• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

why do people avoid 9.6 moderns? is the .2 really worth it?
1 1

54 posts in this topic

I don't get it? Is the .2 really worth the extra money on moderns?

With that said, the difference between a 9.6 wd 1 that I bought vs a 9.8 was $100. I didn't see the point in spending that for a keeper book.

I've read how people are disappointed in 9.6's, I will take any 9.6 for my permanent collection.

It really depends what modern you're talking about. Most moderns are so abundant in supply that getting a 9.8 should be a matter of searching, supply and patience.

For big books, I would say, "yes" the .2 does make a difference, especially with your example of the Walking Dead #1. It may not make a difference to you, but to the collector out there who wants the "best" representation of a WD #1, they want that 9.8 because IT IS better than a 9.6.

Of course, for you (and even for me) in the case of a WD #1, I'm perfectly fine with owning a 9.6. I'm glad to have the book in any shape!

But if we were talking 5 or so years ago when the book was first starting, why not go for the 9.8, because you can and copies were in relative abundance at the dealer level (relatively speaking).

So all in all, people avoid 9.6 moderns (imo) simply because the 9.8's are out there, and they're readily attainable.

Jerel--you show off :sumo:

I have a Walking Dead #1 9.6 and believe me I am happy to have a copy but I really wish I spent the extra $ for a 9.8..now the price is way to high for me.

I think there is a bigger difference between a 9.4 to a 9.6..just my 2c

Edited by dhurley1125

Yes, it is.

With the abundance of 9.8 copies readily available for pretty much any modern you can think of (with the exception of some indie keys, of course), I just don't see the point in ever buying a 9.6.

You may be able to get a 9.6 copy dirt cheap, sure, but if you try to sell it at a later date, you'll find that the market places hardly no value on these books, and it's a bear to offload 9.6 copies of non-keys.

the difference between 9.6 and 9.8 are usually just monetary and a matter of preference. obviously silver and gold with some bronze is different from something that came out last week.

i did 9.8 and 9.6 prescreens for a couple of years, most of the time the defect is very minicule you could easily miss it. ie: finger print, slight bend or wave.

i would bet that if you put a run of 9.6s beside a run of 9.8s you would be hard pressed to tell the differences

i also agree there is a bigger difference between 9.4 and 9.6

if it's not a WD #1 type book, what's the point of the added expense of a 9.6 slab on 99.9% of the stuff out there. you can buy scads of 9.6 raws for cover price or less on most issues out there.

I've read how people are disappointed in 9.6's

For keeper collections, the majority of people want THE best possible. 9.8s are usually it. As previously stated, abundance dictates this line of thinking. I'd even go as far as copper with this, unless its one of those cost prohibitive copper keys where a 9.8 copy costs 300% more than a 9.6.

For resale, there is no question one would be disappointed because there literally is almost no market for 9.6 moderns unless its scarce/rare/low print run books. You might as well crack it, read it once and sell it raw for $2.99.

I agree with everything said in this thread so far. I prefer 9.8's even if I can't see the difference most of the time. I find it hard to spend the extra $'s when a good 9.6 is available but I can easily find a 9.8. I am happy to have any book 9.2 and above in my own personal collection. It matters most when dealing with non-expensive keys. I am always worried when I buy 9.6's if I will be able to sell it, where as I never feel that way regarding 9.8's.

For Marvel and DC I would never buy a 9.6. I have many 9.6s and even some 9.4s because I like to buy raw books and get them signed. My Y the Last Man #1 is 9.4 because I missed a fingerprint on the BC. My Transmet #1 is 9.4 because Warren Ellis manhandled it (Which is cool in a twisted sort of way now. :insane:) and my Fables #1 is 9.6 for a reason that i don't know because it was suuuper sweet.

