• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Working with Creators and Signings
1 1

92 posts in this topic

Just want to throw this out there...

I watched how random people interacted with creators, editors etc this weekend and really tried to see how it works best and how it does not...

(none of these events are actual, just made up to show what to do or what not to do)

My advice (and trust me, plenty of you think you do this, but you don't) is this...

Think before you act, does it seem reasonable to you, 10 signatures and 4 head sketches while they are eating, is that fair. Seems like that might be a situation where you should walk away?

Follow the rules of the signing, if they say 10, try to stick with 10 or stay close to it. If you know the creator sometimes it is not a concern, but the majority of us are not chummy with most to that point. There is often another signing, so get the rest done there!

Don't ask them to switch pens for every other book. It is unrealistic, and yes I know that many of you want a book signed in gold, then silver, then the next 3 black. Cmon, think how much time that takes. Most if not all creators have multiple sharpies and know what to do. They have signed more of their books than any of us lol. Of course, if they are using a ball point pen, feel free to politely ask them to use a sharpie you have, most will agree with no problem. Leave the sharpie with them, it might help someone else out later in line...

Do not harrass the creator when they are walking down an aisle, or talking to a friend. Plain and simple, it is embarrasing and this is their time to talk to friends, not get asked to sign books.

Stop chasing after people when they are not signing at a booth or signing. It just reeks of madness and being desperate. Remember, many people see this, and not just the creator but other creators and other fans of comics. It doesn't look good.

Talk to the person in charge of the booth if you have a questions about signings or limits. They often know more than a board posted somewhere, and even if the information is not entirely 100% accurate, they have no reason to lie to you, they want people to be at signings.

Be polite and professional when they sign and again, thank them again and again.

If they recognize you as a 'witness' for CGC (they probably do not understand the CAW designation), again, thank them for their time and ask if there is anything you can do for them (and if they say there is, bring it to the attention to CGC).

If you act professional, respect the creators time and are very thankful for what they do, it goes a long way. Seems simple, but really I watched a lot of people from all walks of life and a smile and being realistic to the creator seems to go miles in the right direction...

one last one...

no means no.

Just a vent and an FYI

more:

Have your books ready to go. Take them out of the bags and in a stack or if you are getting them SSd, have them ready. to. go.

Nothing more irritating for a creator then to have to wait for someone to shuffle through a box or a bag and sort out things. If you put the wrong book down with the rest, don't worry, most will just put it off to the side or tell you they did not work on it. Apologize and don't worry about it, mistakes happen...

Be prepared and good things will happen...

Don't bite off more than you can chew:

Not sure if a creator is coming or a celeb is signing? Why not bring along 1 book just in case. Not the entire run of a TV show comic or Daredevil 1-12 for Kevin Smith.

Also, the #1 thing to irritate EVERYONE in line. Bring 50 or 60 books to a creator so he can sign everyone of them and the people behind you with 2 books each have to sit and wait as that person has to reorganize or blow on each one or put them back in the bag.

Trust me...

Be happy to get 10 or less signed and if you are keeping them raw, maybe less than that...

Even if the experience with a creator isn't the greatest, it would be ideal if you weren't the one escalating the issue. You aren't going to be able to change their mind, but you can at least be the better person and thank them and walk away. And yes, issues do arise sometimes...

Have some extra cash and what seems like a lot of books (20 or 30)?, buy a print or a sketchbook RIGHT AWAY, then proceed to ask them to sign your books. Believe it or not (and I work with some high profile guys) most artists make more money at home drawing then they do coming to a show. They do it to meet fans, sell some art maybe or sell some prints, sketchbooks, do a few commissions etc.

and this was not necessarily aimed at people that are common fans, trust me, those might be the most sane people I have ever met.

Many people that attend shows and just want to meet someone and get some books signed are so awesome, they just want to say hi, get some things signed and are most of the time beyond polite.

This was aimed at those of us that go from show to show to show and need to rethink sometimes how we handle creators and people that work behind the booths...

It's the sort of thing that shouldn't need to be said, but when put eloquently is well said.

I'd like to add that even if the experience with a creator isn't the greatest, it would be ideal if you weren't the one escalating the issue.

It's the sort of thing that shouldn't need to be said, but when put eloquently is well said.

I'd like to add that even if the experience with a creator isn't the greatest, it would be ideal if you weren't the one escalating the issue.

noted Raph, that is a good one to add..

I have found that is good to know more about the creator than just their latest project. Take the time to read the links on the show's website. Listen to other creators tell stories and try to remember something fun or interesting about the person you're about to approach. I had a dealer mention that one of the creators at a show was also a musician. When I mentioed it to that creator his eyes lit up! There is a lot more to this than getting a signature or sketch. I view it as building relationships. I may never deal with these people again or I may be involved in a charity, show, movie or whatever someday where having a good relationship goes a very long way. Also it works the other way. Unlikely as it may seem that creator might need something from me someday as well.

Here is my tip if you have too many books to handle yourself........and don't want to look like an Azz bucket.

"Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song,

And I'll try not to sing out of key.

Oh I get by with a little help from my friends,

Mmm,I get high with a little help from my friends,

Mmm, I'm gonna try with a little help from my friends."

-Beatles

Here is my tip if you have too many books to handle yourself........and don't want to look like an Azz bucket.

"Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song,

And I'll try not to sing out of key.

Oh I get by with a little help from my friends,

Mmm,I get high with a little help from my friends,

Mmm, I'm gonna try with a little help from my friends."

-Beatles

I always thought Joe Cocker wrote that song

I will have to agree with JJ. Also, it helps if you have a general knowledge of the creator, but please, save your lifestory. I just hate it when people need to have a 20 minute conversation about what the creator was thinking when he/she worked on an issue.

Awesome!

Then Check your facts before you correct me! I am 26 this all happened before my time lol

I wasn't correcting you. I was stating my surprise at who wrote it.

I guess I could have phrased it better