• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western comics.
11 11

2,258 posts in this topic

here's my contribution (though, a few star rangers I have are western themed)

image_zpsc0qkcozt.jpeg

Nice rick, I have the 1 and 4 (the 2 and 3 are toughies)

That cover on the 4 is so bad, it cracks me up! :)

:applause: Great group shot.

You can send the 2 and 3 my way if you ever get embarrassed by having westerns in your collection.

Thanks! Hemi, a favor if you could - would you mind running your Kids from #1 to #46, first code for this title? Looking at the registry pics (thank you for that btw, most don't bother) is awesome, but there aint nothing to compare with beautiful full scans right here in our Western thread. Where they will be appreciated as they deserve.

You can repost 11 & 12, it's all right with me, I like to see them in order. Any narrative about the issues would be great too. Some of us remember how we got each issue - from who, when, and details about the transaction that make it meaningful. The origin tale associated with your #11, for instance - a killer anecdote that puts a whole OO spin onto the tale. OO fables are like grown up geeky fairy tales to us.

So I'll just take a seat by the campfire, get some Joe brewin, and wait for ol Hemi to come strollin in with a story for us - "Boys, let me tell ya about the Kid. There were a lot of Kids in those days. But this one was the baddest of the bunch. This one was Kid Colt...Outlaw."

Thanks! Hemi, a favor if you could - would you mind running your Kids from #1 to #46, first code for this title? Looking at the registry pics (thank you for that btw, most don't bother) is awesome, but there aint nothing to compare with beautiful full scans right here in our Western thread. Where they will be appreciated as they deserve.

You can repost 11 & 12, it's all right with me, I like to see them in order. Any narrative about the issues would be great too. Some of us remember how we got each issue - from who, when, and details about the transaction that make it meaningful. The origin tale associated with your #11, for instance - a killer anecdote that puts a whole OO spin onto the tale. OO fables are like grown up geeky fairy tales to us.

So I'll just take a seat by the campfire, get some Joe brewin, and wait for ol Hemi to come strollin in with a story for us - "Boys, let me tell ya about the Kid. There were a lot of Kids in those days. But this one was the baddest of the bunch. This one was Kid Colt...Outlaw."

+1

Would love to see those posts Hemi. It would be a fitting treatment for such a great run of books.

Nice pick up with the issue 31 - one of the issues I found hard to find.

Outlaw Fighters now on my list!

Didn't have the Jimmy Wakely and trying to complete the set.

The other issues except the # 22 are Canadian editions so different but not upgrades.

The # 22 is one of my favourite covers and picked up in the bunch along with #'s 20 and 21.

Been away from the boards and just received your request. Heck ya I’ll post #1 through #46. I’m thrilled that you guys would be interested, and would want to see them. The gentlemen on these boards are the best people around. And I have met many great people such as your self. So thanks again for taking an interest.

Putting this set together to the point it’s at currently has literally been a 35-year quest. Listing all of the various and many different ways that I have acquired these books would literally take a “War and Peace” type diatribe. But I’ll do my best to condense.

In the early days (around 1980 when I was 10 years old) I started to seriously collect comic books. As everybody knows, back then you either went to your LCB store or you ordered books via ads in Overstreet. Scraping together enough money to go to the store and buy back issue books became a passion. I just could not get over the coolness of buying books that went all the way back to the 60’s. In hindsight, I wish I had acquired all of the Marvel super hero books that I could get my hands on. To think what some of them would be worth today. I remember distinctly seeing a F.F. #1 on the wall in probably VF/NM for $300. Well $300 for a 10yr. back in 1980 was like a million, and not an option. Super hero books were also bountiful and everywhere. And they were still the rage back then. Because my Uncle had given me some cool, older 1960’s westerns I really started to get into them. I liked the stories, the covers were different, and most of all they went against the grain and they were cheap. I remember acquiring almost all of the mid sixties and up Kid Colt Outlaws. My oldest KC probably went back to #110. After a year or so I just could not get out of my mind that there had been 110 issues that came before my oldest book that started all the way back in 1948. What would those look like? Was there any left on the planet? How could somebody possibly get just one of those? Or at least even see one. Every year I would look at the new Overstreet price guide just to see if they listed a small B&W picture of one of the earlier KC’s that I have never seen. Then one day when I was at the LCB store with my Dad he happened to ask if they had any older issues. The guy literally went back to a walk in vault and came out with the KC #11. Holy Mother Mary and Joseph, a KC #11 !!!!!!! In pristine condition no less. The asking price was $12 and my Dad generously bought me the book. After that my OCD kicked in big time and 1 piece of the 110-piece puzzle was complete.

