• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wrightson

17 posts in this topic

Does he ever go to conventions? Or does he have a rep? I'd love to see about getting something from him, but I bet it'd cost a mint.

Great Idea....

Click Here.

Man, it's not really horribly expensive is it?

Bernie is always at cons (I saw him in Baltimore, Mid Ohio and a few others last year) and he's nice to talk to and easy going. Not overly expensive, considering he is one of the greatest bronze age artists of all time, and usually there is not a very long line around him.

Not overly expensive, considering he is one of the greatest bronze age artists of all time, and usually there is not a very long line around him.

Roy... it is just so wrong in relation to how long the lines are for artists who couldn't shine his shoes.

But I guess it just reminds me that at the late 60s early 70s NYC shows, you could always find Roy Krenkel sitting by himself with his art on the table and almost never were there more than 2 people standing in front. Most of the time you could walk right up..

old is forgotten, new was just last week.

Many years ago (before Wizard Chicago) I was at the Chicago Con when it was held at the O'hare Ramada. I was passing some rooms when I noticed Mart Nodell sitting all by himself. I went in and was slobbering over all these nice sketches he had strewn on the table. I believe his wife was there too. I had quite a long conversation with him. I purchased a nice sketch which he personalized for me and dated. I felt bad leaving as no on else was there. You could tell he really enjoyed talking comics. That sketch proudly hangs on my wall today.

DRX

Not overly expensive, considering he is one of the greatest bronze age artists of all time, and usually there is not a very long line around him.

Roy... it is just so wrong in relation to how long the lines are for artists who couldn't shine his shoes.

I so agree with you. One of the cornerstone artists of the hobby throughout the 1970's. Whenever we see him and his wife they have lots of time to talk.

Another man that I found always sitting alone was Carmine Infantino. I mean, NOBODY at the table. The guy was such a voluminous and important creator, and he sits there alone, just staring at the crowd at cons.

It just boggles the mind.

I didn't grow up reading or collecting GA creators, but I respect them for what they did...whether Simon or Feldstein or whoever, I have a deep reverence for these guys for the foundation that they built.

A real shame that many people do not recognize these guys for the giants that they are.

I so agree with you. One of the cornerstone artists of the hobby throughout the 1970's. Whenever we see him and his wife they have lots of time to talk.

Another man that I found always sitting alone was Carmine Infantino. I mean, NOBODY at the table. The guy was such a voluminous and important creator, and he sits there alone, just staring at the crowd at cons.

I didn't grow up reading or collecting GA creators, but I respect them for what they did...whether Simon or Feldstein or whoever, I have a deep reverence for these guys for the foundation that they built.

A real shame that many people do not recognize these guys for the giants that they are.

No doubt. Last year in NY I was going to the convention mostly to meet Infantino. I had prepped myself to wait in line forever, but there was no one there. I just walked right up to him with no wait at all. Meanwhile, guys I'd never heard of were already turning away commissions as they were full up for the entire weekend.

But I guess it just reminds me that at the late 60s early 70s NYC shows, you could always find Roy Krenkel sitting by himself with his art on the table and almost never were there more than 2 people standing in front. Most of the time you could walk right up..

old is forgotten, new was just last week.

Bernie's page prices look very reasonably priced. I'll have to remember to keep his site on rotation when looking for the next purchase.

Anyone know what his newer variant cover OA sold/sells for?

One thing the "newer" guys have going for them is alot are consolidated on dealer websites. The metaphor of OA as a drug is used a lot. And it seems when collectors are looking for that next fix they go to the quickest easiest place, which is CAF or any of the advertisers on the left column. And with alot of great art to choose from(depending on your taste, of course), "out of sight, out of mind" is the philosophy that wins out.

I saw Bernie at ComicPalooza in Houston last weekend. He and Liz were fun to visit with. He had art for sale including a nice pen/ink Swamp Thing rising and many panel pages.

Nice folk. Highly recommended for a little conversation.

Man, it's not really horribly expensive is it?

Bernie is always at cons (I saw him in Baltimore, Mid Ohio and a few others last year) and he's nice to talk to and easy going. Not overly expensive, considering he is one of the greatest bronze age artists of all time, and usually there is not a very long line around him.

I had an opportunity to talk with Bernie at Terry's Yorba Linda show last year,very nice guy.I'm a huge fan of Swamp Thing,so I had a chance to ask him about certain issues.He was as nice as he could be. (thumbs u

I remember a great show in White Plains NY years ago that had Infantino, Murphy Anderson, Chuck Cuidera and many other of the old timers. It was, from a guest standpoint, one of the best shows I've ever been to. I emailed the promoter after the show telling him how awesome it was to have such great pillars of the comic history in one place. He responded that financially the show was a bomb. He lost money and would probably never be able to do it again. To my knowledge, he never did. Such a shame.

All these legends in one place and very few people showed up. :(

I remember a great show in White Plains NY years ago that had Infantino, Murphy Anderson, Chuck Cuidera and many other of the old timers.

That was a terrific show for the fans that showed up. If I remember correctly it was the first show John Buscema had done in 20 years. There was some great artwork at that show too. Great experience all around.