• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
26 26

8,204 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Doohickamabob said:

Also, 1st printing (I think) of the #1 issue of EC-fanzine Squa Tront.

Looks to be a 2nd print.  First print has the staples "side stapled", i.e. punched onto the edge of the spine on and through the front cover.  Second print has the  staples "saddle stitched" (the way all comics are currently issued) like yours.

43 minutes ago, chevalmeow said:

Looks to be a 2nd print.  First print has the staples "side stapled", i.e. punched onto the edge of the spine on and through the front cover.  Second print has the  staples "saddle stitched" (the way all comics are currently issued) like yours.

Ah! Thank you. I knew there was a reason I had nagging doubt. Wishful thinking, I was.

9 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

Used to like reading,  Cartoons?????

Me too. Editorially, the magazine was not very cohesive, but the stories were fun. They had a section of reader-submitted drawings, and I really wanted to draw a cool car and send it in and get published. I drew a lot of cars, but never got organized enough to mail in a submission. I used to pore over the drawings that other people sent in, and really study the way they drew the tires and other parts. I was really fascinated by all the different shapes and approaches that were possible, in designing, shading, texturing the chrome, etc. Man, I can open up one of those magazines and it like a time machine that takes me back to my 10-year-old self, where all of a sudden I am in my childhood home and my dad is in the next room making me a peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich, and the TV is playing a Sid & Marty Krofft show and I'm reading CARtoons magazine and trying to draw the coolest car in the world.

On 7/14/2017 at 10:32 AM, Ant-Man said:

I enjoyed reading Ms. Tree comics in the early-mid 80s (as a departure from capes and spandex), but I had no idea that she first appeared in magazines.

Eclipse Magazine #6 (#1 is her first app.).

EM6.jpg

Eclipse has a neat cover?

On 8/18/2017 at 6:15 AM, fett said:

HeavyMetal1986Summer.jpg

I've got a copy of that stowed away somewhere.  My first intro to Druuna.  Actually bought it off the stands at a time when I wasn't collecting any more.  Floored by how graphic the sex was even for HM.