For the next 15 years I went on a quest to find any .10 or .12 cent KC book that I could find. The older the better. Looking back, that was really an enjoyable time. Many of you must remember the days when most back issues had no pictures that could be seen anywhere. The anticipation and excitement of ordering a book out of the Overstreet guide cannot be explained in today’s world. It went something like this: Get on the corded landline with your notebook want list on your lap (that was my 80’s laptop). Call long distance to every dealer that you could find and see if they have what you’re looking for. Put a want list in an envelope and send it to said dealer. If your lucky a month or so later the dealer will send you back a list with what he has and his assessed condition and prices. If you want something you then call long distance back to the dealer and tell him what you want. Then it’s a written check to the dealer sent via snail mail again. Hopefully in about a month the package arrives. But, I don’t think anything in the world can explain the feeling of opening that package for the first time and seeing books that you have never seen before that were made 20 years before you were born. Some of the dealers I remember were of course Metropolis, 4-Color, and Don Whyte. Don Whyte was an older gentleman out of New York and was really old school. I often wonder if he is still living. He use to access grades of A, B, and C to books, and did everything through the mail. Everything he did was also written in cursive. Invoices, want lists, everything.

Of course in the early 90’s the Internet changed absolutely everything. The very first place I went to was e-bay. Just to see the covers of so many of the books that I had never seen before. Searching for and buying books became a breeze. And many of my want list fills were quickly adding up.

By around 2000 I had a pretty nice run of the series (all ungraded) and it became evident what the elusive issues were. Many of the KC’s numbered in the 60’s (#61 through #69) were especially tough to find in higher grade. Especially #67. Kid Colt #6 was also a tough one in decent condition. But of course the holiest of holies Kid Colt #1 was never anywhere to be found. Once in 2002 a KC #1 popped up on e-bay and I snapped it up. I paid $100 and it graded (4.0).

Kid Colt #1 is well known for being impossible to find in high grade. In fact the only known copy above a (7.0) I had ever even heard of was the Mile High copy. The Mile High copy is the one pictured in the Gerber photo journal. So I knew that somewhere in this world there was at least one high grade example. But more than likely it is the only higher grade KC #1 that exists.

In short, my KC collection changed entirely thanks one thing, these boards.

Back in 2011 I was perusing the boards and came across a post talking about a very high grade bunch of Atlas books that Dave Kapelka had at some of the shows. Dave had purchased the books from someone that to this day (I do not know who) had kept them since the early 80’s (I know some people on the boards know who it was) my theory is that it was Ernest Gerber himself or one of his relatives. I know that he owned the KC #1 Mile High at one time. Anyhow, many of the books had not seen the light since the 80’s and had been squirreled away by this collector. Solely through these boards I found out that yes, the KC #1 Mile High was part of the collection. Along with the Mile High books #2 through #5. In addition many Ohio pedigree Kid Colt’s were also being sold. After finding out that Dale Roberts had acquired most of the books I began negotiating with him to purchase them. Dale was going to be at the Chicago Wizard World show so my family and I drove to Chicago. On day one of the show I walked over to Dale Roberts booth and laid eyes on the book that had eluded me for over 30 years. Plus an unbelievable bevy of other rare high grade Kid Colts’. I couldn’t give him my money fast enough, and I immediately packed them up and sent them home to Minnesota. All of the books were raw so all had to be graded. In the end the KC #1 graded out at an (8.5) which I am happy with. It was labeled by Greg Nelson to be a 9.0-9.2 but I think the slight mis-wrap hurts it some. Very nice White pages however. In August a pretty nice KC #1 came up on e-bay. It looked to me to be maybe a 7.5 which you never, never see. I didn’t see it until after the auction had ended or else I might have taken a shot. But the ungraded higher cost books on e-bay really scare me.

