• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nice Spider-man run on E-bay

147 posts in this topic

Three Modern books to CGC

Dynamic Forces Books Value $15.00 per book Total $45

Grading Fees $48.00 ($16 per Book)

20% Discount - $9.60

Shipping Fee $22.50

CGC Total $60.90 (20.30 per Book)

Three Modern books to CGG

Grading Fees $30.00 ($10 per Book)

No Discount

Shipping Fee $16.65 (14.65 + 2.00 insurance)

CGG Total $46.65 ($15.55 per book)

Savings $14.25 ($4.75 per book)

Dynamic Forces Books Value $15 per book total $150

CGC Grading fees for 10 Moderns: $150

CGC Discount of 20%: -$30

Insured UPS Shipping: $22.50

CGC Total $142.50 ($14.25 per book)

Retail Value of CGC Books in 9.8: +300% to +800% of guide

CGG Grading fees for 10 Moderns: $100

No Discount

Shipping Fee $16.65 (14.64 + 2.00 insurance)

CGG Total $116.65 ($11.65 per book)

Retail Value of CGG Books in 9.8: +0% to +50% of guide

Getting your Silver Age Unrestored CGG books back as a CGC Restored: Priceless

Three Modern books to CGC

Grading Fees $48.00 ($16 per Book)

20% Discount - $9.60

Shipping Fee $22.50

CGC Total $60.90 (20.30 per Book)

Three Modern books to CGG

Grading Fees $30.00 ($10 per Book)

No Discount

Shipping Fee $16.65 (14.65 + 2.00 insurance)

CGG Total $46.65 ($15.55 per book)

Savings $14.25 ($4.75 per book)

Dynamic Forces Books Value $15 per book total $150

CGC Grading fees for 10 Moderns: $150

CGC Discount of 20%: -$30

Insured UPS Shipping: $22.50

CGC Total $142.50 ($14.25 per book)

Retail Value of CGC Books in 9.8: +300% to +800% of guide

CGG Grading fees for 10 Moderns: $100

No Discount

Shipping Fee $16.65 (14.64 + 2.00 insurance)

CGG Total $116.65 ($11.65 per book)

Retail Value of CGG Books in 9.8: +0% to +50% of guide

Getting your Silver Age Unrestored CGG books back as a CGC Restored: Priceless

I see alot of cgc's getting no bids

I see alot of cgc's getting no bids

I have yet to see a CGG book command a premium that CGC does. Compare a CGG book and CGC book of the same issue and grade...see the difference? It is the same difference as buying Coca-Cola and Generic Brand Cola. People tend to stick with a product that they trust.

I sold a Lois Lane #93 CGG 9.6 for 7X NM guide recently on ebay. Why do you judge w/out knowing any facts? makepoint.gif

CGG does not usually command the same premiums that CGC does, that is a fact. It's also a fact that CGG has only been in business for 1 year and has a long ways to catch up to the market penetration that CGC has made. CGC has been all by themselves for over 5 years. In another 3 or 4 years, CGG may make some inroads into the CGC monopoly. And if not CGG, then it will be another company. I guess I can't expect much openmindedness on a CGC forum thread though. confused-smiley-013.gif

I sold a Lois Lane #93 CGG 9.6 for 7X NM guide recently on ebay. Why do you judge w/out knowing any facts? makepoint.gif

CGG does not usually command the same premiums that CGC does, that is a fact. It's also a fact that CGG has only been in business for 1 year and has a long ways to catch up to the market penetration that CGC has made. CGC has been all by themselves for over 5 years. In another 3 or 4 years, CGG may make some inroads into the CGC monopoly. And if not CGG, then it will be another company. I guess I can't expect much openmindedness on a CGC forum thread though. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think you'll find some openmindedness here. wink.gif

Right now I see CGG like I see the general store near where I live. It's good for some things, but I still do most of my shopping at the supermarket in town. wink.gif

CGG does not usually command the same premiums that CGC does, that is a fact. It's also a fact that CGG has only been in business for 1 year and has a long ways to catch up to the market penetration that CGC has made. CGC has been all by themselves for over 5 years. In another 3 or 4 years, CGG may make some inroads into the CGC monopoly. And if not CGG, then it will be another company. I guess I can't expect much openmindedness on a CGC forum thread though.