I love all those books, but the resale on them is impacted heavily by the lower grade. Fortunately, I don't have very much invested in them. The real heartbreak is cracking a 9.8 and having it come back 9.6.

that is so true, that's why i like to keep moderns raw, most of what i like you can pick up in $1 bins at a show.

if you're gonna stay with the slabs, i really think that soon, maybe now, 9.8s are going to be like 9.6s. if you want something that's going to get a crazy price it's going to have to be 9.9 or 10, which i have never received. they are going to be just way to common

It depends on the book and the situation.

I'm going to limit my response to buying a book already slabbed.

If the book just came out within the past few months you should avoid the 9.6 and go for the 9.8. As was previously stated, they are usually easy to find since there will be plenty of people selling 9.8's and they generally aren't that expensive at first.

If the book hasn't come out recently and isn't valuable, then you can probably buy a 9.6 for less than the grading fees.

If the book is already established as a valuable book, I think 9.6 is the way to go if I'm keeping the book for myself. As for resale, if the book is already established I don't see you losing money on it. I'm perfectly happy with my WD #1 9.6 and it's worth more now than what I paid for it. The difference between Invincible 9.6 and 9.8 when I bought mine was $100. I'm sorry, but I was perfectly happy with the 9.6 and $100 to spend on more comics. 2c

It depends on the book and the situation.

I'm going to limit my response to buying a book already slabbed.

If the book just came out within the past few months you should avoid the 9.6 and go for the 9.8. As was previously stated, they are usually easy to find since there will be plenty of people selling 9.8's and they generally aren't that expensive at first.

If the book hasn't come out recently and isn't valuable, then you can probably buy a 9.6 for less than the grading fees.

If the book is already established as a valuable book, I think 9.6 is the way to go if I'm keeping the book for myself. As for resale, if the book is already established I don't see you losing money on it. I'm perfectly happy with my WD #1 9.6 and it's worth more now than what I paid for it. The difference between Invincible 9.6 and 9.8 when I bought mine was $100. I'm sorry, but I was perfectly happy with the 9.6 and $100 to spend on more comics. 2c

That is my whole thing, if I can get 2 9.6's for my collection vs only 1 9.8, I'm going for the 2 books. I'm talking about keepers, not buy and flip books.

In some cases you can buy more than 2. lol

Walking Dead #1 9.8 is about $700 right now.

Instead you could buy:

Walking Dead #1 9.6 about $300

Chew #1 9.8 about $200

Invincible #1 9.6 about $100

Proof #1 9.8 about $100 (or less??)

I used those books since I know they are popular here on the boards and people are familar with them. You could also drop that Chew #1 to a 9.6 and add another comic.

It's Quality vs. Quantity. People on both sides of that fence. (thumbs u

It all comes down to your budget and personal preference.

Edited by maloney414

I tend to consider resale, even for keeper books. At some point down the line, I'll probably sell the book. And I know that more people will be interested in a 9.8, so I might as well pay the extra coin.

Actually, that's only a small, small part of the equation. My main reason is that I'm anal as all hell. If I can see the flaw, I don't want it.

With that said, there's a huge debate about whether buying graded 9.8s is worth the extra money for moderns or coppers and some bronze books. Supposedly, you can find 9.6 or better pretty easily for most of the books I'm interested in. At least, that's what I'm told. But I sure as hell don't know where to find them. Late Conans or John Carter of Mars or Warlord, or X-Men and ASM from my youth are supposed to be plentiful in high grade, yet I've never found one that wasn't already graded. Instead, I find 9.4 or less. So for me, I might as well pay the extra money for these "common" books just because I can't find them otherwise.

if it's not a WD #1 type book, what's the point of the added expense of a 9.6 slab on 99.9% of the stuff out there. you can buy scads of 9.6 raws for cover price or less on most issues out there.

Totally. For more common books - slabbing a 9.6 is generally going to be a money loser, while 9.8 books have a least a chance of recouping slab costs and maybe turning a profit. Few collectors are interested in slabbed 9.6 run of the mill moderns, so it's understandable that once a modern book becomes valuable enough to slab in lesser grades that the "9.8 or better" crowd would still be willing to pay a premium for the grade, to match the rest of their collection.