• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HULK # 1 CLUB
20 20

3,618 posts in this topic

One thing to keep in mind is, Heritage scans are seriously amped up.  The colors are going to look like @Sweet Lou 14's nice 6.5, normal and not artificially enhanced.   Only difference is, it will have large white marks on the spine where color touch was scraped off.  I feel CGC is generous in grading these types of books to promote new scraping candidates for CCS.   There's no way that is a 7.0

Edited by comicdonna

1 hour ago, comicdonna said:

One thing to keep in mind is, Heritage scans are seriously amped up.  The colors are going to look like @Sweet Lou 14's nice 6.5, normal and not artificially enhanced.   Only difference is, it will have large white marks on the spine where color touch was scraped off.  I feel CGC is generous in grading these types of books to promote new scraping candidates for CCS.   There's no way that is a 7.0

UNLESS, as in the pre-slab days, structural integrity remains a real thing, along with cosmetic desirability.   In that case, like someone remarked earlier, that book appears to have been discounted down from like an 8.5/9.0 to the 7.0, arguably a more than sufficient discount for the cosmetic  hit.   Your position sounds either like a purist stance (anti-unrestore) or too cover-centric, either of which is fine, of course.  To each his own.   But it unduly diminishes the other factors making up the technical grade.  In the end, this book COULD be a technical 7.0. 

Imagine a cute kitten had instead scratched off a bit of color along the spine of the book we are talking about (instead of scraped off by a human)....it would be at least a 7.0 because of how it presents overall and the minimal wear on spine and staple areas, sharp corners, etc.    

Edited by Pantodude

15 hours ago, Pantodude said:

UNLESS, as in the pre-slab days, structural integrity remains a real thing, along with cosmetic desirability.   In that case, like someone remarked earlier, that book appears to have been discounted down from like an 8.5/9.0 to the 7.0, arguably a more than sufficient discount for the cosmetic  hit.   Your position sounds either like a purist stance (anti-unrestore) or too cover-centric, either of which is fine, of course.  To each his own.   But it unduly diminishes the other factors making up the technical grade.  In the end, this book COULD be a technical 7.0. 

Imagine a cute kitten had instead scratched off a bit of color along the spine of the book we are talking about (instead of scraped off by a human)....it would be at least a 7.0 because of how it presents overall and the minimal wear on spine and staple areas, sharp corners, etc.    

i'm thinking you are the guy who bought this book. if so, congrats!

6 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i'm thinking you are the guy who bought this book. if so, congrats!

I wish!  :cloud9:  An 8.5/9.0 IH1 is top 2%(!) census, here discounted down to 7.0 (top 9.5%) for cosmetic reason that still results in a very nice-looking book. IH1 has much fewer books in higher grades than other mega keys.  That 7.0 was a steal.  But if it wasn't, we really shouldn't disparage it or any other book, at least not in this (appreciation) thread.  There are, or easily could be, other threads for that.  

Edited by Pantodude

I don't see any offense in criticizing a book, it's not like criticizing a person, you may or may not like a book for different reasons and you have the right to express yourself, what the heck, is this a Hulk #1 discussion thread or not? Should censorship be here too? and about a book?!

Personally I do not own a Hulk #1 yet unfortunately and it is a big hole in my run but I know I would not like to have that 7.0 in my collection. Some people would be happy with it, good for them, but I am not one of them.

1 hour ago, pickycollector said:

I don't see any offense in criticizing a book, it's not like criticizing a person, you may or may not like a book for different reasons and you have the right to express yourself, what the heck, is this a Hulk #1 discussion thread or not? Should censorship be here too? and about a book?!

Oh boy.  This is not about censorship.  More like discouraging the hijacking of a thread for a counterproductive purpose?  I thought this was (at least partially) an IH#1 appreciation thread, ala "I have one, show me yours!", with the goal of encouraging folks to share their IH#1 in whatever condition/grade it is.  Why would someone share their book (for pride of ownership) if other members could be expected to disparage that book so that they could feel better/smug about their own books?   it's easy enough to create another themed thread.  

That said, if I am mistaken about the goals of this thread, or readers just don't care enough about the share-your-book aspect of this thread or whether folks become less likely to share their books, carry on!  

Edited by Pantodude

9 minutes ago, pickycollector said:

I did not see anyone claiming they were the proud owner of that Hulk #1 7.0 in this thread, just some people comparing how happy they were to own their personal copy compared to that Frankenstein book. 

Personally, I think that 7.0 did look better when it was in the purple label.

That person certainly isn't going to now!   :roflmao: Like I said, i guess you opt to "carry on."   (thumbsu

30 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

Oh boy.  This is not about censorship.  More like discouraging the hijacking of a thread for a counterproductive purpose?  I thought this was (at least partially) an IH#1 appreciation thread, ala "I have one, show me yours!", with the goal of encouraging folks to share their IH#1 in whatever condition/grade it is.  Why would someone share their book (for pride of ownership) if other members could be expected to disparage that book so that they could feel better/smug about their own books?   it's easy enough to create another themed thread.  

That said, if I am mistaken about the goals of this thread, or readers just don't care enough about the share-your-book aspect of this thread or whether folks become less likely to share their books, carry on!  

This is the Hulk 1 club where we show our copies and discuss all aspects of the book.  Perhaps YOU could start a thread that only allows pictures.  :baiting:  

23 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

This is the Hulk 1 club where we show our copies and discuss all aspects of the book.  Perhaps YOU could start a thread that only allows pictures.  :baiting:  

Why do YOU sound offended?  Just expressing a concern.  And why would i need to start a new thread, silly goose?   Like I said, if I mistook the goal/purpose of this thread, then by all means carry on.  These emojis are limited, so here goes.  

:tink:

Edited by Pantodude

2 hours ago, namisgr said:

Here's another 7.0 with white pages for comparison.  As far as the grading goes, it has a much better looking spine, but a bit of minor wear along the bottom edge:

Hulk1front-1.thumb.jpg.269c17d8cddec0520e3fdb8db441cd49.jpg

:cloud9:...and this is at the other end of the 7.0 white page spectrum....I'd expect this to sell for more than $43k though as it's nicer than alot of 7.5's out there

8 hours ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Also, I don’t want people who collect high grade copies to not talk about smaller imperfections and their opinions.  Over in the FF thread there was some drama for the same reason.  Sometimes people who struggle to buy beater copies freak out when someone talks smack about an 8.0.

I don't have any evidence for this, but I think the unwritten rule around here seems to be that people feel comfortable critiquing a book "for its grade."  I think it's VERY bad form to criticize an 8.0 by comparing it to your nicer 9.0.  But it's generally acceptable to say that you prefer this 8.0 to that 8.0.

This is rampant in the AF 15 discussion because (a) that book has plentiful supply, (b) edge chipping is highly prevalent, and most of all (c) there is extreme anxiety about prices among people who are actively speculating on the book.  So it's extremely common for mid-grade copies to be compared and criticized based on their level of chipping.  For me, the scraping on that 7.0 Hulk #1 has a similar impact on eye appeal.  I think it's OK to say that there are more appealing 7.0s or even, in my case and IMHO, a more appealing 6.5.  But it would not be OK to say "here's a better-looking 7.5."

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

38 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

@Sweet Lou 14 - Are we not supposed to buy the grade and not the book? :baiting:

Your copy is beautiful, like all of your other books.

I have serious OCD and almost never buy books with a .5 at the end of the grade.  I know, I'm nuts.  So yes, for me to buy this book I was definitely focused on the book and not the grade.