• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

69 posts in this topic

Well that sketch was almost a year old....

So that makes it alright to black out/white out a personalization and sell on Ebay or whatever?

No Mr. Newkingintown what makes it alright is that we live in the U.S.A. free trade. Anyone can sell anything within reason, as long as it does not violate the law.

What if YOU had the sketch and YOU need an extra $250 to pay your bills...

Well....All I am saying is that the artist wanted to personalize it for a reason....to take that out, white out, black out, is changing what he wanted....breaking a trust agreement.. .were any laws broken, of course not...is it unethical...yes, without a doubt...now other people will suffer.

And to respond to your question, if I needed 250, I would not white out or black out a personalized sketch, my preference.

The reason why Rosa personalizes the sketches is so that they wont end up on e-bay later. Plain and simple. This person just didn't care for the personalization, and it was never intended to be sold. However, like stated, something came up, and that person had to sell it.

And now, this person, who I'm defending because that's what friends do, is getting berated by some of those who've bought books from this person. And all of the sudden, because a "free" sketch sold from 250% of it's value, this person is now a bad person because of the personalization. Now "everyone" wants a sketch on their cover from Don Rosa.

If anything, that is just two-face.

Also the sketch and the white/black out was done the same day at the same convetion

The reason why Rosa personalizes the sketches is so that they wont end up on e-bay later. Plain and simple. This person just didn't care for the personalization, and it was never intended to be sold. However, like stated, something came up, and that person had to sell it.

And now, this person, who I'm defending because that's what friends do, is getting berated by some of those who've bought books from this person. And all of the sudden, because a "free" sketch sold from 250% of it's value, this person is now a bad person because of the personalization. Now "everyone" wants a sketch on their cover from Don Rosa.

Also the sketch and the white/black out was done the same day at the same convetion

Thats all fine...I dont recall anyone calling this "person" bad...I just feel that its a bit of a let down for others who wanted a blank cover sketch from Mr. Rosa. The opinions that are being expressed here are very plain and simple as well. Its never a great idea to mess around with a personalization... its also not a great idea to do something you know the artist will not approve of. That is all people are saying....and again, just because it was done the same day at a can...does that make it right?

Just common edict that was not followed and now people will suffer....

i applogize for sayin it a disrespect to rosa, i didn't know the facts.....but i also have to ask why was it so important to remove the personalization, it's about the sketch not the "To: xyz" and the sig (well the sig is important)

me i would buy a sketch personalized to another, bc i'm buying it for the sketch and that's about it.....but that's me

List of people that wanted a Don Rosa sketch prior to the e-bay sales:

Again...I don't mean to beat a dead horse...but how does the demand of something make what was done alright? An artist is upset....that's what people are talking about in this thread...I have heard the argument that someone "Should/Should Not" have sold this "altered" sketch....I think people simply want to voice their concerns over what occurred....I don't see a need to defend or attack someone...whats done is done...what can change is what will happen in the future.

i applogize for sayin it a disrespect to rosa, i didn't know the facts.....but i also have to ask why was it so important to remove the personalization, it's about the sketch not the "To: xyz" and the sig (well the sig is important)

me i would buy a sketch personalized to another, bc i'm buying it for the sketch and that's about it.....but that's me

I think you are right in thinking that...I mean...the big issue is altering the personalization. I am sure Don Rosa has seen his personalized sketches for sale elsewhere...but he still does them. When someone black out/white outs something like that, its like changing the artist sig or the art. I am also sure Mr. Rosa was upset because someone buying that would have no idea what was changed...again...not keeping the artists wishes....

List of people that wanted a Don Rosa sketch prior to the e-bay sales:

Halftime of Duke game...

I haven't read this entire thread, but I have to comment...

