• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
26 26

8,218 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, N e r V said:

A placeholder copy for now. Contains some early work by a hack named Wrightson.

Sadly only one left these days from the Jones-Wrightson-Kaulta trilogy.

48736c3a146d6b279e39cb34b6a95b9abfd2c5e0

That is a nice copy.  Most seem to have scuffing along the spine on the FC.  Yours looks pretty good.

15 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I don't think I've posted here before, I mostly hang out in the GA forums.

But my magazine collection got some help today, so why not?

Help_08.jpg

Help_10.jpg

Cool mags! The second one with Jackie Gleason on it jogged an old memory of a alien encounter tv show I once watched. In it, it stated that the then president Nixon (who was friends with Gleason) supposivly showed alien bodies to Gleason at a secret base. Never though much of it as all those show are pretty much made up. But now I'm curious as to what this article is about "Venus is here"! Any chance of a quick breakdown? :wishluck:

6 hours ago, Jayman said:

Cool mags! The second one with Jackie Gleason on it jogged an old memory of a alien encounter tv show I once watched. In it, it stated that the then president Nixon (who was friends with Gleason) supposivly showed alien bodies to Gleason at a secret base. Never though much of it as all those show are pretty much made up. But now I'm curious as to what this article is about "Venus is here"! Any chance of a quick breakdown? :wishluck:

I'm happy to share what there is, but you're going to be disappointed.  There is no article connected to the cover, just a short paragraph describing setting up for the photo.  (They only had 30 minutes to do it, in Gleason's dressing room, as Gleason was filming his show.)  I don't think any of the Help! covers ever directly connect to anything inside the mag; which I assume was just Kurtzman being his own wonderfully odd self, messing with people's expectations.

@OtherEric Thanks for the info! I didn't really expect to hear anything earth shattering but it seems I had the timeline screwed up anyway. Nixon was president from 69-74 and this mag had a cover date of 1960. Too early for the events to have happened yet if at all.

17 hours ago, Jayman said:

Jayman, you can find various sources for the story and I'm not sure what the TV show was you saw but here's the story on Jackies alien encounter.

https://butterflylanguage.com/2016/11/09/the-one-where-nixon-showed-jackie-gleason-aliens/

Looks like the original story broke out in 1974 for Esquire magazine or 1983 for the National Enquirer depending on this articles own information.

Edited by N e r V