• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Facebook note from Bill Sienkiewicz: Batman Story missing art

11 posts in this topic

Just spotted this on Bill's Facebook page - thought would be useful to share. I'd like to see this story too...

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=114207288608345&id=100000802978195&ref=mf

Hello Everyone!

Thanks for taking the time to read this note-- but I need a BIG favor from fans and folks-Anyone-- who purchased specific pieces of Batman art several years ago from my previous original art dealer, Mitch Itkowitz/ Graphic Collectibles.

It was art for the first 23(?) page part of a trilogy written by David Lapham. I 'm hazy on the title since it's been several years,I believe it was called ”City of Crime“ .

The story was eventually published with a different artist, for reasons known only to DC Comics editorial at the time. For a time, low rez .jpegs of the pages popped up on a few sites showing people what might have been-- but have since disappeared.

So-

Flash to the present. The great news is DC Comics wants to publish the story with a new -script- an alternate version , if you will---I was proud of the work i did on the artwork, and would love to have it see print. I know readers and fans over the years have also expressed great interest--

The problem is that DC no longer has any of the high rez files of the pages-nor do I , unfortunately, as i lost five years' worth of all artwork courtesy of an hellacious backup drive's meltdown.

Nor does my previous art dealer, Mitch Itkowitz,/ Graphiic Collectibles have any of the high rez files to this Batman story. He sold every single page, so he says, to the best of my recollection.- but for some reason, he kept no record of the purchasers.

My dear friend and colleague at DC Comics, the phenomenally talented Mark Chiarello, and the equally phenomenal Dan Didio, have expressed great desire to publish this story NOW/ ASAP-- come Hell or High water.

How cool is that?

Which brings me to my point.

The favor i ask to all of you who read this post:

Anyone who purchased ANY of the artwork for this story (and i worked on many additional pieces for it, variations on a theme--so excited was I by the chance to run with the visuals. Some pages are standard sized originals( 11X17 in) others are huge- 20x30 in- and various sizes in between.-) Anyone who bought any Batman art from Graphic Collectibles- or from another source who may have resold it--would you- and i implore you for my unabashed everlasting appreciation-- be so kind as to contact me here on FB- and provide me with a 400 dpi grayscale FULL SIZE scan of any artwork you might have from this story?

My Art Dealer, the fantastic Sal Abbinanti- never got any of the pages from Gr.Collectibles, since everything from the story had been sold prior to my switching home to Sal.

Let me be clear- i don't want the originals back- Far from it-if you bought any, bless you- all i ask is a scan-- to allow this story to see print in a special format--and for all of you who comply, I'm in discussion with DC Comics for me to offer some sort of special incentive -to everyone who comes forward--or something along those lines-as a way of showing appreciation for your help in this matter- just what, will be determined--

Thanks to EVERYONE in advance- from Mark Chiarello, Dan Didio, DC Comics, and yours truly.

Anyone with questions or comments on this matter, please don't hesitate to contact. me-- ALL correspondence will be kept in strictest confidence, unless you have no qualms about people knowing how damn swell you are for helping out-;-)

Best,

bill

First let me say that Sienkiewicz is full of and a liar.

I never sold ALL the pages and I never sent any art to his current dealer. I sent all 14 boxes of art to Sienkiewicz, not to his agent, as he alludes. Knowing that his apartment looked like an episode of Hoarders, it is very likely in his apartment.

Mitch I.

I recall to see some art from this book offered at Bill's site. In fact, there are two pages still available there...

http://www.billsienkiewiczart.com/gallery.asp?afs=T&sc=BSDC1&page=1

Here you can see some pages of the book, which is imho one of his finest work on the character...

http://ferrandelgado.blogspot.com/2007/04/varios-originales-impresionantes-de-un.html

when you say "suggesting" Mitch do you mean like this:

(scenario: a dark alley next to a movie theatre. Mitch has left the theatre and is walking past)

#1 - "Hey.. Hey you.. Mitch"

(Neal slides out of the shadows. 2 blurry shadows move around behind him in the dark)

"Yeah you.. Mitch.. I need those stats. I need those stats man. I 'suggest' you get me those scans... DO YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!!!"