I watched as MedicAR helped Don set up his booth, I have seen pictures of their child's room with Rosa Prints on the walls, saw his wife buy another stack of Rosa prints. When Doug asked him to do a sketch on a blank cover, he said he could not. Does anyone realize how bad I felt as the witness for someone who loves Don Rosa and his art? I felt really bad for Doug. Don discussed it with me as he felt I was a representative of CGC at the show. It was embarrasing and something that was not right. Mistakes happen but in this case, the artist did personalize the book, and it was blacked out (from what Don told me, he even contacted the colorist to complain, making another creator now probably leary of CGC).

Remember, we might not be CGC employees, but those of us that are granted the privlege of being CAWs, should understand that creators see us more than they see CGC. We continue to be the face of the program, but the more we act ridiculous with them, chase them down in aisles, demand of them more than is expected, we are hurting those we consider friends and fellow collectors, like Doug.

I am friends with the artist who had his commission whited out and they are not and were not happy with it, I know, I got a phone call about it. How does that benefit anyone in the future? It places mistrust amongst us and having to hear the story and trying to apologize for something someone else did.

It is getting to be ridiculous seeing how creators are treated at this point by several people. A little common courtesy goes a long way.

This weekend at WonderCon, I had wonderful conversations with people like EVS, Jonathan Ross and others, promoting the program, offering to help them (in which case I did so they can have their own SS copies of books) and just being professional.

This is not an attack towards the person who had the run in with Don, but more of a state of the union right now.

It is sad to see the people who work for CGC categorized by some creators when truly they have never had contact with the real employees of CGC. All of whom are very courteous and respectful towards creators.

Back to the game...

I don't want a Don Rosa sketch on a sketch cover or otherwise.

I simply don't understand why someone who makes a living by drawing wouldn't be interested in exploring all the avenues that are now available to him or her in order to make a profit and have more people appreciating their art.

finally someone that makes sense.

That's why most artist charge $50 for head sketches and $100 for full figured bodies.

I'm not agreeing with you nor am I condoning the action you are defending. I was merely making a statement for discussion. You don't want my opinion on the incident and really, I have no desire to discuss it.

JJ, even though you quoted my post (who knows why), I must agree with you at some level out of respect.

But the fact is that it happened, whether there were intentions to sell the book or not, it did happen. Now the act is done, and maybe the seller didn't think of the outcome it would have on the CGC community.

if I were to sit here and say that I would never sell a sketch, it would be a bold fat lie.

Does it tarnish the role that CGC plays in creators signatures, absolutely. As a collector the last thing I want is to be turned away because of someone else's doing. Withing the last year CGC has had to do some "cleaning" because of similar issues.

CGC and artists/creators have a tight knit community, more than anyone outside of the CGC realm would know. Bad apples = bad treatment.

That's why most artist charge $50 for head sketches and $100 for full figured bodies.

I'm not agreeing with you nor am I condoning the action you are defending. I was merely making a statement for discussion. You don't want my opinion on the incident and really, I have no desire to discuss it.

In that case I could care less.

In that case I could care less.

You could? Sweet, mission accomplished. However, I could not care less.

JJ, even though you quoted my post (who knows why), I must agree with you at some level out of respect.

But the fact is that it happened, whether there were intentions to sell the book or not, it did happen. Now the act is done, and maybe the seller didn't think of the outcome it would have on the CGC community.

if I were to sit here and say that I would never sell a sketch, it would be a bold fat lie.

Does it tarnish the role that CGC plays in creators signatures, absolutely. As a collector the last thing I want is to be turned away because of someone else's doing. Withing the last year CGC has had to do some "cleaning" because of similar issues.

CGC and artists/creators have a tight knit community, more than anyone outside of the CGC realm would know. Bad apples = bad treatment.

it's the pattern JJ is talking about, no one is saying don't sell a sketch. I bet Mr. Rosa wouldn't even have been mad if the sketch was sold personalized, it's the fact it was colored over. Second time this has been done by the person in question. I'm not a huge Don Rosa fan but I would be pissed if the other guy quit doing sketches. He has already moved to sketch cards for the most part.