• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HULK # 1 CLUB
20 20

3,618 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, UncleBEN said:

Seems to me based on the LONG list of books that have been flipped from PLOD to blue they use the exact science of tearing them off unfortunately 

OK, so ... help me out here.  Can you take a guess as to the grade this book would land on if someone could somehow remove all those pieces and glue and color touch and cover reinforcement?  Would the book really be worth more at that severely lowered grade with a blue label?

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

11 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

OK, so ... help me out here.  Can you take a guess as to the grade this book would land on if someone could somehow remove all those pieces and clue and color touch and cover reinforcement?  Would the book really be worth more at that severely lowered grade with a blue label?

That's a tough one , without the book in hand or Heritage high res like scans 

I would wager that top right corner might come off . Along with some of the color touch scraped off along the stress marks of the spine . The cover reinforcement is usually just on the interior staples and could also be where there was color touch .

The biggest factor here would be the tear seals for me to guess a grade .

What does a blue label 6.5/7.0 sell for ?

$35-45K?

I can't imagine this goes for more then 20-25 K but I could be way off base , contingent on what the bidders goal is 

Of course there have been many examples where this has backfired and the flipper went upside down , lately it was an AF15 that was hideously done .

Personally I wouldn't touch this book but clearly this "restoration removal"  is becoming a big problem in the hobby .

At least it's not in a hulk character label wrongly slabbed .  😳

5 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

I guess I'll have to see it to believe it.  When I imagine added pieces being taken back out and glue being removed, I am thinking more like 4.0-5.0.  But we're all just using our imagination.

I posted some raw photos of my entry into the club, but I just got this picture from my not-so-local comic shop today (they submitted it for me)!  

I bought it knowing it was trimmed. I wanted a nice presenting copy and the choice was between a really beat up Blue labels or going purple. 

What was a little surprising was,  I thought it had color touch,  which apparently it didn't. 

image0.jpeg

On 8/8/2020 at 1:59 AM, Gotham Kid said:

That looks like a 9.0+ if not for the scraping ... still unsure how this ended up a 7.0 afterwards, (shrug)

1 hour ago, GAMBIT said:

That looks like a 9.0+ if not for the scraping ... still unsure how this ended up a 7.0 afterwards, (shrug)

I think you answered your own question there. 9.0+ with damage can be a 7.0. My 3.5 would be a 9.0+ as well if not for all the spine stress and creasing. 

On 8/21/2020 at 7:24 AM, GAMBIT said:

I wouldn't trade my 5.0 for that book.  

Hmm.  I would trade up a 5.0 for THAT book any day of the week!  Are we talking about the same book -- the Heritage IH#1 7.0 that was minimally scraped along spine to remove some CT?   

lf?set=path%5B2%2F2%2F4%2F7%2F3%2F22473353%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

At the end of the day, structurally that's a 7.0 with white pages, which also happens to look pretty darn good despite the minimal scraping at the spine.  Not only does IH#1 have low census numbers compared to other mega keys, a 7.0 is top 9.5% on CGC census (41 7.0s total), whereas a 5.0 is only top 28.8%.   

Anyway, this book sold in July for  $43,200, highest paid for a 7.0 that I know of up to that point, at least during the last two years.  Hulks above 5.0 don't come up for sale that often.  But again, regardless, this books looks nice for a 7.0 (particularly the black and dark areas overall of the FC), so I just disagree with the hate.  Congrats to whoever bought that book.  

Edited by Pantodude

7 hours ago, Pantodude said:

Hmm.  I would trade up a 5.0 for THAT book any day of the week!  Are we talking about the same book -- the Heritage IH#1 7.0 that was minimally scraped along spine to remove some CT?   

lf?set=path%5B2%2F2%2F4%2F7%2F3%2F22473353%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

At the end of the day, structurally that's a 7.0 with white pages, which also happens to look pretty darn good despite the minimal scraping at the spine.  Not only does IH#1 have low census numbers compared to other mega keys, a 7.0 is top 9.5% on CGC census (41 7.0s total), whereas a 5.0 is only top 28.8%.   

Anyway, this book sold in July for  $43,200, highest paid for a 7.0 that I know of up to that point, at least during the last two years.  Hulks above 5.0 don't come up for sale that often.  But again, regardless, this books looks nice for a 7.0 (particularly the black and dark areas overall of the FC), so I just disagree with the hate.  Congrats to whoever bought that book.  

i find the color touch removal to be quite the eyesore. at this price, and this grade, i think the book should present better. just my opinion. and i am a white page addict. but i'd never buy thus book unless it were heavily discounted. 

17 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I have a 6.5 that I would not trade straight up for that 7.0.

I wouldn't trade either!! That is an overgraded 7.0, in my very humble opinion. Manipulating a book - in this case actually removing traces of the book - to counter earlier manipulation is folly at best. I am reminded of a dog chasing it's own tail. Is a micro-trim all that different than removing the upper surface of the cover?? It seems like there are some highly arbitrary winds that blow through this hobby every few years...  :whistle:

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I have a 6.5 that I would not trade straight up for that 7.0.

52 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

I wouldn't trade either!! That is an overgraded 7.0, in my very humble opinion. Manipulating a book - in this case actually removing traces of the book - to counter earlier manipulation is folly at best. I am reminded of a dog chasing it's own tail. Is a micro-trim all that different than removing the upper surface of the cover?? It seems like there are some highly arbitrary winds that blow through this hobby every few years...  :whistle:

Your 6.5 is really nice, with great centering so perhaps I wouldn't trade up either!   

But different strokes for different folks, who might prefer the noticeably less wear along the spine and the corners on that 7.0, and more robust top staple area, or just prefer the 7.0.  For some folks, it's not just about the cover.  Does anyone still remember the days before slabs existed? 

Regardless, it seems like a bad practice to pooh pooh other people's books -- the buyer of the 7.0 could be a boardie!  Even if not a boardie, comments like that discourage actual members from posting their pix of books with similar issues or simply of lower grades.  :(

The purpose of this thread was to encourage folks to showcase whatever IH#1 they were lucky enough to obtain/afford, but also for us to show some appreciation (not disparagement) of someone's book. :preach: No?

Edited by Pantodude

20 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

Your 6.5 is really nice, with great centering so perhaps I wouldn't trade up either!   

But different strokes for different folks, who might prefer the noticeably less wear along the spine and the corners on that 7.0, and more robust top staple area, or just prefer the 7.0.  For some folks, it's not just about the cover.  Does anyone still remember the days before slabs existed? 

Regardless, it seems like a bad practice to pooh pooh other people's books -- the buyer of the 7.0 could be a boardie!  Even if not a boardie, comments like that discourage actual members from posting their pix of books with similar issues or simply of lower grades.  :(

The purpose of this thread was to allow folks to showcase whatever IH#1 they were lucky enough to obtain/afford, but also for us to show some appreciation (not disparagement) of someone's book. :preach: No?

i agree with you, i dont want to poop on anyone's parade. i simply stated that i dont care for the look of it. but i was not under the impression someone had shared it here as a recent acquisition. if so, i was out of line. i think owning any hulk 1 is infinitely preferable to not owning one!

6 hours ago, Pantodude said:

The purpose of this thread was to encourage folks to showcase whatever IH#1 they were lucky enough to obtain/afford, but also for us to show some appreciation (not disparagement) of someone's book. :preach: No?

Point taken, I certainly mean no offense to the owner of the 7.0.  In many aspects, it's a very nice book.