• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
26 26

8,204 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, bounty_coder said:

Good discussion y'all.

Comic Magazine grading differs a little bit than regular Sized Comic grading in a few ways:

1. There are certain defects such as Bindery Tears which are permitted in books up to 9.6/9.8 depending on how the rest of the book is. 
    • These are defects that someone who isn't a mag collector and say strictly used to Comic sized grading would scoff at as they look like "tiny spine splits" or Spine Tears (which essentially they are).
    • A 9.6/9.8 with this bindery defect may be deemed a NM- 9.2 raw by most people.  It really depends on the perspective and understanding the defect.
    • From a visual perspective it can be a defect which definitely affects the eye appeal so I can see it being shunned more even though the # says otherwise
  2. There is a Scale of Size valuation at play here.  When everyone says "mags are graded softer" it is not so much that.  It is the fact that Mags are bigger; have more real estate thus their defect impact is scaled upwards as well.  For example if you took the exact defects on a Certain Mag and Transposed them to a Comic book...all else being equal...The comic get's a lower grade because the surface area of the defects to size of medium ratio is more impact-full. That might blow some minds but that essentially is what it starts to boil down to (in my experience).

In terms of Census; yes I do think Mags in general are much further behind.  BUT; there are areas where this is normalized.  Take Marvel Preview #4 and #7; 2 books that took off like a Rocket (no pun intended) with the GOTG movies.  Compare those #'s those of their comic counterparts to get a better idea from a relative perspective.

I became a bounty coder!

Nick Doiron
Nick Doiron
Feb 8, 2018 · 5 min read
1*2flnTkaSCkerWNhHWdvc0w.png?q=20

hm

22 hours ago, N e r V said:

Almost 3 first issues...:devil:

Can you guess which one kinda is but kinda isn’t?:baiting:

You want to know what's embarrassing? I didn't even know that the #2 is essentially the #1 until I started looking at the book in Steve's sales thread and did some research on it (also, around the same time as reading about it in Bill Schelly's biography of Warren. Just goes to show you that you can be around something for 40 years and know very little about the subject. I wonder if anyone here has seen an actual copy of the #1 (ashcan)?

I've always loved the mags, but never gave much thought to their history until a couple of months ago. All kinds of interesting stories about Warren and crew.

23 hours ago, N e r V said:

Still waiting on my recent Steve thread books but here’s my 9. Dupes or upgrades of a sort for me but I had fun watching the feeding frenzy by some...:nyah:

E725023B-CC13-406D-8D73-DB3610692E21.jpeg.c90e053e0cecf5a9c84dab9bc6775144.jpeg

I got most of the books I was looking for which if you ever tried claiming books while actually having to work you know the challenges. As noted there are a few black or blackish covers which are difficult in grade...

Thanks again Steve!

You got my #2 :ohnoez:

:takeit:

J/K, I'm super happy with what I did get. You got a most excellent pile as well!

Edited by Annihilus

58 minutes ago, Annihilus said:

You want to know what's embarrassing? I didn't even know that the #2 is essentially the #1 until I started looking at the book in Steve's sales thread and did some research on it (also, around the same time as reading about it in Bill Schelly's biography of Warren. Just goes to show you that you can be around something for 40 years and know very little about the subject. I wonder if anyone here has seen an actual copy of the #1 (ashcan)?

I've always loved the mags, but never gave much thought to their history until a couple of months ago. All kinds of interesting stories about Warren and crew.

ABCEF12D-08DC-42A1-8B20-65AF1E4990F8.jpeg.e2d59aae7ce9a3c25ef11ae352ce5c34.jpeg

F593A8C6-55BC-417C-957B-9B0E28190676.jpeg.521999b2ed524f3bfefdb1be6ef330cc.jpeg

8C0C8F9B-9B99-4520-AB96-740AC04A59A4.jpeg.a0b7c0c4c968c2051db5a1a719b5cc84.jpeg

:wink:  Like the Yeti and unicorns they are hard to come by but worth the effort.. 

Edited by N e r V

1 hour ago, Annihilus said:

I wonder if anyone here has seen an actual copy of the #1 (ashcan)?

I (and several others here) have seen many copies of “Eerie #1”.  The trouble is, even the most experienced collectors and dealers can’t say with certainty that it’s a legitimate copy from Jim Warren or a “second printing” or a counterfeit.  The production quality was so low and there is a lot of confusion about which traits are legit and which aren’t.  As such, I personally consider it a novelty, not a magazine.  It’s just too expensive a gamble to be wrong and find out later your copy isn’t the real deal.  2c

43 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

I (and several others here) have seen many copies of “Eerie #1”.  The trouble is, even the most experienced collectors and dealers can’t say with certainty that it’s a legitimate copy from Jim Warren or a “second printing” or a counterfeit.  The production quality was so low and there is a lot of confusion about which traits are legit and which aren’t.  As such, I personally consider it a novelty, not a magazine.  It’s just too expensive a gamble to be wrong and find out later your copy isn’t the real deal.  2c

After a few years of research on Eerie #1 ashcan I can say I’m pretty comfortable with the following.

