• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
26 26

8,214 posts in this topic

On 12/28/2020 at 2:18 PM, Randall Dowling said:

It's an awesome cover by Val Mayerik! (thumbsu

There are a lot of great covers there. Underappreciated stuff, especially by this fickle market that discriminates against magazines because they have an odd size. It is absurd that this sold for less than the cost of slabbing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/RAMPAGING-HULK-1-CGC-9-2-W-PAGES-V-1-ORIGIN-OF-HULK-RETOLD-LOOKS-BETTER/284049109996?hash=item4222a573ec:g:qyEAAOSwYk9fiqC1  and this one too: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HULK-10-CGC-9-4-WP-NM-MT-Marvel-Comics-1978-formerly-the-Rampaging-Hulk-/203137705712?hash=item2f4bf366f0%3Ag%3ArBoAAOSwMalfhG~G&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

3 hours ago, the blob said:

Agreed!

48 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

In today.  Only 3 Marvel Super Specials to go (not counting Sgt. Pepper’s), but the three i still need are Jaws 2 and the Kiss issues.  So those may take a little while:

image.jpg

Sweet!  Marvel Super Special was my gateway comic magazine when I was growing up. My local grocery store would get one copy and if I was lucky enough to happen on it I’d grab it. #36 is my favorite. 

I tip my hat to you for going for the run. I had played with the idea, but it meant getting a lot of content I wasn’t especially interested in. Not any easy accomplishment - a non-traditional format, a lot of mostly-black and mostly-white covers that show wear real bad, and now because of the Hollywood-hype trend, several have spiked in price. 

8 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Sweet!  Marvel Super Special was my gateway comic magazine when I was growing up. My local grocery store would get one copy and if I was lucky enough to happen on it I’d grab it. #36 is my favorite. 

I tip my hat to you for going for the run. I had played with the idea, but it meant getting a lot of content I wasn’t especially interested in. Not any easy accomplishment - a non-traditional format, a lot of mostly-black and mostly-white covers that show wear real bad, and now because of the Hollywood-hype trend, several have spiked in price. 

It's an oddball title, to be sure.  I sometimes think that it's better considered as two titles... 1-13 as one run, and 14-41 as a different series.  And even if I don't care about some of the movies they adapted, it's an interesting snapshot on popular culture of that era.

And for every issue that makes you go "why?" there's one like the #36, Sienkiewicz on Dune is just a crazy cool concept.

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

I did too, but I finished reading the book the first time the day before the movie came out.  So I could easily follow what was happening.

I did the same and at least the book is a “classic”!  Nice title to collect. Graded magazines are ridiculously cheap. 

On 1/13/2021 at 3:25 PM, ThothAmon said:

I did the same and at least the book is a “classic”!  Nice title to collect. Graded magazines are ridiculously cheap. 

As far as I know, they won't slab this one yet.  Although the 60's magazine size Analog's would be one of the obvious runs for them to start with if they do start slabbing pulps; as published it's squarebound and trimmed, so really not much different than most of the Warren mags, actually, in format:

Analog_1965_03.jpg