• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
26 26

8,214 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

... these covers are very inspired... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

DSCN9827 (2).JPG

The Skywalds have such nice saturated inks on them that really display nice in hand, don’t they? It is also their curse as the inks tend to come off and leave smudges and fingerprints! This one has that black back cover, how’s the back Jim?

2 hours ago, Jayman said:

The Skywalds have such nice saturated inks on them that really display nice in hand, don’t they? It is also their curse as the inks tend to come off and leave smudges and fingerprints! This one has that black back cover, how’s the back Jim?

Back cover is black and yellow mostly. I gave that one an 8.0 when I was cataloging them but may end up a 7.5. None were pressed and all could benefit. I probably got 20 of them(Skywalds) in this last collection. I'm keeping a few but most will go up for sale in a thread. I'm what the coin guys used to call a "type set" collector ... I like a few nice examples, but am not a completist. Can't afford to be. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

... didn't take a picture but there were some magazines in it called Scarlet Street (... I think) and I kept the "swimsuit" issue with Gill man and Julie Adams on the cover. She recently passed or I would get her "Joan Hancock " on it. 

Edited by jimjum12

14 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Just a quick question:  were Emergency!, Space: 1999, and Six Million Dollar Man the only Charlton magazines?  (Charlton Bullseye wasn't actually from them officially, I believe.)

I’m like 95% positive the Charlton Bullseye was published by Charlton.  It’s got the same Bullseye logo as their comics.  Unless there’s some obscure factoid I’m not aware of....

As far as comic magazines, searching through MCS inventory I see Hercules from ‘68 and the the Sick humor magazine. There’s something called CB Times from ‘79 but that seems more like traditional magazine content. 

11 hours ago, Number 6 said:

I’m like 95% positive the Charlton Bullseye was published by Charlton.  It’s got the same Bullseye logo as their comics.  Unless there’s some obscure factoid I’m not aware of....

As far as comic magazines, searching through MCS inventory I see Hercules from ‘68 and the the Sick humor magazine. There’s something called CB Times from ‘79 but that seems more like traditional magazine content. 

I think GCD sums it up well when it says Charlton Bullseye was published with the cooperation and sponsorship of Charlton.  Basically Charlton gave inventory material to CPL to use; I would look at it as Charlton suckering somebody else into publishing their version of "Foom" instead of needing to pay to produce and distribute it themselves.  Which seems like exactly the sort of cheap move Charlton would go for.

Hercules and the last 26 issues of Sick both definitely qualify, though.  Nobody ever seems to remember Sick unless their nose is rubbed in it, though.  Which seems odd for a book that ran 20 years and was created by Joe Simon, but there you go.  I've seen a few issues for sale over the years but I don't think I've ever looked inside one; I know I've never owned one.

15 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I think GCD sums it up well when it says Charlton Bullseye was published with the cooperation and sponsorship of Charlton.  Basically Charlton gave inventory material to CPL to use; I would look at it as Charlton suckering somebody else into publishing their version of "Foom" instead of needing to pay to produce and distribute it themselves.  Which seems like exactly the sort of cheap move Charlton would go for.

Hercules and the last 26 issues of Sick both definitely qualify, though.  Nobody ever seems to remember Sick unless their nose is rubbed in it, though.  Which seems odd for a book that ran 20 years and was created by Joe Simon, but there you go.  I've seen a few issues for sale over the years but I don't think I've ever looked inside one; I know I've never owned one.

Huh, well I’ve never owned or read an issue for the Charlton Bullseye magazine so I really can’t argue either way. 

I could see why Marvel would farm out FOOM at that was kind of like a fan club magazine. 

I always thought that the Bullseye magazine was just the counterpart to the comic-size Charlton Bullseye, like their licensed comic/magazines. I also just assumed that it was a DC Showcase-type try-out book like the Bullseye comic. 

Wonder why they farmed just that one magazine out and not all their comic magazines. I wonder if the comic-size Bullseye was farmed out too?  I have one issue of that, I’ll have to check. 

Edited by Number 6

2 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Huh, well I’ve owned or read an issue for the Charlton Bullseye magazine so I really can’t argue either way. 

I could see why Marvel would farm out FOOM at that was kind of like a fan club magazine. 

I always thought that the Bullseye magazine was just the counterpart to the comic-size Charlton Bullseye, like their licensed comic/magazines. I also just assumed that it was a DC Showcase-type try-out book like the Bullseye comic. 

Wonder why they farmed just that one magazine out and not all their comic magazines. I wonder if the comic-size Bullseye was farmed out too?  I have one issue of that, I’ll have to check. 

The Comic-sized Bullseye had a different scam, if I recall correctly.  It was actually published by Charlton, but the only payment the creators got was comp copies of the books.  They were basically working for free but getting nationally distributed exposure.