1) the Overstreet listing is 100% false and has been from its original printing which is where the confusion originated and why so many threads on the subject are all over the place with opinions. I’ve been sending Overstreet clearly printed material that proves their listing as BS including Warrens own comments on the 2 editions and how to tell the difference with crickets from them.

2) there are only 2 editions, the original and the counterfeit which was circulated a few years later by someone “close” to Mr. Warren (hence the better than average printing). The blue staple copies are the original counterfeit, not a second printing. That’s been in print as such since the 1970’s despite Overstreet ‘s vague listing.

3) I have never heard of another printing or counterfeit outside of the blue staple copy. The differences between the original and blue staple edition are obvious. I challenge anyone to come forward with another counterfeit edition. The copies that sellers sell on eBay as replicas are far, far from being a serious counterfeit.

4) the whole “it’s impossible to tell” is BS based on confusion from the original Overstreet listing and even some of the most veteran dealers having inexperience with the ashcan.

FYI, none that was directed at Randall Dowling who is a saint here. 

It’s just super frustrating to me that the misinformation has gone on for so long. I’ve actually been able to compare multiple copies of the blue staple counterfeit and originals with provenance and the differences outlined in Overstreet are at least correct and as easy to tell as say the Cerebus counterfeits which can be graded but Eerie #1 is denied because of more Overstreet misinformation...

1 hour ago, Randall Dowling said:

Provenance is everything with the Ashcan #1 

9 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Welcome to the fold.😉

I've gotta tell you I have collected everything from every age, and have never had as much fun as I do with collecting Warren horror mags. 

The guys that frequent the Magazine forum are top notch guys, and am proud to know them all. They have literally helped me grow a pretty damn cool collection of mags. 

My little thank you guys. I appreciate you all.

Says the guy with near complete runs of the Warren majors...

39 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Provenance is everything with the Ashcan #1 

I would add knowledge to that as well before trying to obtain a copy. The most common issue is people with the blue staple copies offering them as “second printings” or originals when it’s easy to tell they’re not. The counterfeit IMO is a special piece of the Warren history with as good as production values or better than the original and deserves its place (and value) in the hobby but just not the 1-2k you’d expect to pay for an original first printing.

On 10/16/2019 at 7:54 PM, N e r V said:

I would add knowledge to that as well before trying to obtain a copy. The most common issue is people with the blue staple copies offering them as “second printings” or originals when it’s easy to tell they’re not. The counterfeit IMO is a special piece of the Warren history with as good as production values or better than the original and deserves its place (and value) in the hobby but just not the 1-2k you’d expect to pay for an original first printing.

Thanks for all the info, guys! Just from doing a little research, it reminds me a bit of counterfeit Cerebus #1 where it does have a (mostly historical) value, but is not free.

I thought about getting a counterfeit just to have it (and still might) but am probably still a long way away from ever getting an original, if ever. If you can believe Google, 'around 400-500' of the original were printed and while that is not a ton, it is also much more than something like 10 or even 50. It would be interesting to know where/how all of those were distributed in the half dozen cities they were sent to. I know they 'went to news stands to be sold', but surely there is more to the story.

Been reading a ton of Warren this week. Some good, some not so much, but enjoyable either way.

On 10/16/2019 at 7:19 PM, oakman29 said:

Welcome to the fold.😉

I've gotta tell you I have collected everything from every age, and have never had as much fun as I do with collecting Warren horror mags. 

The guys that frequent the Magazine forum are top notch guys, and am proud to know them all. They have literally helped me grow a pretty damn cool collection of mags. 

My little thank you guys. I appreciate you all.

Thanks, man...though the last thing I need to be doing is joining more folds, lol

I already don't have enough money for all of the PCH books that seem to show up here every 5 minutes. I absolutely love my Vampi mags and no ragerts, but I had to make some difficult choices in a PCH thread or two over the last couple of weeks.

7 minutes ago, Annihilus said:

Thanks, man...though the last thing I need to be doing is joining more folds, lol

I already don't have enough money for all of the PCH books that seem to show up here every 5 minutes. I absolutely love my Vampi mags and no ragerts, but I had to make some difficult choices in a PCH thread or two over the last couple of weeks.

You’ve made the right choice.  Don’t look back.  Just keep upgrading your Vampirellas, you’ll be glad you did! :insane:

49 minutes ago, Annihilus said:

It's really just an extension of the pre code horror genre.:devil: