• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cap 27 CGC 6.0 sells for double guide!!!!!

18 posts in this topic

....well, virtually. I had my beady eye on this book -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2224181535&category=68&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

....and it stayed around guide until the last minute, and then went crazy. I consider that cover to be my favourite "Cap on a motorcycle" one, but I never thought it could go for so much. Any idea why?

Around a few months ago I won that book (raw) in VG+ for about guide on ebay but the seller reneged. Maybe it's that tough that he preferred not to sell it.................

Timely,

You are so right about 26-28. I would be happy with any one of the three, but I need a 46 first.

Tell us did your Gerber copy of 28 come with all the accessories,manuals and warranties?

Well, the thing is CA #26-28 are all classic Schomburg covers, so they really all should break out. I think #28 is the best of them all. Check out Gerber, that's my copy pictured there!

Timely

I agree, I just checked, and it's a great cover. And the one that features in Gerber (i.e. your copy) looks very sweet. What grade is it, and did you get it CGC'd?

Also, the Gerber guides came out 15 years ago or thereabouts. How long have you been putting together your collection?

Well, the thing is CA #26-28 are all classic Schomburg covers, so they really all should break out. I think #28 is the best of them all. Check out Gerber, that's my copy pictured there!

Timely

I agree, I just checked, and it's a great cover. And the one that features in Gerber (i.e. your copy) looks very sweet. What grade is it, and did you get it CGC'd?

Also, the Gerber guides came out 15 years ago or thereabouts. How long have you been putting together your collection?

That (my) copy is the Calvin Slobodian Copy. It was bought from slobodian in the early 80's by John Verzly (and Gerber shot all of Verzyl's Caps for the PJ). He sold it to my friend Dan Bennett who died a few years ago. His son sold the collection to Rich Evans. Evans sold it to Dwight Fuhro and he sold it to Chris Foss, who CGC'd it and sold it to me last year. It's amazing how I can track a single book like that, all the way back to the 1970's!

I've been collecting Timely's seriously now for about 4 years now. I've had several in the past, but I sold them, some of which I got back, like the Marvel Mystery Comics #89 Mile High copy!

Timely

I agree, Timely. I would also add #29 in there for good measure as well. I've always loved that one. I've seen a bunch of copies of #26 floating around for sale recently, but 27 and 28 are virtually nonexistent out in the marketplace and not for sale in grade. That should tell you they're coveted books. I paid through the nose for my copy of #27 and have never regretted it. I think Metro has a mid-grade #27 for sale. Somebody should jump on it before Vinny and the boys see this auction and jack up the price! insane.gif

Coincidentally, I've been admiring my new Invaders Annual 1 with the first Schomburg cover in 30 years. It rocks too. Is he an artist that is widely collected?

I'd say definitely. That Invaders Annual was quite a coup for Marvel - Schomburg was one of the top G.A. cover artists, easily. When you think of covers such as Suspense 3, Wonder 16, Startling 49, Brick Bradford 6, Human Torch 1-3, Cap 26 -28 and countless other Timelys (not to mention all those Pulp covers) the proof is there.

HIs hallmark was intensity and breathtaking detail (the Timelys) which were very much the opposite of DCs more sedate and simple cover style. But he was equally good with an airbrush for his more impressionist sci-fi covers (e.g. Wonder Comics 13-20).

I've been collecting Timely's seriously now for about 4 years now. I've had several in the past, but I sold them, some of which I got back, like the Marvel Mystery Comics #89 Mile High copy!

Do you taunt Verzyl with this book? "Hey John! Lookee what I got!!"

Alan grin.gif

I've never posted but regularly enjoy perusing through this board as there are many interesting things discussed and much to be learned here. With that in mind I was pretty surprised (I'm not sure I should be flattered since the purchase price was in question) to see my purchase as the subject of a thread.

I hope I didn't overpay. It's very difficult for a small timer like myself to know what to pay for a book like this. Some of the other books I covet (USA 7, All Select 2) seem to go for way over guide when they show up so I figured I'd have to go big for this great cover.

Anyway, the book has arrived and is really attractive so I'm happy. The wife's making me sell some stuff to pay for it so I guess the Silver Age books in my collection will continue to dwindle....

Pete

Quite agree. As mentioned on this very thread, Overstreet often undervalues great covers like this one. Paying a premium makes sense in this case, as you rarely see this book in above average shape. No need for buyers' remorse on this one - Cap is the hottest G.A. title anyway, so you can't go wrong.