• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
26 26

8,214 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Taylor G said:

For those that don't know, Gary Brodsky's father Sol was the Sky in Skywald.

Interesting. At least this book and possibly some others (as the cover says #1) have a connection to the original family. I’ve been seeing these other newer books produced by “Gwandanaland” that are reprinting all the Skywald titles with this notation on the back. (Pics from eBay below)

Skywald produced incredible stories, but they were negligent in one very important task – they failed to copyright their horror mags. So, for the first time in Gwandanaland ComicsTM history, we're able to bring you some great books from the 1970s!

If true, which I’m assuming it is, is quite sad that no one owns the rights to this material anymore. :sorry:

7FB434CC-3D55-4077-ACB8-002AD4118F53.png

298B6037-F6A3-4AB1-8506-D2FCADD4E905.png

The back cover also says (in case you can’t read it on the pic) the following. Which actually sums up these mags pretty well!

Launched by Golden Age veteran Sol Brodsky and I.W. Publishing's pirate reprinter Israel Waldman, Skywald (using parts of each last name) was going to be the next force in comics! The long list of established professionals suiggested that this would be the case: Writers T. Casey Brennan, Gerry Conway, Steve Englehart, Gardner Fox, Doug Moench, Dave Sim, Len Wein, and Marv Wolfman, and artists Rich Buckler, Gene Day Vince Colletta, Bill Everett, Bruce Jones, Pablo Marcos, Syd Shores, Chic Stone, and Tom Sutton (plus a little work from newcomer John Byrne). The line centered on horror, with NIGHTMARE, PSYCHO and SCREAM headlining. The stories were top-notch and the artwork unparalleled, and for five years Skywald offered masters of the genre. Alas, this small company could not compete with the power of major distributors of Marvel and DC, being pushed off the newsstands, until in 1975 the last Skywald issue was published.

Yeah I have all the Gwandanaland books.  The reproduction of the covers is horrible.  Someone (Brodsky?) complained about their reproductions, but they had no legal case to pursue.  Frankly I don't have much sympathy, if they were interested in doing something with the material, couldn't they have pursued a quality line of reproductions with Dark Horse, similar to their very nice Creepy and Eerie archives?  There was a market for that ten years ago. 

This is still better than Web of Horror, where Dark Horse IIRC had to cancel plans for reproducing those books in a nice archive, because the material is tied up in publication rights hell.  

12 hours ago, Taylor G said:

I came across this 1999 book a little while ago. The nineties :insane:.

best-of-skywald.thumb.jpg.64eac47a90ae07ae38da784d7f3c4de4.jpg

That's a LOT of hiney for a horror book :x GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12