While I realize that there may be exceptions from time to time, CGC slabbed books consistently sell for higher multiples than CGG slabbed books. I did not judge without knowing facts...in fact you agreed with me on that point in your post. I will make no predictions on whether CGG will be as successful as CGC in the future market, but my post is based on performance of sales in the past and present. To speculate on the future prospects of CGG would be quite foolish of me, as I have no knowledge of their operation or plans for future development.

Congratulations on your excellent sale, but let us not make the mistake of believing that one example is indication that CGG slabbed books fetch CGC prices on a consistent basis.

"I think you'll find some openmindedness here.

Right now I see CGG like I see the general store near where I live. It's good for some things, but I still do most of my shopping at the supermarket in town."

I agree with that statement. Every company has to start somewhere. Not everyone always shopped at Wal-Mart. I remember when K-Mart was big. Many companies have their day in the sun, some fade away and some get stronger with each passing year. I think CGC has built up an extremely good reputation thru hard work, objectivity and good customer service. Time will tell if CGG is able to do the same.

I was referring to PARTICULAR statement of yours. Because, guess what, now you have!! laugh.gif

You are absolutely right, before your post...I was not aware of any books that commanded such a premium. I always thought that there would be a few, but never saw one myself. If I had said, "CGG NEVER brings a CGC premium." then I would be judging without knowing facts. What I had said instead was that I never witnessed one myself. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. wink.gif

There are others that have gotten "CGC like" prices but they are few and far between for now at least. I am doing a month by month comparison on a particular day of the month to see how many CGC auctions are being currently on ebay vs. CGG. Right now, the ratio is CRAZY. Like 3000 CGC auctions to about 200 CGG auctions at any one time. If and when that # begins to close, then CGG may start closing the gap on the CGC "pedigree" multiple as well.

"I sold a Lois Lane #93 CGG 9.6 for 7X NM guide recently on ebay. Why do you judge w/out knowing any facts?"

Congrats on your sale...I think this example may be an anomaly that can be explained away rather than the norm.

1) You have a great reputation for selling high grade books slabbed. You are a powerseller which factors in some trust and in turn equates into higher bids risked.

2) Lois Lane 93 is not a key book which generates the amount of attention from the market which would make it a high risk book for restoration.

3) It is a general assumption that CGG can spot a high grade as well as most other decent graders. So if they call this book a 9.6, it may actually be or close enough to worth risking a high bid.

4) I've butted heads on some Lois Lanes and a certain bunch of guys are hardcore and show up on all "NM" Lois Lanes - same guys I have to try to outbid on LL 70's and LL71's foreheadslap.gif

a corrollary "experiment" would be if your CGG Lois buyer submitted it to CGC and I'd be interested to see if it came back as a CGC 9.6 and also what it would sell for the 2nd time around with comparable listing environments, i.e. format eye appeal, hype, etc..

Also what about your bid history on this book? was it two or three "diehard" bidders driving it up ? I think I could drag this scenario over into the 30 cent vairant realm. If a 30 cent variant Rawhide Kid 133/134 was in a CGG case, I would care less, it is still a variant I needed and willing to pay sick money for. So the label on the holder is lrrelevant when considering what the book actually is and what it means to the bidders to have it.

The Lois 93 is a key but it's barely a blip on the semi-key radar. (Wonder Woman cover and story)

I think there were 2 bidders that were bidding that book up.

And I agree with you about the variants. Man, if I saw a JIM 89 in 9.4, I wouldn't care what holder it was in, I'd be bidding it up too!

In my last submission to CGG, I submitted 24 books. Of those, 17 came back the same grade as mine, 3 came back lower and 4 came back higher. That's similar to the ratio that I get when I submit to CGC, for what it's worth. (which I know doesn't really prove or mean anything)

Like 3000 CGC auctions to about 200 CGG auctions at any one time. If and when that # begins to close, then CGG may start closing the gap on the CGC "pedigree" multiple as well.

To use your own words....Why do you judge w/out knowing any facts?

I'd like to know where you got your above figures. When I do a title search on CGG books, da number is never even close to 200 CGG auctions at any one time. I just did a title search on eBay and it's currently at 2,951 CGC books compared to only 51 CGG books. If you want da search to be even less accurate than just a title search, then a search on titles and descriptions reveals 9,082 CGC books and only 177 CGG books.

The fact is dat CGC books CONSISTENTLY get better multiples of guide than CGG books. Who cares about da occasional fluke sale...and you have to wonder how much more you might have received for da book if it had been graded by CGC instead. You might save a few dollars initially by having CGG grade your books....but you might as well fush dat savings and a whole lot more down da toilet when you go to sell them. thumbsup2.gif