• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC 9.4 , corner crease w/color break,transparency inside page transfer,&ow?

25 posts in this topic

I saw this end tonight,

Iron Man #5 CGC 9.4 auction and was wondering as to how it achieved its grade.

Plenty of comics I have seen have come back 9.0 or less with such imperfections.

Given the human grading factor, I must ask this question.

And this is not a CGC blast about their grading , more a general "what makes up a true 9.4 question"

"isnt a 9.4 supposed to be darn near flawless?, and this Iron Man #5 has a corner crease w/ color break, inside page transfer, and cover trasnparency, and also is just OW.

Not even OW/W

A 9.4 to me means it is darn near unimprovable.. and this example leads me to believe perhaps I am wrong.

Did this comic get high marks for a really realllly super tight spine? staples placement? and sharp corners?

Is it safe to assume that if a comic has certain positive atributes, then other flaws are overlooked?

Blast away with your comments, and let me know if I am way of base here.And what you qualify as a true 9.4, whats allowed ,, and whats not?

Thnx

Zeman

"isnt a 9.4 supposed to be darn near flawless?, and this Iron Man #5 has a corner crease w/ color break, inside page transfer, and cover trasnparency, and also is just OW.

Not even OW/W

I've seen 9.8s with only off-white pages (in fact, I'm auctioning one right now!) so the page color is not entirely connected to the grade. The transfer anomaly on the inside pages is noted on the label, but the thing that doesn't make sense to me is the corner crease. I could see that book grading out 9.0, maybe 9.2, but 9.4 is way lenient. I sure wouldn't risk recerting because they might not be so kind. Speaking to the "light transfer stain" qualifier on the label, I've seen this on other books where CGC gave it a blue label but qualified the grade with a comment. I wonder if this was holdered before they started green labeling books?

A 9.4 to me means it is darn near unimprovable.. and this example leads me to believe perhaps I am wrong.

Did this comic get high marks for a really realllly super tight spine? staples placement? and sharp corners?

Is it safe to assume that if a comic has certain positive atributes, then other flaws are overlooked?

Blast away with your comments, and let me know if I am way of base here.And what you qualify as a true 9.4, whats allowed ,, and whats not?

You're slightly off-base, although I also find color-breaking corner creases to be questionable in a 9.4. The book does look like it could be 9.8/9.9 other than the crease. I've seen other books that I couldn't believe got a 9.4 with 2-4 miscellaneous defects BESIDES a crease; this one looks less controversial to me than those others I've seen. Off-white pages don't affect the CGC 9.4 grade and the Overstreet Grading Guide jibes with that.

CGC doesn't downgrade for translucency, and it's also hard to tell how much translucency a CGC book actually has from a scan because the white microchamber inside the front cover enhances its effect.

I don't have my Overstreet Grading Guide handy because I'm still at work, but there is a chart in the OGG that demonstrates how many defects are allowable in a given grade. The corner crease is indeed a biggie on a 9.4, but the rest of the cover (transparency aside) appears just about perfect, with no color flecks, razor sharp spine corners, etc. It's possible that the corner crease was given a weight of -0.4 and that any other defects were given a -0.2. Obviously all we can see is the cover and we can't say how big of a transfer stain there is on the inside pages, but this is a possibility. Also, I didn't think CGC downgraded for OW pages in NM, or for cover transparency regardless of the grade.

I saw this end tonight,

Iron Man #5 CGC 9.4 auction and was wondering as to how it achieved its grade.

Plenty of comics I have seen have come back 9.0 or less with such imperfections.

Given the human grading factor, I must ask this question.

And this is not a CGC blast about their grading , more a general "what makes up a true 9.4 question"

Not even OW/W

Thnx

Zeman

quote]

You're slightly off-base, although I also find color-breaking corner creases to be questionable in a 9.4. The book does look like it could be 9.8/9.9 other than the crease. I've seen other books that I couldn't believe got a 9.4 with 2-4 miscellaneous defects BESIDES a crease; this one looks less controversial to me than one or two others. Off-white pages don't affect the CGC 9.4 grade and the Overstreet Grading Guide jibes with that.

I guess its a mattter of personal taste, to me page quality is very important, and OW/W is a must for a 9.4.

And anything with a color break getting a 9.4 needless to say , it made this owner very very happy to get back a 9.4.

And dont get me wrong, this is one sweet, sweet comic, that upper left corner is peerless.

You're slightly off-base, although I also find color-breaking corner creases to be questionable in a 9.4. The book does look like it could be 9.8/9.9 other than the crease. I've seen other books that I couldn't believe got a 9.4 with 2-4 miscellaneous defects BESIDES a crease; this one looks less controversial to me than those others I've seen. Off-white pages don't affect the CGC 9.4 grade and the Overstreet Grading Guide jibes with that.

CGC doesn't downgrade for translucency, and it's also hard to tell how much translucency a CGC book actually has from a scan because the white microchamber inside the front cover enhances its effect.

I've gotten a 9.6 from a MTU 4 with WP with 2 corner creases! I couldn't believe the grade when I got it even though the rest of the book was basically perfect. It was in my first submission and clobbertime got it cheap from me. Maybe if you teach him to use a scanner, he can post it if he still has the book!

I've gotten a 9.6 from a MTU 4 with WP with 2 corner creases! I couldn't believe the grade when I got it even though the rest of the book was basically perfect. It was in my first submission and clobbertime got it cheap from me.

shocked.gifshocked.gif

Wonder if clobberintime WOULD post a scan...I have no doubt that almost any collector would love posting a scan of a book that screams "hey, look how badly I got screwed by buying THIS comic!" 27_laughing.gif

I've gotten a 9.6 from a MTU 4 with WP with 2 corner creases! I couldn't believe the grade when I got it even though the rest of the book was basically perfect. It was in my first submission and clobbertime got it cheap from me.

shocked.gifshocked.gif

Wonder if clobberintime WOULD post a scan...I have no doubt that almost any collector would love posting a scan of a book that screams "hey, look how badly I got screwed by buying THIS book!" 27_laughing.gif

Nope...Robby was fully informed by me of the corner creases. However, in retrospect, I should have just listed it on eBay but I didn't because I had real reservations about the grade. Also, I priced it so cheap and he got a fantastic deal from me, as he got to me early (right after the poor showing on my FF 25 CGC 9.2 - $500+ WTF?). Luckily I made it up with a $400 sale of my other better 9.6 copy that I sold on ComicLink!

So can you have a CGC 10 ow or ow/w ? confused.gif
You can have it with OWW pages, as there was a Wolverine 1 Limited Series that achieved this grade. OWW appears to be the lowest PQ acceptable in a CGC 10 grade.

right after the poor showing on my FF 25 CGC 9.2 - $500+ WTF?

I kicked myself for not bidding on that book when I saw the final price. Why couldn't your FF 49 go under the radar like that?!!??! frown.gif

right after the poor showing on my FF 25 CGC 9.2 - $500+ WTF?

I kicked myself for not bidding on that book when I saw the final price. Why couldn't your FF 49 go under the radar like that?!!??! frown.gif

Like that was likely. At least I didn't take Rob's initial offer of $1,600! foreheadslap.gif The gig was up after he stole the following books from me!

1) Incredible Hulk Annual 1 CGC 9.4

2) FF 72 CGC 9.4

3) FF 73 CGC 9.6

4) X-men 50 CGC 9.6

5) X-men 51 CGC 9.4

6) MTU 4 CGC 9.6

Sigh...I could have made at least a grand more if I just listed it on eBay during the glory days. At least he didn't buy the FF 75 CGC 9.6 with COW pages that got $510 on eBay! foreheadslap.gif