• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A how-to for building a dealer display rack out of PVC

75 posts in this topic

Curious what you added to the back of the rack when you made the base smaller. Also do you feel like you lose any durability with it? Do you still use the same rack or how does it stand up over the years? Thanks for the guide

I have used my portable comic wall rack for 3 years so far. Had to fix some of the 5/16 inch deep white horizontal struts that came off the super glue. Replaced with strong 2 sided tape trimmed to the width of the white plasticky struts:

Tilo6uXl.jpg

Comic wall rack's main dimensions are 6' tall, 4' wide for center panel, 2' wide for the 2 side panels that fan out. To save time, I usually prop my wall rack on 3 spare convention chairs and lean the top against a physical wall.

The top tier is taller to fit slabbed comics, mags, art prints, lithos. Bottom tiers designed to hold mylared comics.

1d1YHDPl.jpg

For Vancouver Fan Expo there is no physical wall to lean rack against. Booth size is tight at 8' x 8' with a curtained back drop and an 8' x 2' table to put your long boxes on.

To avoid the 3.5' estimated depth of a typical A-frame to prop up my wall rack, we designed 4 stilts 6'6 inches tall (depends on depth of your mini-van or SUV) to elevate the rack. The bottom angular mini-A frame is only 6 inches along the outside dimension. Drilled 2 x 1/4 inch holes per stilt that will fit through the pine wood frame and fibreglass like backing wall. Simple, insufficiently_thoughtful_person-proof bolt, washer and 1/4 inch butterfly nut through each drilled hole to attach the 4 stilts. The fewer tools needed the better, as one usually leaves key doh! tool at home as too busy moving the long boxes.

RmUXZAhl.jpg

Very cool. Reducing the footprint is important if you have a lot of books or a lot of friends. :) A setup we often use it to take two of Shin's aluminum racks (6' wide) and have those as the two inner sides of a corner booth, and the outer side is the 8' table the con provides plus a 6' table I bring. This still leaves room inside (thanks to the smaller footprint) for a 4' interior table and generally seats for 3 boardies. Tight but okay.

Strings are definitely a must, I agree. Often someone else's rack is right behind yours with only a curtain between and if they bump theirs, yours can sometimes get hit.

Definitely - and this is what I use for my string setup. The hooks get screwed into the pillar, about 1" down from each fitting, and the elastic string then latches onto the hooks - keeps the books completely in place:

string1.jpg

Awesome post. (Do you fish?)

The "elastic string" looks like fishing line. Regardless, if there's any line twist, maybe a ball bearing swivel?

842143990_o.jpg

Just throwing it out there as it looks like you crimped the end.

Very cool. Reducing the footprint is important if you have a lot of books or a lot of friends. :) A setup we often use it to take two of Shin's aluminum racks (6' wide) and have those as the two inner sides of a corner booth, and the outer side is the 8' table the con provides plus a 6' table I bring. This still leaves room inside (thanks to the smaller footprint) for a 4' interior table and generally seats for 3 boardies. Tight but okay.

Strings are definitely a must, I agree. Often someone else's rack is right behind yours with only a curtain between and if they bump theirs, yours can sometimes get hit.

Definitely - and this is what I use for my string setup. The hooks get screwed into the pillar, about 1" down from each fitting, and the elastic string then latches onto the hooks - keeps the books completely in place:

string1.jpg

Awesome post. (Do you fish?)

The "elastic string" looks like fishing line. Regardless, if there's any line twist, maybe a ball bearing swivel?

842143990_o.jpg

Just throwing it out there as it looks like you crimped the end.

Swivel is a great idea. Never used one, just a loop at the end. I bought a

heavy black elastic thread at a fabric shop. Almost the size of a shoe string

in a tight pair of men's oxfords or wingtips.

I think we strapped 10 pound fishing line or whatever was on sale to prevent the mylars from tipping forward too much.

Main 6' x 4' backing panel of my comic wall rack is made of Coroplast but I recommend Comotex (sp?) to reduce the weight more.

I have held off commenting on this thread for five years.

If you get skillful there is nothing you cannot do with the adult tinker toy known as PVC piping. The 2.0 design will be improved for this year's tailgate but here was Tiki Bar 1.0 and 2.0.

Tiki 1.0

58657_429048152962_8292124_n.jpg

Tiki 2.0

1170778_10151617757652963_1563831836_n.jpg

Had began brought some wood, hinges and did some measures. Since I already have lot of screws at home, so it cost nothing. Still need to buy white sheet for background, more wood and few items. Next weekend should get me start cutting to size up and assemble up my new wall rack. :D

I haven't had a chance to post my newest built stand yet but once life slows down I will do a full posting on it. Its made out of Aluminum J trim and a pair of support stands, the stand is extremely compact and can't be easily transported.

I just finished building an 8' by 10' pvc comic rack. It was a major league PITA. Fortunately my next door neighbor is a professional cabinet maker. He made me a jig and lent me a router to cut out the shelves. Without this I would have given up. PVC is extremely messy once you make a lot of cuts.

:wishluck: the thing holds together well at the Con