I would be amiss if I didn’t also give a big shout out to Mr. Glenn Malloy (4gemworks on the boards). Glenn had the #1 KC registry before I became a CGC member and he has been a wealth of knowledge and a great friend. Glenn had many of the top census Kid Colt books and was kind enough entertain a trade proposal I through at him. Basically we trade roughly 80 graded books with each other, helping each other out. No money changed hands and no contracts were drawn up. We just boxed up our books and sent them to each other. It was a beautiful thing. Glenn is really a great guy and sells really nice stuff on e-bay. Also check out his “four color” set, it’s amazing.

In closing I’ll show you a letter that I sent to Marvel studios a few years ago. Seeing all of the marvel movies come out I just couldn’t help myself. And I’m still waiting for my “thanks for the great idea” million dollar check.

"With so many Marvel movies in recent years I was wondering if any thought has ever been given to any of the great Marvel western characters? I for one was (and still am) a big fan of Kid Colt Outlaw. I know Rawhide Kid and Two-Gun Kid were also, for many years a big part of the Marvel Universe. With the Jonah Hex movie (which I know was ) and the more recent Lone Ranger movie (also ), it seems like Marvel would defiantly have a leg up as their characters are far superior, plus this is an untapped area for Marvel. A kick azz -script is the key. One with action, humor, and a good plot (not one used a thousand times before). Think of the cool villains, like Iron Mask, the Rattler, and Red Raven. They could have cool gadgets ala Wild Wild West. And maybe even tie in with the modern Marvel Universe somehow, example: at the end of the movie they all enter an old gold mine and discover the tesseract!!!

A great idea would be to have all 3 characters in one movie, "The Mighty Marvel Western" where Kid Colt, Rawhide Kid, and Two-Gun Kid would team up. Many successful westerns have done this, think Silverado, Tomb Stone, Young Guns, etc. A brief story on each character and why they became who they are could start the movie, "Blaine Colt framed for a murder he did not commit" and the movie is off and running. With this type of format sequels would be easy as there are countless bad guys, and I think, if done right, "The Mighty Marvel Western" could be a huge success. Heck I even know the actors: Charlie Hunnam for Kid Colt, Channing Tatum for Rawhide Kid, and Shia LaBeouf for Two Gun Kid. Are you telling me that wouldn’t be a hit? With the ladies too? And lets not forget, Stan Lee as the piano player in the saloon.”

photo kid colt 1 cgc 8.5_zpscsqoohta.jpg

photo kid colt 2 cgc 9.6_zpsxorrp8wu.jpg

photo kid colt 3 cgc 9.0_zps4lyjnsmc.jpg

photo kid colt 4 cgc 9.6_zpsmsl6uwvx.jpg

photo kid colt 5 cgc 9.4_zpstqprqtjm.jpg

photo kid colt 6 cgc 6.0_zpseohycpik.jpg

photo kid colt 7 cgc 7.5 _zps9tk1sf9i.jpg

photo kid colt 8 cgc 7.5_zpsaubgduv9.jpg

photo kid colt 9 cgc 9.2 _zps23x1rgoi.jpg

photo kid colt 10 cgc 7.5_zpsljvdty4h.jpg

photo Kid Colt 11 cgc 8.5_zpssvnujcqq.jpg

photo kid colt 12 cgc 9.0_zpsln0tmotn.jpg

photo kid colt 13 cgc 8.5_zpskyfbnuei.jpg

photo Kid Colt 14 cgc 8.0_zpsfhtyqj4c.jpg

photo Kid Colt 15 cgc 8.0_zps48r3kjdp.jpg

photo Kid Colt 16 cgc 8.0_zpslgd4gnuf.jpg

photo Kid Colt 17 cgc 9.0_zpsotnswzfs.jpg

photo Kid Colt 18 cgc 9.2_zpsrrxqrbt1.jpg

photo Kid Colt 19 cgc 8.5_zpszmc8a1yn.jpg

photo Kid Colt 20 cgc 8.5_zpsdfkjyh0s.jpg

photo kid colt 21 cgc 8.0 _zpsjk6paalu.jpg

photo Kid Colt 22 cgc 8.0_zpsiaeojptu.jpg

photo kid colt 23 cgc 8.0_zpsd3uj51gs.jpg

photo Kid Colt 24 cgc 9.4_zpsbl4nqusd.jpg

photo kid colt 25 cgc 6.0_zpsreejxn4l.jpg

photo kid colt 26 cgc 6.0 _zpskdetdkq3.jpg

photo kid colt 27 cgc 8.0_zpssqeu5b3a.jpg

photo Kid Colt 28 cgc 8.5_zpsnpoccant.jpg

photo kid colt 29 cgc 9.0_zpstwu7vflh.jpg

photo kid colt 30 cgc 8.5_zpsasfdnvij.jpg

photo kid colt 31 cgc 6.5_zpsf3nxvh69.jpg

photo Kid Colt 32 cgc 7.0_zpsr6dgl8jb.jpg

photo kid colt 33 cgc 7.5_zpsxlgahtqj.jpg

photo Kid Colt 34 cgc 8.5_zpstneme2r3.jpg

photo kid colt 35 cgc 8.0_zpsji70it3z.jpg

photo kid colt 36 cgc 8.0 _zpsqxgxlup2.jpg

photo kid colt 37 cgc 6.5 _zpsxxls73jr.jpg

photo kid colt 38 cgc 7.0 _zpsulxc667o.jpg

photo kid colt 39 cgc 7.5 _zpskxokfquy.jpg

photo kid colt 40 cgc 8.0_zpsrws6sfzx.jpg

photo Kid Colt 41 cgc 7.0_zpsyna72ar8.jpg

photo kid colt 42 cgc 8.5_zpsglcht0ku.jpg

photo kid colt 43 cgc 7.0_zpsd7fjjela.jpg

photo kid colt 44 cgc 8.5 _zpsa544oe3h.jpg

photo Kid Colt 45 cgc 7.0_zpsezrnvhjl.jpg

photo Kid Colt 46 cgc 8.5_zps1y2xu5zn.jpg

This is my 30th year of collecting high grade Atomic Age books. The set you just shared is astounding with respect to its completeness and quality. (worship) Besides being scarce in grade, those are not books that dealers regularly bring to Cons or that collectors bother trying to sell since they generally don't yield much.

Thanks for sharing the pictures and your story. :applause:

You done yourself proud, Hemi. When adamstrange calls it astounding, brother you can take that to the bank! And your OO tale is even better than a kid buying a book he loves and holding onto it all these years, building on it into something magical. Because it involves your Dad. So it's a father/son connection - and those are the most moving tales of all. Bedrock's got one of those. Jimbo, too!

And the connection moves on. I love seeing the books, but here's an image that makes my heart sing like a coyote at full moon. Hemi posted it a year or so ago in the Silver Marvel Western thread. I'd rather a cake like this from my kids than a Church Vancouver New Hampshire book anyday!

PS: I shouldn't be making fun of the New Hampshires. Ritter just put up a Kid Colt #4 9.4 New Hampshire, right behind the Church now, and it is smokin. $1250 in case you've got some spare change.

HemiCake_zpsrixhjbqz.jpg