• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
26 26

8,204 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, wombat said:

Real KISS blood is probably 95% drugs and alcohol. 

weren't simmons and stanley (or at least simmons) clean? simmons needed to be in peak condition in order to service 50 groupies a night, or that's what he would claim

19 hours ago, Jayman said:

I’m quite fond of this one...

National Lampoon # 41 CGC 9.4.JPG

crack it open and show us the cheech wizard (and the adams and jones stuff) ... was the cheech wizard original content? i am trying to figure out this cover. is she feeding her hot friend to the creatures?

18 minutes ago, the blob said:

crack it open and show us the cheech wizard (and the adams and jones stuff) ... was the cheech wizard original content? i am trying to figure out this cover. is she feeding her hot friend to the creatures?

If my scanner was working I would... and if the material wasn't inappropriate for the boards. (Actually, the Jones page in this particular issue might be safe...)

As far as I know all the Cheech Wizard content in National Lampoon was new; it ran irregularly from February 1972 to October 1975.  Jones's Idyl ran irregularly from January 1972 (the first issue with the "Funny Pages" section) until February 1976 or so; at least the Feb. 1976 is the last issue I know of with the strip.  The only cartoon I can recall appearing in EVERY issue from January 1972 on (at least until the early 80s) was Gahan Wilson's Nuts.

In any case, that particular issue is as good an example as any of why I'm trying to put together a run of the first 75 issues.  The series is frequently offensive and dated, but at least in the early years it was also frequently brilliant and hilarious and they hired some amazing comics talents to work with them.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

The Fritz painting is titled the “Ghoul Queen”, so I’d be inclined to think she just killed that girl and/or is going to feed her to the ghouls.

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

If my scanner was working I would... and if the material wasn't inappropriate for the boards. (Actually, the Jones page in this particular issue might be safe...)

As far as I know all the Cheech Wizard content in National Lampoon was new; it ran irregularly from February 1972 to October 1975.  Jones's Idyl ran irregularly from January 1972 (the first issue with the "Funny Pages" section) until February 1976 or so; at least the Feb. 1976 is the last issue I know of with the strip.  The only cartoon I can recall appearing in EVERY issue from January 1972 on (at least until the early 80s) was Gahan Wilson's Nuts.

In any case, that particular issue is as good an example as any of why I'm trying to put together a run of the first 75 issues.  The series is frequently offensive and dated, but at least in the early years it was also frequently brilliant and hilarious and they hired some amazing comics talents to work with them.

Is it the same Cheech Wizard as this one?

Epic Illustrated #23.jpg

2 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I read NL later, second hand, around 1980 when my brother was into it, he generally didn't hunt down older issues, but yeah, pretty inappropriate for age 8 me most of the time, funny

3 hours ago, the blob said:

Sure does look like Uncle Creepy. 🤔