• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reholder Fee
2 2

40 posts in this topic

I wanted to know what is involved in having a book reholder'ed. Its not really a big issue (I'm just really picky :)) but I recently bought a nice silver age book, graded 9.8, and it has the old style CGC case.

What I wanted to know is if I submitted the book for reholder'ing so that I get the new case, do I run the risk of having it re-evaluated and possibly having the book come back with a lower grade?

K.

• Administrator

The case and comic will be inspected for damage, but the book will not be reconsidered for grading unless damage has occurred. (for example, if the book is dropped and the case shatters in one corner it is possible that the corner of the book could have suffered damage, so that is what is checked for) If this is the case we would contact you.

Will CGC ever consider doing "bulk rates" for reholdering books. (shrug)

I will be sending another batch of 50-75 books in to be reholdered. Between the $11.00 a piece reholdering fee and insuring all the books, which a good portion being over $1,000 and some over $7,000......it gets to be real pricey endeavor, one which I honestly never look forward to.

I'm trying to preserve (90% of the books I reholder I have not intention on selling for many years) my books for my kids or others kids. I am going on your guideline of reholdering them every 7+ years. I just feel a "bulk rate" would be a nice option to make it more affordable for collectors and in the long run, better for preserving what makes our hobby. 2c

Sincerely,

Eric

• Administrator

If the comic is completely removed from the outer casing then it must be resubmitted for grading even if the inner well has not been breached.

If I submit a book for reholdering, but I want it to be inspected for a possible upgrade, or even for signs of a pedigree, do i submit it for regrading and not reholdering?

• Administrator

You would submit the book for a "Review" and specify what the book is being reviewed for (grade, page quality, pedigree, etc.). This service is normally charged as one tier below the declared value of the book.

You would submit the book for a "Review" and specify what the book is being reviewed for (grade, page quality, pedigree, etc.). This service is normally charged as one tier below the declared value of the book.

Gemma

Am I understanding this correctly -

If I submit a CGC certified book for review for grade and PQ that would normally have to be submitted on the express tier because of the value, then I would most likely be charged a standard submission fee?

Also - if there if this case is unopened and undamaged, then is there any possibility it would come back a lower grade/PQ with the review?

Thanks

Unless I am not seeing where, "Review" is not one of the choices on the on-line or handwritten form. So I assume I would have to write it in?

Also based on what you stated, I'm not completely sure how to calculate the charges, since some of the tiers are based on turn-around time not value.

If I paid by credit card could I just have CGC asses the fee?

Bob

• Administrator

Yes, you would need to write in "Review" in the "Other" field on the PDF or paper submission form. If you are using the step-by-step online form you just want to pick the tier that would be appropriate for the value of your comic and then write Review on the invoice near the Service Type.

All of our services are based on value, so you want to use the "Maximum Value" column on the site to determine which tier is appropriate. Reviews do not have a specified turnaround time, so the turnaround is not applicable.

If you supply a credit card, which is preferred, CGC will assess the fee once the review has been performed. In some cases there is no change to the comic and the charge would just be for a ReHolder, so it is easiest if you provide this method of payment.

What if I have a book re-holdered and the book itself was damaged inside the inner well for who knows what reason. Will the book have a different grade than what it was graded or will it stay the same? The CGC casing inner and outer wells have been left untampered and have no cracks or other damages.

• Administrator

If a comic is sent in for ReHoldering and damage is discovered inside the case the submitter would be contacted and the book would be regraded. Graded comics can still become damaged from mishandling and should be treated/shipped with care similar to ungraded comics.

On the submissions page the ** for ReHolder states "Mail-in submissions only". I take this to assume I can not turn in a book for ReHolder at a convention CGC is taking books at?