• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HULK # 1 CLUB
20 20

3,618 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Pontoon said:

Very nice copy, great color strike, presents terrific. Did you have it pressed? Are the staples rusty at all? Looks better than a 4.0 from here.

The copy is so nice. The real killer was the spine damage. Staples are in tack and clean but the tear in the spine probably pushed a visually 5.0 or better book to a 4.0. I knew going in it was going to be lower than it looks.

Is hulk 1 heating up again?  Or is this just a typical post-holiday price surge ?  A 5.5 at $20k+ with a day to go on Heritage:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/the-incredible-hulk-1-marvel-1962-cgc-fn-55-off-white-to-white-pages/a/121801-11324.s?type=KMrm-comics-criteo-segwindeal-022216

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 1/8/2018 at 1:55 PM, Chillax23 said:

What is a low grade blue label CGC 0.5-1.0 copy going for right now?  What about a restored Purple label in the CGC 0.5-1.0 range?  Trying to figure out if targeting a low grade copy is even a possibility :)

GPA quotes are frond upon by some members but blu 0.5-just under$3000 1.0-little over $4700 low grade purple  not really much recent data to get average

On 1/10/2018 at 2:47 AM, fat11381 said:

GPA quotes are frond upon by some members but blu 0.5-just under$3000 1.0-little over $4700 low grade purple  not really much recent data to get average

And yet every low-grade copy I've seen in the last year that doesn't have a MAJOR defect goes for well over those numbers...

Edited by mathlete

4 hours ago, mathlete said:

And yet every low-grade copy I've seen in the last year that doesn't have a MAJOR defect goes for well over those numbers...

Copy I got missing piece of corner ,saved me about $900-$1000 dollars.probably in 3.5-4.5 if corner not missing,and pressed cleaned

Is this book ever going to have a major increase in price like AF 15 and now ASM 1 seems to be doing? I mean it's rarer, tougher in mid to higher grade due to the dark cover and is obviously a big 1st appearance key. Not as well loved as Spiderman of course, not even close it seems, but still. 

On 1/20/2018 at 2:11 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Is this book ever going to have a major increase in price like AF 15 and now ASM 1 seems to be doing? I mean it's rarer, tougher in mid to higher grade due to the dark cover and is obviously a big 1st appearance key. Not as well loved as Spiderman of course, not even close it seems, but still. 

It had one a few years ago. (shrug) The book nearly doubled in price in 2014.

If books keep increasing at the rate they have been the past few years you can bank on the crash of the hobby.

It's not healthy for anything to increase that quickly.

The book has been steadily rising over time. I'm not sure what anyone else can ask for.

5 hours ago, VintageComics said:

It had one a few years ago. (shrug) The book nearly doubled in price in 2014.

If books keep increasing at the rate they have been the past few years you can bank on the crash of the hobby.

It's not healthy for anything to increase that quickly.

The book has been steadily rising over time. I'm not sure what anyone else can ask for.

It did go up several years ago, but seemed to go through a decline for some reason shortly after. It's definitely been steady for the last couple years though.

1 minute ago, LDarkseid1 said:

but seemed to go through a decline for some reason shortly after.

And Amazing Fantasy #15 did exactly the same thing this year.

That's a normal market pattern when something goes up too high, too quickly.

5 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

And Amazing Fantasy #15 did exactly the same thing this year.

That's a normal market pattern when something goes up too high, too quickly.

Yeah I guess so. I have noticed the decline your talking of with AF15. Not drastic as I remember Hulk 1, and definitely not in the higher grades, but there has been a minor price correction in some grades.

10 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Yeah I guess so. I have noticed the decline your talking of with AF15. Not drastic as I remember Hulk 1, and definitely not in the higher grades, but there has been a minor price correction in some grades.

Hulk #1 did not decline in higher grades, nor did AF #15.

But mid grade copies of AF #15 that were selling north of $50K are now selling south of $40K. Hulk #1 did exactly the same thing.

People over analyze the market too much in the digital age. It happens in every market. The stock market does this all the time with algorithmic buying and selling now.  As soon as they see one copy sell for a strong number, everyone who wants a copy rushes in and throws silly money at a copy before they get too expensive. Then they realize that they're paying a lot for a book and back off and the market corrects.

And this over analyzing is what causes all of the volatility.

In the old days, prices just rose steadily because there was no over analysis.

12 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Hulk #1 did not decline in higher grades, nor did AF #15.

But mid grade copies of AF #15 that were selling north of $50K are now selling south of $40K. Hulk #1 did exactly the same thing.

People over analyze the market too much in the digital age. It happens in every market. The stock market does this all the time with algorithmic buying and selling now.  As soon as they see one copy sell for a strong number, everyone who wants a copy rushes in and throws silly money at a copy before they get too expensive. Then they realize that they're paying a lot for a book and back off and the market corrects.

And this over analyzing is what causes all of the volatility.

In the old days, prices just rose steadily because there was no over analysis.

I guess now is a good time to pick up a lower mid grade copy of AF15. At least at auction.