• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Working with Creators and Signings
1 1

92 posts in this topic

I will have to agree with JJ. Also, it helps if you have a general knowledge of the creator, but please, save your lifestory. I just hate it when people need to have a 20 minute conversation about what the creator was thinking when he/she worked on an issue.

I agree with this completely... with the exception of when the creator solicits that type response. Every con that I've been to and taken books to Whilce Portacio, he will specifically ask what I think about the new releases and if I'm liking the direction.

All this time I didn't know you were allowed to "handle" a creator at all. :o

Maybe that's how you guys get all those great sigs from them. hm

I will have to agree with JJ. Also, it helps if you have a general knowledge of the creator, but please, save your lifestory. I just hate it when people need to have a 20 minute conversation about what the creator was thinking when he/she worked on an issue.

I agree with this completely... with the exception of when the creator solicits that type response. Every con that I've been to and taken books to Whilce Portacio, he will specifically ask what I think about the new releases and if I'm liking the direction.

In that case, if the conversation is solicited by the creator, then of course I would talk back.. and I always say thank you, shake hands and smile. :)

I could handle Amanda Conner all day long... Not sure I could handle Jimmy Palmiotti pummeling me into a bloody pulp afterwords, though... :)

In all seriousness, though, the key is to treat the creator with respect (even if they don't treat you with respect) and courtesy. I always think of what I'd like to talk about, in advance, if that opportunity arises. If I don't say much and they want to talk, I usually say something to the effect of, "That sounds great, and I would love to discuss that further, but there is a line of 50 people behind me dying to meet you, and I don't want to hold them up." Usually, the creator understands and I can go on my way.

Plus, if you give a little, you'll be amazed what you might receive down the road. This past weekend, I learned that the value of a sharpie marker can be more than a few bucks if presented in the right way. (JJ understands this one) :) I'm always listening and looking for ways to show my appreciation to the creator for taking the time to sign and or sketch on my books or my customer's books. Thankfully, going to shows year after year, you pick up on a few things and get to become friendlier with certain people.

In the end, I'm looking to build relationships and keep the creator involved (and yes, I am not afraid to financially motivate, or motivate through bartering) in the process.

I don't care how well they draw or write... I ain't handling any creators...

What if they bought you dinner first?

I could handle Amanda Conner all day long... Not sure I could handle Jimmy Palmiotti pummeling me into a bloody pulp afterwords, though... :)

In all seriousness, though, the key is to treat the creator with respect (even if they don't treat you with respect) and courtesy. I always think of what I'd like to talk about, in advance, if that opportunity arises. If I don't say much and they want to talk, I usually say something to the effect of, "That sounds great, and I would love to discuss that further, but there is a line of 50 people behind me dying to meet you, and I don't want to hold them up." Usually, the creator understands and I can go on my way.

Plus, if you give a little, you'll be amazed what you might receive down the road. This past weekend, I learned that the value of a sharpie marker can be more than a few bucks if presented in the right way. (JJ understands this one) :) I'm always listening and looking for ways to show my appreciation to the creator for taking the time to sign and or sketch on my books or my customer's books. Thankfully, going to shows year after year, you pick up on a few things and get to become friendlier with certain people.

In the end, I'm looking to build relationships and keep the creator involved (and yes, I am not afraid to financially motivate, or motivate through bartering) in the process.

and let me just say this publically...

you want to know how to interact with creators and how to be sociable and be a model signature getter...follow Joel around. I praised him all weekend. A class act from start to finish.

And yes, Dave Johnson wanted to sign some books for Joel and he had no sharpies. I happened to have a package of them for Geoff Johns (running gag between us) and handed Dave a red one. He thanked me and I told him, please keep it and I would be happy to get him a black sharpie at the booth. Not thinking anything of it...he offered me a $20 print for free. I couldn't believe it, but he was insistent and another great relationship started.

Was very cool and made me an even bigger Dave Johnson fan right there...

And I think this is worthwhile to include as well when working with the people who are getting many of us those signatures from our fellow collectors:

1. No one HAS to get you a signature on your book. If one of the facilitators here offers to square you away when you ask, then show them some appreciation. A few kudos can go a long way.

2. Ever sit in a line for a popular creator? Fun times, huh? So try doing that ALL. DAY. LONG. While these guys are both pros and fellow collectors, respect the fact they undergo a LOT of personal wear and tear to make sure we're getting what we asked them to try and do for us. And if for some reason they can't, understand the distinct possibility there were outside factors outside of the witnesses control that might have prevented them from being able to seal the deal for you. They WANT to help you out and can feel disappointed if they feel like they somehow let you down--so again, refer back to Rule 1.

3. Always offer to pay up front and include a little extra if need be. I've rarely had a witness take me up on the offer but I do try to cover their bases for them so they don't get stuck paying for more. If they do, you make good on it cause again... Rule 1.

It's simple stuff but it's made some good friends for me here on the boards. A little respect and appreciation go a long way.

Thanks again guys--my collection is that much cooler for all the leg work all of you have put into it!

(thumbs u

Because i follow Geoff Johns on Twitter, I know that hes a HUGE fan of 7-11 so at a recent signing he was attending when I got a chance to talk to him and get some books signed I gave him a $20 7-11 gift card and he thought it was hilarious and loved the gesture :angel:

I think this thread lack the John Byrne comments. They should be added, escpecially the ones about tryin to be clever with the artists and asking the best possible question ever or the thing Mr Byrne says about showering hehehehe

Because i follow Geoff Johns on Twitter, I know that hes a HUGE fan of 7-11 so at a recent signing he was attending when I got a chance to talk to him and get some books signed I gave him a $20 7-11 gift card and he thought it was hilarious and loved the gesture :angel:

Did he say, "Oh, thank heaven..."

and let me just say this publically...

you want to know how to interact with creators and how to be sociable and be a model signature getter...follow Joel around. I praised him all weekend. A class act from start to finish.

Right back at ya, JJ! Mr. Jespersen was great with the creators as well, always trying to inform them about CGC and how they could benefit or receive slabs of their own comics, with a natural comforting ease to make that creator feel special and not rushed. JJ is definitely an asset to our community. :)

he said, "Is that 7-11 gift card for me? You follow me on twitter dont you?"

:angel:

I go to Town & Country to get my drinks :cool:

I go to Town & Country to get my drinks :cool:

I guess everyone isn't as familiar with 7-11's theme song as I am...

"Oh Thank Heaven for 7-11"