb.jpeg.f2ec30fe3058f17014c73c46f893f7d8.jpeg

Something from the 2000’s I wouldn’t even recognize as his work:

4 hours ago, 90sChild said:

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

ybuqKx8.jpg
EwNfO9F.jpg
dDkxkm8.jpg

That seller has 26 neutral and 24 negative feedback.  Too many to consider buying from.  Sorry that you got burned but he obviously has misled you.  You should be able to get a full refund plus the shipping through the ebay return option.

On 10/24/2020 at 1:04 PM, 90sChild said:

They appear to be the same books IMHO but the sellers scans are either photoshopped (most likely) or very old scans and the books have been damaged much more since then, ie. poor storage conditions. Either way they very poorly represent what you received. I would be mad as well! :sumo: