• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anti CGC

246 posts in this topic

Hello to all my fellow collectors! I want to know if there is anyone out there that hates CGC as much as I do. It disgusts me that CGC has taken over my hobby. I refuse to pay thousands of dollars over what a comic is worth just so I can get some plastic over my comic and a 9.4 or 9.6 grade. I think this is ridiculous. Comics were meant to be read or at least looked inside. I have at least looked inside ALL my comics even the very expensive ones because that was the intention. Slabbing baseball cards and coins is a good thing. I wouldnt have it any other way but thats because they only have a front and back. Comics were not meant to be slabbed. As a matter of fact, where I live, in the DC, MD, VA area at the small conventions, nobody has CGC books for sale. Even when I go to the bigger cons like Baltimore comic con, most people have raw books. And when I talk to the dealers, most of them say they hate CGC. I dont even think their grading is that great. Everybody has seen that Action 1 with the big chunk missing and they graded it a 2.5 when it should have been graded a fair. And yes I do have some CGC books, about 10 and some I disagree with the grade. I have these books because I intend to sell them in the near future but it would have been nice if I could have seen the inside. Most of the time when I buy a CGC book, I open it because the stupid plastic annoys me. I just dont get it. I wish CGC would just go away!!!!!!!!!!

To be fair..

If you dont like them, dont buy them. But mostly there are plenty collectors here who only buy raw. As comics were meant to be read. However reading GA comics is generally more of a labor of love.

I collect CGC graded books for a few reasons. Sometimes I pay ALOT less then guide for the books I want, sometimes I just want to own the book graded. In the end I am doing whatever I want to do and if CGC were here, or any other company it would change nothing. I collect whatever I want to collect...

Why not just sit back, enjoy the boards and talk about comics instead of your dislike of what the comic is being stored in. I have books in Mylars that I would not want to handle too much, slab is the same thing to me..

First off, I am also confused why you are on a CGC forum board but "hate" CGC.

But anyway I wanted to say this:

Not all, but a lot of raw collectors that do not own CGC'd books love buying CGC for the grade guarantee. Once in there possession they un-slab the book and enjoy. Even if you hate CGC'd books and perhaps the prices. I think you can even agree that for a raw collector a CGC case and the guarantee is worth the extra $$$ to know what you are getting. I went through a time, years ago when I was new to the internet buying scene where I would ONLY buy CGC books even if it was a book I wanted to read. Just so I had the comfort of knowing it was not restored and the grade was legitimate. Once the book was in my posses ion I would de-slab it if I wanted to read it.

My opinion - even if you do not like CGC'd books in the slabs, I think that raw collectors and CGC collectors alike can agree that CGC has done wonders for the hobby.

I love CGC, and am thankful they are around.

Comics were not meant to be slabbed. As a matter of fact, where I live, in the DC, MD, VA area at the small conventions, nobody has CGC books for sale.

The Washington, Maryland, and Virginia con dealers you just referred to as "nobody" would like to have a conversation with you about your penchant for biased exaggeration and the value of a less-biased third-party opinion and professional restoration check. (tsk)

Hello to all my fellow collectors! I want to know if there is anyone out there that hates CGC as much as I do. It disgusts me that CGC has taken over my hobby. I refuse to pay thousands of dollars over what a comic is worth just so I can get some plastic over my comic and a 9.4 or 9.6 grade. I think this is ridiculous. Comics were meant to be read or at least looked inside. I have at least looked inside ALL my comics even the very expensive ones because that was the intention. Slabbing baseball cards and coins is a good thing. I wouldnt have it any other way but thats because they only have a front and back. Comics were not meant to be slabbed. As a matter of fact, where I live, in the DC, MD, VA area at the small conventions, nobody has CGC books for sale. Even when I go to the bigger cons like Baltimore comic con, most people have raw books. And when I talk to the dealers, most of them say they hate CGC. I dont even think their grading is that great. Everybody has seen that Action 1 with the big chunk missing and they graded it a 2.5 when it should have been graded a fair. And yes I do have some CGC books, about 10 and some I disagree with the grade. I have these books because I intend to sell them in the near future but it would have been nice if I could have seen the inside. Most of the time when I buy a CGC book, I open it because the stupid plastic annoys me. I just dont get it. I wish CGC would just go away!!!!!!!!!!

You disagree with some of the grades? Tell me more.

Isnt Basement comics from Maryland? Yea, Al is from Maryland. Therefore this logic iz flawed.

Yes, and their racks always abound with CGC books. Virtually all of the dealers with large inventories in the Mid-Atlantic region have at least a few slabs on their racks, and I frequently see modern 9.8 books on some dealers' racks as well. It's really the opposite of what Bo is saying. I think most long-time dealers try to have at least 2-3 slabs up on their wall because they think it draws attention, with some notable anti-CGC exceptions such as Muchin.

I hate banana pudding. Does anyone hate banana pudding as much as I do? I hate how banana pudding has tarnished the reputation of good pudding, like chocolate, or even tapioca.
I LOVE banana pudding!

Comics were not meant to be slabbed. As a matter of fact, where I live, in the DC, MD, VA area at the small conventions, nobody has CGC books for sale.

The Washington, Maryland, and Virginia con dealers you just referred to as "nobody" would like to have a conversation with you about your penchant for biased exaggeration and the value of a less-biased third-party opinion and professional restoration check. (tsk)

(thumbs u