• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anti CGC

246 posts in this topic

I hate banana pudding. Does anyone hate banana pudding as much as I do? I hate how banana pudding has tarnished the reputation of good pudding, like chocolate, or even tapioca.
I LOVE banana pudding!

Then you're part of the problem. (tsk)

I hate banana pudding. Does anyone hate banana pudding as much as I do? I hate how banana pudding has tarnished the reputation of good pudding, like chocolate, or even tapioca.
I LOVE banana pudding!

Then you're part of the problem. (tsk)

:sorry: I am a banana pudding apologist

Worst deal

A few years ago, I bought a Marvel Mystery 92 on Ebay. I flipped through the pages and put it way because I dont read my expensive books. Then about 6 months later, I decided that I wanted to look at the Witness story. Guess what? There was no Witness story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lmao I can laugh about this now but it was a learning experience. In case you are wondering, it was a low grade copy. I think I spent a little less than 300 for it.

I LOVE banana pudding!

My mom's banana pudding is an absolute 10.0. Best you've ever had.

I love banana pudding so much I make large batches, spread it on my nipples and walk through the local mall. Lots of people mumble 'nuts' but I correct them 'banana'.

With regards to CGC, I love raw books but I've been burned too many times by dishonest or unskilled sellers who overgrade or don';t disclose restoration or trimming.

You can bet your last dime that most dealers in the OP area send high grade books to CGC to maximize the selling price. I've found that mid grade and lower books don't sell for significant premiums to guide or raw books and buying those books in a CGC holder is a bargain.

First off, I am also confused why you are on a CGC forum board but "hate" CGC.

But anyway I wanted to say this:

Not all, but a lot of raw collectors that do not own CGC'd books love buying CGC for the grade guarantee. Once in there possession they un-slab the book and enjoy. Even if you hate CGC'd books and perhaps the prices. I think you can even agree that for a raw collector a CGC case and the guarantee is worth the extra $$$ to know what you are getting. I went through a time, years ago when I was new to the internet buying scene where I would ONLY buy CGC books even if it was a book I wanted to read. Just so I had the comfort of knowing it was not restored and the grade was legitimate. Once the book was in my posses ion I would de-slab it if I wanted to read it.

My opinion - even if you do not like CGC'd books in the slabs, I think that raw collectors and CGC collectors alike can agree that CGC has done wonders for the hobby.

I love CGC, and am thankful they are around.

Pretty much my opinion as well. I don't own any slabs but I've bought plenty and cracked them, and the reason I do is I know the grade, and actually since their grading is generally pretty conservative I feel like I'm going to get a "nice looking" example of the particular grade. For example, I just bought a Sea Devils 1 4.5 that has the eye appeal of a 5.5.

Also, the prices are only astronomical for the really high-grade stuff. I usually don't have to pay too much of a premium for mid-grade Silver.

So...I don't use CGC, but I'm glad they're around.

Hello to all my fellow collectors! I want to know if there is anyone out there that hates CGC as much as I do. It disgusts me that CGC has taken over my hobby. I refuse to pay thousands of dollars over what a comic is worth just so I can get some plastic over my comic and a 9.4 or 9.6 grade. I think this is ridiculous. Comics were meant to be read or at least looked inside. I have at least looked inside ALL my comics even the very expensive ones because that was the intention. Slabbing baseball cards and coins is a good thing. I wouldnt have it any other way but thats because they only have a front and back. Comics were not meant to be slabbed. As a matter of fact, where I live, in the DC, MD, VA area at the small conventions, nobody has CGC books for sale. Even when I go to the bigger cons like Baltimore comic con, most people have raw books. And when I talk to the dealers, most of them say they hate CGC. I dont even think their grading is that great. Everybody has seen that Action 1 with the big chunk missing and they graded it a 2.5 when it should have been graded a fair. And yes I do have some CGC books, about 10 and some I disagree with the grade. I have these books because I intend to sell them in the near future but it would have been nice if I could have seen the inside. Most of the time when I buy a CGC book, I open it because the stupid plastic annoys me. I just dont get it. I wish CGC would just go away!!!!!!!!!!

Let's all welcome Greg White to the Boards. :applause:

Hello to all my fellow collectors! I want to know if there is anyone out there that hates CGC as much as I do. It disgusts me that CGC has taken over my hobby. I refuse to pay thousands of dollars over what a comic is worth just so I can get some plastic over my comic and a 9.4 or 9.6 grade. I think this is ridiculous. Comics were meant to be read or at least looked inside. I have at least looked inside ALL my comics even the very expensive ones because that was the intention. Slabbing baseball cards and coins is a good thing. I wouldnt have it any other way but thats because they only have a front and back. Comics were not meant to be slabbed. As a matter of fact, where I live, in the DC, MD, VA area at the small conventions, nobody has CGC books for sale. Even when I go to the bigger cons like Baltimore comic con, most people have raw books. And when I talk to the dealers, most of them say they hate CGC. I dont even think their grading is that great. Everybody has seen that Action 1 with the big chunk missing and they graded it a 2.5 when it should have been graded a fair. And yes I do have some CGC books, about 10 and some I disagree with the grade. I have these books because I intend to sell them in the near future but it would have been nice if I could have seen the inside. Most of the time when I buy a CGC book, I open it because the stupid plastic annoys me. I just dont get it. I wish CGC would just go away!!!!!!!!!!

Whos Greg White? Dont know the name.

He's the Anti-CGC. :gossip:

I don't want to preach, but I would like to answer your question seriously. For myself personally, I do not hate CGC and as a matter of fact, I love CGC. If I had it my way, I'd slab every single book in my collection and not think twice about it. While that might not be financially practical, CGC's prices are very reasonable for the services they provide. I'll give you the run-down.

1) Grading

Don't ever take this for granted. There are people who have been in the hobby for decades who are far from perfect in regards to their grading. Although it depends upon which criteria you use, etc, etc, it is a valuable service to have people who's careers plain and simple is grading, to provide the service for you. They say "don't buy the label, buy the book" and its true. Not everyone will agree with every grade but what CGC does is provide you with a reliable opinion, it is up to the collector to interpret the grade afterwards.

2) Restoration Check

As I mentioned regarding people's ability to grade, many collectors struggle even more with restoration detection. For starters, most of us don't have the same tools and equipment at our disposal, and even as collectors, many of us are far from restoration experts. If you don't care at all about restoration then I suppose this won't be an issue for you but the market does very much care about restoration and CGC provides the detection needed for buyers who don't want to be either mis-led or mis-informed when making their purchases.

3) Protection

It is my personal opinion that in most instances, CGC's slab is worth the asking price alone. It is a fantastic way to protect some of your more valuable comic books. I have no issue at all with not being able to "read" my more valuable books. I respect the fact that many collectors enjoy doing so and it is their right given that they have invested their money into the purchase of the books to begin with. I can only speak for me and like it or not, reading your comic books is very likely to impact the condition of your book. With some lower graded books you will not likel be able to tell the difference, especially if you are careful, but flipping through pages does not favors to the spine, the cover, the staples, or the pages themselves. Once encapsulated, your book is better protected from a number of harmful factors that could contribute to lowering the books grade. If you do not care to ever re-sell the book and condition isn't a factor for you then by all means, enjoy reading through them. Again, I can only speak for myself personally as I am more than fine with enjoying the cover-art and knowing that my book is safer, will likely last longer, and maintain a greater value.

Anti-CGC, and either unable or unwilling to spot resto. The man is a walking contradiction.

Anti-CGC, and either unable or unwilling to spot resto. The man is a walking contradiction.

How does Richie Muchin feel about Cgc ? lol

How does Richie Muchin feel about Cgc ? lol

I'd ask him, but he'd throw a raw golden age book in my face.

:signfunny:

For myself, I love banana pudding....if it's cold. I do not like warm banana pudding with a merainge on top. There is definitely something wrong with combining merainge and pudding. Vanilla wafers, ok. Bananas, ok. Merainge definitely a NO.

Also, pertaining to thread. I like cgc books without merainge too.