• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question about Adventure 247 for the hardcore Legion fan

4 posts in this topic

I'm reading the DC Archive containing the early Legion stories and am taken aback when I read a panel towards the end of the story where several previously unseen members of The Super Hero Club congradulate SuperBoy for being the newest member. Not only don't I recall this panel from the original story, but Braniac Five is featured in it, yet is introduced as an applicant several Legion stories later. Is this panel in the original Adventure 247 or did it somehow get added later? The art even looks a bit strange. I know early Legion stories are continuty challenged, but this seems very strange.

Anyone have a raw 247 they care to examine? Mine is slabbed, and brittle to boot.

There is no Brainian 5 in the original ADV 247!

In a reprint sometime down the road, a random legionnaire in that panel was colored green, to indicate that "Brainy was there". This was obviously followed by other reprints with the same recoloring/retcon and at this point it is pretty much taken for granted.

I put together a page on my Legion blog a year or so ago showing the coloring changes in the original vs reprints of Adventure 247. See selected panels from Adventure 247, Superman Annual 6, Legion Archives 1, and Silver Age Classics at http://adventure247.blogspot.com/2009/02/mystery-legionnaires.html

In the original, one character is Caucasian with a purple jumpsuit. In the next reprint (Superman Annual 6), that same character was recolored to look like Colossal Boy (and the 3 founders were recolored to look like their regular Silver Age costumes). In the Legion Archives #1, that figure is now green skinned with a purple jumpsuit, resembling Brainiac 5, and that color scheme has been kept since.